Ridiculously Easy No-Knead Wholemeal Bread


Why you should make this loaf ~

1. It really is ridiculously easy.
2. There is no kneading at all.
3. It takes about a minute to mix, 30 minutes to rise and 40 minutes to bake.
4. It freezes brilliantly.
5. It is 100% wholemeal and therefore extremely Good For You.
6. It tastes absolutely wonderful -wheaty, nutty and moreish.
7. It makes fab toast and is, in short, the perfect daily bread.

Here's what you do ~

Empty a 1.5 kg bag of wholemeal bread flour into a large mixing bowl.
Add 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of quick yeast (the kind suitable for breadmakers).
Mix.


Measure out 1.2 litres of warm water. Put 1 tablespoon of honey or black treacle or soft brown sugar into the water, stir to dissolve it but don't worry if it doesn't dissolve completely. I used honey here.
Pour the water into the flour mixture.


Mix the whole lot together with a large spoon or your hands to make a thick, sticky porridge-like mixture. Make sure there are no clumps of dry flour.


Using your hands divide it between three buttered or oiled 2lb loaf tins. Level the surface with your hands.

Do excuse the poor quality of this photo

Cover with a damp towel and leave for 30 minutes to rise to just below the tops of the tins.


After 30 minutes

Bake for 40 minutes at 220°c (200°c fan oven).
Remove from tins and cool on a wire rack.


When completely cool place any loaves you can't use immediately in plastic bags and freeze.

This loaf has been frozen. As you can see it has not quite defrosted


Ingredients for three loaves (quantities for 1 loaf in brackets)

1.5kg (500g) wholemeal bread flour
1 tablespoon (1 teaspoon) salt
1 tablespoon (1 teaspoon) quick yeast
1 tablespoon (1 teaspoon) honey/black treacle/soft brown sugar
1.2 litres (400ml) warm water

30 mins proving
40 mins baking at 220°c (200°c fan)

You may recognise this recipe as a simplified version of Doris Grant's famous Grant loaf. There's a version in Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course which was my first introduction to it some years ago. It may not be my children's favourite, they would love it if I made big, crusty white loaves and nothing else, but I love it. It has flavour and substance and when you bite into a slice you feel you are eating real bread. Because that's what it is.

For a basic kneaded loaf see here.




Comments

  1. I can smell that from here! I going to get some flour and yeast tomorrow and making some.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three at a time? Brilliant and the no kneading even more so, definitely giving it a go. We baked a few loaves last year but it seemed we were always waiting for it to do something! Many thanks (again).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always bake 3 at a time, often 4. If you use tins you can get more in the oven -saves time and fuel.

      Delete
  3. That looks delicious - exactly my sort of bread. Will have to give this a go, adding ingredients to the shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:09 pm BST

    Would it work as a no-knead white bread if I used white bread flour instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried it with white flour. Try and see.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous1:16 pm BST

      I'll give it a try and let you know!!

      Delete
  5. How wonderful. I think toast with butter must be my most favorite food in the world. Will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely trying this! Thanks, Sue. (Although my husband and son would also prefer white bread. But I don't make that for them.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing Sue, will definitely give this a go, looks amazing and nutty x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so delicious and so easy. I must give it a go. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:56 pm BST

    I was reading some of your old posts while copying this recipe, ones about what you do all day. My life mirrors yours in many ways, but you do so much more, and do it better. I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind, but please don't be in awe I'm just an ordinary housewife who enjoys pottering around in her kitchen.

      Delete
  10. They are in the oven as I type. I have to say, I wasn’t sure about this but I have tried many of your recipes and they do work.

    I used black treacle and the smell in the warm water was not good. However, I have followed the recipe and so far all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Purely for research purposes (and cos I couldn’t wait) I have succumbed to temptation and cut a slice of this bread. It rose beautifully and the texture is great. I feel that the treacle flavour is a bit strong but that is personal taste - and what I had in the cupboard.

    I would definitely use this recipe again. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the bread came out well. Black treacle isn't my first choice either, I generally choose honey.

      Delete
  12. Doris Grant.... you've just time-travelled me backwards to the early 1980s, when her no-knead loaf was a staple. Now and then I managed a brick instead of a loaf, but I'm going to give this recipe a try again - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should warn you that this isn't a light, spongy loaf and some may describe it as brick-like although none the worse for being so.

      Delete
  13. I never would have thought it possible to make a no knead wholemeal, this is such a good idea Sue. You really should give that recipe book some thought you know. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy, but this is merely a slight modification of an existing recipe and not my own creation.

      Delete
    2. I am pretty sure Sue that most recipes in books are just modifications - or downright copies in some cases - of existing recipes so don't let that stop you! You modified it, so you should take the credit! xx

      Delete
  14. Sue, once again you have encouraged me to try a return to bread making. Even that bowl with the beautiful blue surface offers encouragement.

    Many thanks! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can smell bread baking! Auto suggestion is a wonderful thing ... just so long as I don't start craving a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks delicious...I'll definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This recipe worked wonderfully!
    I made the one loaf version (of which we've already ate more than half) Yummmmmmmmmmy!
    I fresh ground some Einkorn wheat berries with a sweet little hand crank grain mill we use, it doesn't make a super fine flour but this recipe worked great with the ever so slightly coarser flour we make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear Tracey, and how wonderful that you were able to use your hand ground flour.

      Delete
  18. oh wow.... I might have to try it as soon as I get home... (although it's not as you say... white and crusty... so I'll probably end up eating them all by myself....)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment