The Missing Months

Thank you Lucille, why didn't I think of recap samplers?

The following six samplers are made using my instagram photos because I stopped using my big camera while I was away. I only post photos I have taken with my phone on instagram - I think using a dslr is missing the point of instagram. So, apologies if you have already seen these images. By the way it is really easy to upload your instagram pictures onto your computer, I used Instaport.

March

April

May

June

July

August





To make my samplers/collages/mosaics -whatever you like to call them, I use PicMonkey which is a free photo-editing site which you can use straight away without having to create an account. I also use PicMonkey to edit my photos before posting them on the blog. By edit I mean I click auto adjust, crop if necessary, resize and occasionally lighten a bit.

How to make a photo collage using PicMonkey

1) Select the collage option at the top of the page which takes you to your photo files and from there  select the photos (click on the photo then click 'open') you want to use in your collage. 

2) When you have enough photos go to the little layout icon on the far left of the page, it's underneath the images icon (the one that looks like mountains). Select the 'square deal' option and click on the one you want, I use the 3x3 one. This layout will appear on the middle of your screen. 

3) Click on the images icon again to get back to your photo selection and then simply drag your pictures to the squares you want them to go in. Sometimes extra squares will appear but you can easily dismiss these by hitting the cross in their top right hand corners. You can move the pictures around as much as you want. 

4) When you are happy with your creation click save at the top of the page and follow the instructions to save it to your computer.

I hope that makes sense and is of use to someone. There are other photo editing sites worth having a look at. Big Huge Labs is one which I have used in the past but PicMonkey is my favourite..


Another fun thing you can do with your instagram pictures is to get them printed. Photobox is really easy to use, you don't even have to upload your pictures to your computer, just hit the instagram icon and there they all are. These 5''x 5'' prints cost 20p each. No idea what I shall do with them yet but I'm very pleased with them.




Comments

  1. Lovely photos, as always. I use Picasa 3 for my photos, I think it must be similar. I can choose whether to have scattered images, or images of equal size, etc. These collages are great fun to make (but waste a lot of time if you let them!)
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information on making a photo collage, I'll try it the next time I download pictures from my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like your photos. The photos I had printed from Polargram were good which works in the same way but I might try Photobox next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see a Miss Read book in April. I wouldn't have thought that was your type of book. What did you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved it Kari, perfect comfort reading. I'd assumed Miss Read to be sugary and sentimental but not so. I found her funny and no nonsense.

      Delete
    2. Mmmmm. I love comfort reading.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for showing the missing months. I noticed the Miss Read book as well. I do like the stories and have read one or two a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your photos, and I'm glad you're willing to share them with us. Thanks for the how to. Maybe someday I'll do something with my photos. I went to a scrapbooking convention once and, while I'm not really drawn to scrapbooking as a way to preserve memories, there was one woman whose unique style really appealed to me. http://www.mosaicmoments.com/ (wait a bit and watch the different layouts scroll) Your grid presentation reminds me of her layout style a bit. You could make scrapbooks for your children of your everyday life. Sure, they probably wouldn't appreciate it now, but I'll bet when they're your age they'll appreciate the reminder of life at home in the old days. (In addition to all the smiley family photos.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good idea and thanks for the link :)

      Delete
  7. The samplers are great and as I scrolled down I thought,,,that's it, March is my favourite, or perhaps it's April, but then again what about May...and so on. Gloriously colourful photographs all of them. And thank you so much for the tutorial - I will definitely give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy seeing your photos on instagram and it's lovely to see them here in sampler form. They look great all together. What a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures. Your food always looks so good too. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm pleased to spot a duvet cover I also have (March) - I think of it as my happy one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that duvet cover. It set my rose loving heart all aflutter.

    Also - was really sad with the rugby result today. No good for anyone that you are out so early, it was a terrible pool and hopefully they will change the rules so that doesn't happen again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sympathy. It was a bloody awful pool, I've been banging on about the unfairness of it all for weeks, especially when you consider pool C! Moving on, I am in fact a quarter Welsh, so come on Cymru!

      Delete
  12. Sue, I really appreciate your PicMonkey info, and will definitely give it a go. I've got some free time coming up next week, and will do some experimenting.

    I loved seeing your monthly samplers...every square was the beginning of a story!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely! I do my mosaics at the end of the year. It's a big job doing them all at once, but I like the review of the past year it involves - lots of happy memories are recalled.

    I do "cheat" and upload photos from my big camera to instagram, particularly any I have taken from bike rides and trips. I just don't have time to take pictures with both but do enjoy being able to share via instagram (there's no response on flickr, sadly). Home and garden ones are usually direct from my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's better! Now we can move on happily with loose ends tidied up. I used Blurb recently to make a little square book of grand daughter' s first year and was thrilled with the result. I often think I should spend some time making hard copy albums in case i photo goes up in smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love PicMonkey. I use it for collages and resizing, and it's the easiest way to crop photos into a circular shape too.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for this! It will be very useful for me as I still haven't got to grips with PicMonkey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment