Crêpes et Chandelles (et le rugby)


Today is Candlemas. I've written about it here and here where you will find more information about this forgotten feast day. It is not quite so forgotten in France where it is called Chandeleur from the word chandelle which means candle. Chandeleur is celebrated in France with the eating of pancakes which seems like a bonne idée and a good opportunity to try out this French recipe for crêpes.



Crêpes à la règle de trois (Rule of three pancakes)

300g plain flour
3 eggs
 ¾  litre of milk (750 ml)
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil

Mix everything together well. I used a stick blender.
Cook in a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Brush with a little oil after every second crêpe.
You don't need much batter for each crêpe, swirl it around the pan to get a thin coating and wait for it to become loose before turning -about 1 min. Be prepared for the first one to be a disaster -it will still taste good.

Makes about 10 crêpes. You could make them rule of two pancakes if you want less.

I found this batter very easy to manage. I shall certainly be using it in ten days time when we Brits have our pancake feast.




Vocabulaire
In French there are three words for candle; le cierge, la chandelle, and la bougie. 

Un cierge is a church candle.

Une chandelle is a candle made of tallow rather than wax but also refers to the long tapering candles one would use for a candlelit dinner.

Une chandelle is also the French word for the rugby term 'an up-and-under' which seems appropriate as the Six Nations Championship kicks off today. I shall be watching both matches but will be paying particular attention to the England-Scotland game. After the fantastic birthday present England gave me I'm very hopeful.

Une bougie (pron. boo-zhee not boogie) If I understand correctly this word can refer to any wax candle but particularly thick candles. It also means a spark-plug.

French readers please feel free to correct me if I have got this wrong!
Scottish readers  -good luck this afternoon -you're going to need it.
Irish and Welsh readers good luck this afternoon too.


Les petites bougies dans un moule.



The Quince Tree - bringing you French lessons, pancake recipes, rugby, and anything that takes my fancy really.


Comments

  1. Thanks for the French lesson!!! Your 'crêpes' look delicious! Yes, over here we celebrate La Chandeleur... and today I was invited out to the best crêpes place in town with real cider!
    I shall also be celebrating Shrove Tuesday, our English Pancake Day and make my own!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, not had much luck with pancakes before and this has helpful hints too so will try on Shrove Tuesday thanks. I'm a Scot married to an Englishman so half heartedly watching the rugby with a sense of resignation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:40 pm GMT

    Merci bien! I'm now determined to make pancakes. Now! now! AnnaC

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last line ... that's why we love you :D

    Thanks for the batter recipe, crepes are a favourite here :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sentiments exactly,whatever takes your fancy amuses us.

      Delete
  5. Mmmmm. Definitely having pancakes for breaking tomorrow!
    P x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merci! (That's about as much French as I can manage, I'm afraid.) I have never made crepes. I always thought they were tres complicated and that you needed a special pan or something. Clearly not! I will have to try them. We are addicted to American style pancakes in this house lately - the kids like them spread with Nutella.

    Your blog is a real treat, Sue.

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm. I can't wait for pancake day. In fact, I can't wait for pancake day - it's pancakes tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's why I love this blog. I never know what I'm going to get, but it's always interesting. Thanks, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Granny Dot9:06 pm GMT

    We Scots needed more than luck Sue. A Glittery Heart is right about the sense of reignation. I haven't told my English hubby the results yet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always been tres rubbish at both crepes et pancakes anglaise. Nous mangeons les pancakes scotch tout le temps. Mais demain je will endeavour a make votre recipe. Et peut-etre try to cherche mes old books francais. Au revoir madame coing, Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J'aime ta franglais Mme Haricot Magique x

      Delete
  11. Is Pancake Day really only ten days away. Where is this year going already??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello!
    I think it was via Rachel's blog that I found you but I just wanted to tell you how much fun I have had reading through all your previous posts. You seem so charming and while I was reading, it was as though you were right here in my living room talking to me....I love that.
    I'm so happy to have found you ~

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. I've never been called charming before!

      Delete
  13. Always an educational!!! Followed your links and spent hours last night reading about traditions and feast days!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an educational post! Merci! And I actually have a batter mix waiting to be made into pancakes once my girls wake up :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That seems a very easy to remember recipe. Can anyone explain why the first pancake always turns out a bit of a disaster? Much as I try to make sure the pan is heated and seasoned properly, it never produces a good pancake first off. Thank goodness I have never been stuck for someone prepared to eat it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Sue, for the crepe recipe. I think I remember where my too-long-unused crepe pan is. Perhaps I'll mix up some batter on my next day off and get that pan seasoned up again for action.

    You've brought back memories of when I used to make crepes often, experimenting with all sorts of fillings. Delicious!

    Your candles look wonderful all aglow. Best wishes to you on the sports results. Our big national commercial event...the Super Bowl...will be played later on today. I can just about remember which two teams will be on the field. Football is not a huge interest of mine.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmm, I baked a cake this afternoon but will definitely be trying the crepes. Thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a go. I suddenly feel very hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  18. well I certainly enjoyed the result yesterday! And whilst on the subject of the French, I wonder if they needed more than crepes to drown their sorrows after today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You really are a font of useful knowledge and glorious photos.

    My Scottish husband has taken to watching most of the recent matches with an air of resignation. I make sure I buy him a couple of beers to numb the pain :-)

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, my knowledge is almost entirely gleaned from the internet.

      Delete
  20. We watched all three games - great fun! I'm Welsh so I was a little disappointed but it was a really good game. My husband is English and we live in France so we can always find a team to cheer on!

    Another "chandelles" fact - when Tintin (in the comic book) gets knocked out, in English he sees stars but in French he sees "36 chandelles".

    My daughter is in Mexico at the moment and there they celebrate Candlemas by getting new clothes for their baby Jesus dolls.

    I made pancakes using Jamie Oliver's recipe but I will try your recipe for Shrove Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your recipes always work for me so will make the pancakes on Shrove Tuesday. Love your Daily Bread and am using up my mincemeat (when I read you were make more just before Xmas I took that as carte blanche to follow) I am trying to learn the french words set out in your post...........so far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh pancakes, reminds me that Shrove Tuesday is coming up soon. You can keep the rugby though!!

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment