Christmas Granola

They keep asking when am I going to make mince pies. I say 'next week because if I make them now you will eat them all and then I will have to make more next week'. And the same goes for the florentines.

But they want something Christmassy now. So I made them some Christmas granola.





I make a big batch of granola every two or three weeks. I use this recipe  which I make in double quantities.

To Christmas it up a bit I switched the honey/sugar for golden syrup and black treacle. I added ginger, cinnamon and mixed spice. I used pecans adding an extra cup. When the granola was baked and cooled I added dried cranberries and broken gingernuts. My gingernuts were homemade (they're really easy to make) but you could use any crisp gingery biscuit.

Making granola is not a precise art, the recipe below is just a guideline, it's what I did today. Next time I may add different fruit or nuts, or some chocolate chunks. Maybe I'll try it with cardamom instead of ginger for a Scandinavian flavour. Experiment.






Christmas Granola

If you don't have cup measures use a mug.

Mix together the following ingredients
4 cups porridge oats
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup of seeds ( I used pumpkin and sunflower)
1½ cups pecans
1½ teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ mixed spice
pinch of salt

Heat together
½ cup sunflower oil or melted butter
¼ black treacle
¼ golden syrup

Pour syrup and oil mixture onto dry ingredients and mix well. Use your hands to get every dry bit covered.

Spread granola out in a roasting pan and bake for 1 hour at 160°c (140°c fan oven) stirring at 20 minute intervals. If you leave it to cool completely in the pan you will get nice big chunks of granola.

Once cool add
1½ cups dried cranberries
12-15  broken ginger biscuits (put them in a bag and bash them with a rolling pin).

Comments

  1. I'm not sure if this would help stave off my want for christmassy tastes, I think it might make it worse!! Looks great Sue. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness that looks and sounds heavenly. Thanks for sharing x Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be thinking of your incredibly delicious granola as I consume by disgustingly healthy muesli each morning (ugh).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious - I love pecan nuts in cereal and I'd imagine it's wonderful with cold milk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:29 pm GMT

    Hi Sue, that looks delicious. I love Jordans crunchy cereal. Is this the same as granola?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, I don't buy cereal so I'm not really familiar with the different kinds.

      Delete
    2. No way will this last until Christmas! Sounds miles nicer than Jordan's crunchy which is terribly sweet (and expensive) , although I might skip the ginger biscuits. I've stopped buying Jordan's as too easy to eat it straight from the packet, even though I don't terribly like it!

      Delete
  6. This sounds just yummy. I made a big batch of granola a week ago and have hidden some! I love to use coconut oil, flaked coconut and plain canned pumpkin, plus a bit of sweetener and lots of nuts,seeds and dried fruits as you did.
    Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am still scarred by a granola-making experience two years ago, when I made a batch of granola that was like something you could break your teeth on, and that no-one wanted to eat. A massive tin of it stood on the side of the kitchen counter for months before I eventually threw it away.

    However, I am so seduced by the notion of Christmas themed granola, containing ginger and cranberries (and you make your own gingernut biscuits - you are officially amazing) that I might have to try this. Thanks for the inspiration Sue. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were so right about the mince pies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, your Christmas granola recipe rather puts my normal breakfast oatmeal with golden raisons and brown sugar and milk to shame. Though my oatmeal is so easy to prepare and does stick to my ribs until the always unpredictable hour of my lunch break.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. The granola would go down very well in our house. I have already made the mistake of making four trays of mince pies that have ....yes...all been eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pati from London3:38 pm GMT

    mmmmm it looks yum.....I tend to go for muesli type of cereals rather than granola as I like them but find them too sweet... The idea of a xmassy granola, however sounds (and must smell) lovely!.
    I bought some mince pies in M&S the other day and have had to hide them so that they do not disappear before Christmas. Last year I bought them so late that most of the shops had nearly run out of them! In Spain we tend to eat different types of nougat and marzipan at this time of the year. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas, Sue, Pati x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This looks amazing! I do like the idea of adding cardamom...might have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks really more-ish. Which is why I probably won't make it, as I'd simply sit and munch my way through it :(. Eaten 4 mince pies this evening :(. Have a good Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks yummy! Thank you for the recipe. Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm still here, constantly, in case you thought I wasn't. Every day, I think of questions to which I know that you would know the answer. 'How much whisky to add to double cream/condensed milk ice cream? Would it work? Would it be a cruel waste of whisky? What do I do with this frozen persimmon puree, pureed and frozen because I had no idea what to do with the initial persimmons?'

    Christmas granola. You are legend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be legend but I have no idea what to do with persimmons and I'd just drink the whisky.

      Delete

Post a Comment