Making Winter

Wednesday, 4 November 2015

Emma at Silverpebble has rekindled her Making Winter bloghop/hashtag affair. It's a brilliant way to combat the winter blues if you suffer from them or, if like me you positively revel in fallen leaves, dark evenings and gloom it's a great way to enhance the winter experience. 

My first contribution to Making Winter is this shawl. It came off the needles a few weeks ago and I finally got round to sewing in the ends and half-heartedly blocking it yesterday. It's not quite the 'quantum physics-like lace shawl' Emma may have been thinking of but it's perfect for wrapping around my shoulders first thing in the morning whilst waiting for the radiators to fire up.

The pattern is called Boneyard Shawl by Stephen West and was really, really easy. The details are here. The colour has not photographed well, it is a much warmer green than it appears here. I'd love to make it again in a multicoloured yarn.



My second contribution is a cake. Of course. I love to make gingerbread around Bonfire Night. Sticky and warm with spices it's perfect with a cup of tea on a late autumn afternoon. I made this one today but I'm not going to cut it until tomorrow when it will have developed its flavour a bit and become stickier.

The recipe can be found here . It's basically a halved version of this one made in a loaf tin. I thought it would be prudent to make a smaller cake seeing as I will probably eat most of it.




For more winter comforts hop over to the Making Winter blog hop here. See also this post.

22 comments:

  1. Love the shawl and its colour.
    I knitted a similar one in a smoke heather colour (cascade), not as delicate as yours, or as big - easy comfort knitting and so handy - we have a cold house.
    I love the darker evenings with a bit of gloom too, perfect for bonfires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just come across your blog via IG and because of quinces. What a lovely blog! ...and some very good ideas for my current quince obsession. You are very lucky to have a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shawl too. I like the lacy ones, but I prefer wearing simpler things.
    I've pinned it, and the ginger cake recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:38 pm GMT

    I am with you Sue, re enjoying winter. I like the cosiness of the evenings especially. Shawl looks great and will be really useful, too.

    Best wishes
    Frances SW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shawl! It's exactly the kind I like. I'm not a big fan of the lacy ones.

    Have a fun Bonfire Night tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A timely make ginger cake reminder. Especially as we are all ill. Your recipe looks good but nagging away at me is another faintly remembered recipe which I must find. I think it was more of a tray bake and may have had a thin lemon icing. That shawl must have taken ages. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found it. Domestic Goddess Fresh Gingerbread with lemon icing. I culled the book but photocopied the recipe.

      Delete
    2. I'm tempted to add some lemon icing to my cake now.

      Delete
  7. I was only thinking about making a Winter this past week and wondering (hoping) if it would be back. Beautiful shawl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the shawl, and I love winter too. Especially when wrapped up in or knitting a shawl. I've put it in my Ravelry file, I hadn't been on Ravelry for ages, you have reminded me about it. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Favouriting that shawl pattern - I do love a simple easy shawl, and that one's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh that shawl looks excellent for swaddling yourself, indoors or out. I think I might add another skein's worth to may South Bay now it's got a little chiller. As for that ginger cake I could woof a slab right now. Thanks so much for joining in Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your ginger cake looks completely delicious, Sue. I'll have to give it a go. Your lovely shawl looks far from easy (but I am a novice knitter). For starters, how do you keep it all on the needles?! Are they very long? I hopped over to Emma's blog to have a look at the roots of Making Winter. Nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Circular needles Sam. Fabulous things. Since I started knitting a couple of years ago I haven't knitted one thing on two needles.

      Delete
  12. Love the shawl. I am with you on circular needles too. I do use straights from time to time but always come back with relief to circular needles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your shawl Sue, and I know about greens not showing up well, I never know whether it's my camera or the laptop greying down the lovely soft green I use so much.
    I do love Autumn, but the garden is hidden under about 3 foot of leaves and we just can't get rid of them… they hang around for months and months!
    Your cake looks delicious, but alas, not for me at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The shawl is great - I expect it's warm. Can't believe that wool made such a large one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's not even all of it. I think there's enough left for some mitts or a hat. Thank you again x

      Delete
  15. Your shawl is lovely and just what is needed first thing in the morning, and also late at night when that late film is just too good to miss the end of and cuddling up on the sofa with the fire gradually dying down means a bit of extra layering is sometimes needed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have me thinking of Parkin now, thank you Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Sue,
    I love ginger cake with lemon icing, as mentioned above. It goes very well together, and with a cup of tea. Your shawl is lovely.
    Leanne x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh your shawl must have taken ages, it looks brilliant. I was going to ask how you made it but then I read about circular needles. I learn something new every day. Definitely wearing that would banish the winter blues. B X

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger