In My Kitchen

apple and quince pie
In my last post I listed the meals I was planning to cook for the weekend. I cooked them, photographed most of them and ate all of them.

The apple and quince pie was a great success. I cooked one quince and three bramleys with a little sugar and nothing else before piling it into pie dish lined with shortcrust pastry made with half lard and half butter. I brushed the top crust with egg wash and sprinkled it with sugar before baking.


The butternut squash soup with sage and honey was also a success. I used one squash which I roasted in chunks before peeling and adding to onions and garlic softened in butter. I added a couple of handfuls of chopped sage and enough vegetable stock to cover the squash and simmered until all was soft. Then I blended it, added a spoonful of honey, salt, pepper and a splash of cream. Finally I frizzled some more sage leaves in olive oil to sprinkle on the top of each serving.

butternut squash with sage and honey

the pie prior to baking

Simple sausage and bean stew
This simple sausage and bean stew makes a frequent appearance on our plates. I use some of my vegetable hash as a base with a pinch of ground cloves and a pinch of chilli powder. A clove of garlic usually goes in too, plus a tin of tomatoes or passata, some veg like peppers, carrots or mushrooms, a couple of tins of beans -any kind, and lastly a couple of browned sausages per person. Then it goes in the oven for 40 minutes or so. Jacket potatoes make the best accompaniment.

tarmac and cream
Tom said the chocolate fudge pudding looked like tarmac which I thought was an improvement on cow pats.

carrot-apple-sunflower cake
This cake is a variation on this recipe. I replaced the walnuts with sunflower seeds (because I had no walnuts) and I substituted 5 fl oz of vegetable oil for 5 oz of the butter (because I was running low on butter). It was good, moist because of the oil and very tasty. I'm about to make another one.

I'm also about to make a big batch of veg hash, a double batch of quince and apple purée (to use up my ageing bramley apples), a big jar of quince brandy (for Christmas) and a hotpot of minced lamb with rosemary dumplings or scones (not sure which yet).

Comments

  1. Your squash soup looks so much nicer than the one I made last night. I couldn't be bothered roasting the squash so I just tipped it in, but it does make a difference. And I didn't have any cream! I think I'm getting a bit squashed-out - it's the peeling I hate - but there's still an enormous one that needs to be used up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your butternut squash soup is just what I have been looking for......thanks Sue.....roasting does make a difference....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to make some cake to take to church so I made a double portion of your depression era chocolate cake. It was great! I'll definitely be making that recipe again so thank you for it : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tarmac looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'd like to come to dinner at your place, everything looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the inspiration. I've got 19 for Sunday (buffet) lunch. That's only three and a bit familes. Do you ever cook for large numbers? I need well priced ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't Katharine. I don't like entertaining even for a few people - things I can usually make in my sleep go wrong when I have guests. I think I'd opt for a big vat of stew or slow-roasted pork shoulder. Or perhaps a baked ham with jacket potatoes and coleslaw, you could boil and bake them ham the day before- possibly not the cheapest option though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think it'll be stew. Plus get my guests to bring puddings.

      Delete
  8. Your recipes all turn out so well. These are the sort of things I used to attempt when our 3 were still at home with bottomless bellies!! Never looked as delicious as yours though I might add.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such deliciousness! The simple sausage and bean stew looks particularly good with that buttery jacket potato.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:50 pm BST

    Mmmmmmmmmmmm, please can I come for dinner. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tarmac - excellent. I wish someone cooked food like this for me! I'm sitting in my car, waiting for my daughter to finish her ballet lesson, and my stomach is rumbling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:52 pm BST

    Every last dish looks wonderful. I would be sorely tempted to say to anyone who dissed my food that they had just lost their portion, and eat it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom wasn't dissing the pudding, he loves it, but it does look like tarmac.

      Delete
  13. I do think how wonderful it must be to live in your house with such wonderful home cooked food on offer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am looking fretfully and hungrily for the 'Buy Online Now' link next to your photo of the quince and apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:49 am BST

    Very Yum!!!! - Sheridan in Q'ld.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that handwritten recipe for the chocolate pud.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just been given a lot of beautiful bramley's and three quince - now just have to find time to cook! Great inspiration, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quince pie looks divine and your soup so hearty. Love the name tarmac.
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I recently bought that exact same pie dish. It makes a perfect pie.
    Leanne x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tarmac. Brilliant.

    Love the new look - rather like a beautiful recipe notebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma, just a few tweaks make quite a difference.

      Delete
  21. Lovely pictures, you've got me fancying the sausage and beans now with a jacket potato for lunch ... gosh I'm so easily influenced .... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous10:10 pm GMT

    I am so glad that you are back blogging. Hooray! Liz N. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment