Stocktaking and a Spicy Stew


I really love food shopping. For me it is one of life's little pleasures. Ambling along the wide, spacious aisles of my local Waitrose, I love looking at the bounty that's on offer. There is so much one can buy these days. I suppose that is why I've reached a point when I don't actually need to buy any more food for a good while. I'll need milk, butter, eggs, cheese and fresh fruit and veg. I also like to have some bacon or other cured meat like chorizo or ham in the fridge always. I get through about 3kg of bread flour a week so that's a regular purchase. But, when it comes to protein, carbs and spices and seasonings, well, I'm stocked up.

I made an inventory of the contents of my freezer and cupboards today.

If you want to see my lists in more detail they should open in another window if you click on them.




From these lists I should be able to plan at least three week's meals. I made a start this evening by cooking one of our favourite storecupboard meals - Spicy Vegetable Stew with Chickpeas and Chorizo.

Here's what you need (quantities are loose).
A carton of passata, chickpeas, a carrot, squash or pumpkin, a red pepper, chopped onion (I use finely chopped onion, celery, carrot and leek which I make in quantity in the food processor and freeze -great time saver), smoked paprika, chorizo and stock-this is homemade chicken stock.

The vegetables can be whatever you like or have lying around. They should be firm, meaty-type veg rather than leafy ones. Other pulses can be swapped for the chickpeas and the chorizo is entirely optional.

Soften the onion and garlic or veg hash in a little olive oil, add the paprika.

Add the chopped veg.

Add the chickpeas, chorizo, stock and passata. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cover. Let it bubble away for about half an hour.

I served this with bulghar, but rice, couscous, potatoes or bread would be good. Add a bit more liquid and you have soup. That's what I'll do with the leftovers.


Comments

  1. That stew looks good! I might make something like that tomorrow as I haven't made anything spicy this week.

    I love how you've grouped the honey and syrups etc on your list- sticky stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever tried millet? I like it and by dry frying before cooking is very 'nutty'.

    I have a Martha Stewart cookbook with this recipe.

    Green Cabbage with Rice

    2 tablespoons veg oil
    1 1/2 cups rice - white or brown (I use brown and cook longer)
    3 cups boiling chicken stock
    2 bay leaves
    2 sprigs parsley

    1/2 lb cabbage
    3 tablespoons oil

    In a heavy pan saute the rice for 3-4 mins till clear
    pour hot stock over rice
    add herbs, cover and cook till done - keep warm

    I steam the cabbage and add it at this point

    The recipe says stir fry in the olive oil for about 4 minutes

    stir together and serve hot

    It is really good! In the book it is served with porch chops with soy-orange sauce, that is also good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That spicy stew sounds and look really yummy, something to add to my recipe collection =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment