In My Kitchen

Saturday, 5 March 2016

All these dishes were inspired by ones I found on pinterest and pinned on my food board. I followed none of the recipes properly using them only as starting points adapting them to ingredients I had and methods I prefer.

Chocolate bites

Inspired by these . As easy as they look, simply melt chocolate, pour into silicon ice cube trays, add stuff and refrigerate.

I used one 200g bar of dark chocolate and one 200g bar of white chocolate. I added almonds and dried apricots to the dark choc, and cashews and dried cranberries to the white. I didn't spray the trays with cooking spray and had no difficulty removing the solid cubes. For the white chocolate I tried putting the nuts and fruit in first and dribbling the melted chocolate over them (see pic below). This didn't work quite as well as the dark version where I poured the choc in first as the chocolate didn't adhere to all the nuts.

 Really this is just a variation on the ubiquitous chocolate bark recipes you might have seen on pinterest at Christmas time. The ice cube trays certainly aren't mandatory but the dinky little cubes will make good lunch box fodder -if there are any left by Monday morning.



Rhubarb and leeks. Don't worry, they were not destined for the same dish. I was struck by how pretty their colours looked together. The rhubarb was simply stewed with a bit of orange juice and some ginger to eat with yogurt, or maybe turned into some sort of pud this weekend.


These are turkey meatballs inspired by these. I mixed a 500g pack of turkey mince with a handful each of breadcrumbs and parmesan, chopped onion, some herbs -basil and parsley, and some seasoning. I browned them  before adding a simple tomato sauce made from onions and passata and some spinach. I baked them in a covered dish for about half an hour before adding a sprinkling of grated mozzarella and baking for another 10 minutes.

Baked turkey meatballs

Those leeks went on a pizza of sorts inspired by this. I had a cooked chicken leg to use up as well as the leeks so I put them on a pizza with some ham. Instead of the usual tomato sauce I made a very thick white sauce flavoured with parmesan and spread that on the rolled out dough before topping with the cooked leeks, the chicken, the ham, and finally some grated mozzarella. I like grated mozzarella for pizzas because it doesn't make your pizza wet, also it's often cheaper than the fresh balls of mozzarella and it freezes well.

Chicken, ham and leek pizza
Not at all authentic, but proper lush.



21 comments:

  1. You have given me a wonderful idea to make the chocolate bites in my silicone gingerbread mould as a special treat for the grandchildren.
    Definitely going the make the pizza, yours sounds wonderful, never thought of making a cheese sauce instead of a tomato sauce
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your idea of using a cheese sauce instead of tom on the pizza base. Inspired. The chocolate bites, with their fruit and nuts (almonds are superfood after all), must be good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like your recipes and they look delicious. I like the idea of baking the meatballs. Going to give your pizza a try too, though I prefer red sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried making something like those lovely chocolate bites once but I hadn't tempered the chocolate and they turned cloudy before they reached the lunch boxes. I was upset and went into a decline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving all of this, but most especially that pizza. We sometimes spread pesto over the dough instead of tomato sauce - not authentic but very nice with chicken toppings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're very inventive! I'm definitely going to try the chocolate and pizza recipes - thanks for sharing.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful. Especially like the ice cube bites, brilliant.
    I also use pesto sometimes, usually the tomato one, to spread over pizza bases, but imagine that cheese sauce would be very good.
    I could live on rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some lovely ideas there. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw those chocolate bites when you pinned them. I would have made them immediately, if I'd had those silicon trays. And I love the idea of the cheese sauce for the pizza. Our local take-and-bake has a white, garlic sauce they use with chicken pizzas that's my absolute favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always good to hear from you. I got misty eyed at the sight of rhubarb, but all of it looks wonderful and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post! Thanks for inspiring me to go check out my Pinterest pages, and also not be too intimidated by recipes, they really are just a starting point 😉

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great ideas. I find your blog posts inspiring and am always thrilled to see a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always lovely to get a new post from you. A favorite lunch time dish for us is a Flammekeuche - a very thin pizza base spread with creme fraiche, chopped spring onions and chopped bacon or ham - and a salad. It tastes cheesy without using any cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It all looks very yummy but really wanted a bit of the leek pizza at the end! Agree, love those two colours together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some brilliant ideas there. Why have I never thought of something as simple as melting chocolate into my ice cube trays and topping with fruit and nuts - genius!! And so much better than a slab of bark, which usually entices you to eat the lot as it snaps so haphazardly.

    And that pizza looks delicious, why do we sometimes have an image in our heads of pizza just being a tomato sauce topped bread with toppings, there must be so many variations of sauces we could top a dough (or any other) base with to get a delicious easy meal or snack.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are flipping brilliant, Sue......everything looks so tasty and good....off to make the chockys.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All absolutely delicious looking as always!

    ReplyDelete
  18. If anyone could concoct something delicious from rhubarb and leeks it would be you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to see a new post from you. The leek, chicken and ham pizza is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your comment that the rhubarb and leeks weren't for the same dish made me smile. In Sri Lanka they have a rhubarb curry, made with leeks, rhubarb and of course spices. Hot and sour I understand ( I've yet to try it or find a recipe, but I'm working on it :-)). And thank you, tonight, inspired by your pizza, I'm making a leek and cheese one.

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger