In My Kitchen


In my kitchen this week there has been a bunch of mint in a jug on the windowsill. I chopped it, mixed it with softened butter, shaped it into a two inch log, wrapped it in clingfilm and put it in my freezer. I will slice discs off to melt over grilled lamb or chicken. I also have sage butter in my freezer which is delicious with pork chops or turkey escalopes.


In my kitchen on Saturday there were six duck legs. I slow roasted four of them on top of potatoes, parsnips, shallots and sprigs of lemon thyme (note to self- make the leftover thyme into thyme butter). We ate the duck and potatoes with rocket, spinach and watercress salad. They were very good. I put the other two legs in to roast in a separate dish at the same time for another meal.


There was also an apple crumble spiced with cinnamon and cloves. Just enough for four. I reflect that I am getting better at cooking just enough food for the four of us. Before I have time to feel too pleased about this George calls to say he will be home on the 21st for the three week Easter break, after which he will be back in Hull for a mere seven weeks before the academic year ends.


On Sunday there were these delicious savoury pork burgers. These were inspired by the recipe for meatballs in Nigel Slater's Appetite. They are made from minced pork, herbs, garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and have little cubes of gruyère cheese pressed into them.


On Monday I took the meat off the two cooked duck legs and used the bones plus the ones from Saturday's meal to make stock. I added a carrot, an onion and a couple of celery stalks to the bones.


I froze most of the duck stock but saved some to cook the rice for this pilaff. When I roasted the two duck legs I saved the fat, I used it to fry the onion, spices and rice before adding the stock. While the rice was cooking I shredded the duck meat and skin and fried it until crisp and hot then stirred it into the rice with a handful of sultanas, some toasted almonds and some fried onions.


On Tuesday I made my fall-back meal and garlic bread to go with it.


On Wednesday we had dhal with eggs and peas. Cheap and very tasty. Yesterday I forgot to take a picture of our supper. It was chicken chow mein. I followed Ching- He Huang's video here adding matchsticks of carrots in place of some of the red pepper. It was fast and fabulous.



Comments

  1. Lovely recipes there! It is difficult isn't it, chopping and changing numbers at meals. Just when you think you have it sussed, they come home. Lovely to see them but it throws you out again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just before I read this, I removed a packet of minced beef from the freezer, to make yet another spag bol for tonight's dinner...humbled, I bow down to your Domestic Goddessness :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lot of lovely food comes from your kitchen! Those pork burgers sound amazing. I also love making herb butters to use meat or vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Is my first reaction to this post. On further consideration, I am moved to add another Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:58 am GMT

    I am about two thirds through Cotillion!!!. Weird, hay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:59 am GMT

    Perhaps, Hey!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh yum! I've just finished a boring bit of toast and a cup of tea and am now ravenously hungry for duck legs and spiced apple crumble! I love how you think ahead to future meals when you're making one - I need to learn to do this, I'm sure it's a great time saver. Isn't that s typical of children - just when you adapt to their vagaries they're changing again - sounds like you need to hold onto those cooking for 5 skills!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bugger. Wish I was making pilaff now...
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband is the cook (lucky me) - am forwarding this lovely post to him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all looks sooo delicious and beautiful. I wish I could taste each dish through the screen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is great to inspired by family meals. They can get me down, especially when not everyone always appreciates them. I think you're very brave putting your food photos in the eye. My meals would not look half as good as yours. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to write 'public eye'. Must proof-read in future.

      Delete
  12. Your duck legs look delicious. I don't think I've ever seen duck legs for sale here. You can get turkey legs or chicken leg quarters which I like to use.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in awe of your inventiveness. I can do it for a couple of days and then I run out of steam.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A whole week of deliciousness. The frozen herb butter is a great idea, I shall try and remember that for when there are herbs in the summer. I like making dahl, now you've reminded me of it I think I shall make one tomorrow. The eggs are a nice finishing touch, they'll be popular in this house. I hope you have a nice and a delicious weekend Sue. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sue, I think that you have got a very, very lucky family. They are the ones who actually get to dine upon the dishes you show us. As always, I learned from this post, and promise to let you know when I do actually put this inspiration into practice.

    Absolutely scrumptious! Beautiful to look at, imaginatively seasoned, and so, so well planned.

    Bravo! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore duck, any way that it is cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Duck is lovely, all your pictures are great and have made me very hungry, waiting for our treat of chinese take away! I do cook every other day, but we've 2 boys at home so decided to treat them :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cooking is such an inspiration to me! Thank you for sharing. I hope your family knows how very lucky they are to have you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. some great dishes, and I love all of the re-using of leftovers you do, no sense of waste! I love sage butter but had never thought of freezing it, great tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Sue,
    Good Lord the duck looks gorgeous.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. That all looks delicious - the duck legs especially! And I adore the smell of fresh mint. It reminds me of summers as a child.
    Looks pretty in the jug too.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was so glad to read this post - I make dhal reasonably often and have started to get a bit bored with the way I usually serve it. I just got some new ideas to change things up - thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment