Cake of the Month ~ Marmalade Cake

Saturday, 24 January 2015


This blog is five years old today. I almost forgot to mark the occasion, not that it really counts as an occasion, I can't think of other bloggers who celebrate their blogs' birthdays. It's a bit daft really, I probably should have really forgotten to mark the occasion but I haven't posted for over a week and I haven't made a cake for even longer so, two birds with one stone.



Five years ago today I had been making marmalade, a year ago today I made marmalade, today I made a marmalade cake. It's from Nigel Slater's first volume of Kitchen Diaries. It's just a 3 egg sponge mixture with a big dollop of marmalade added, baked in a loaf tin and iced with orange glacé icing. Nigel uses 175g each of self-raising flour, butter and sugar, 3 eggs plus 75g of marmalade. I used 6 oz each of flour, sugar and butter which is slightly less than 175g. I like imperial measurements for baking, they just feel right to me, plus on my scales it is really hard to see 5g increments.

Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin. I greased the sides and put a long strip of reusable liner along the base and up the sort sides.

Cream together until light and fluffy
6 oz (175g) soft butter
6 oz (175g) caster sugar

Add one at a time, beating well with each addition
3 large eggs

Beat in
2½ oz (75g) marmalade
zest of 1 large orange

Fold in 
6 oz (175g) self-raising flour

Pour into the prepared tin and bake at 180°c (160°c fan oven) for 45-55 minutes but start checking after 35mins with a skewer. It's done when the skewer comes out of the cake clean. Nigel Slater says 35-40 mins but I found that no where near long enough. Mine took 55mins but that might be my oven, so do keep an eye on it.

Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. When completely cool ice with a thin glacĂ© icing made by mixing 100g icing sugar with 1- 2 tablespoons of orange juice. I used blood orange juice and yes, I know I've gone metric for the icing but 100g is easier to see on my scale than 3½ oz. Exact quantities are not critical, it just depends how runny you want your icing. I used 1½ tablespoons of juice which made a very runny icing. You could ditch the icing and poke holes in the cake and drizzle with a mixture of orange juice and sugar like a lemon drizzle cake. Chocolate ganache would be another rather gorgeous alternative.











43 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Blog, and may there be many more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I've saved this post for when I get home and make my marmalade. Love Nigel Slater recipes too.
    Happy Blogaversary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paddington Bear and I salute your cake, and 5 years of your very lovely and somehow reassuring blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary, Sue. And I've seen lots of other bloggers commemorate their blog anniversaries, so you're in good company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many happy returns to you and your yummy blog, a perfect recipe to share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cale looks lovely. Where do you buy your blood oranges? I find them almost impossible to come by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them from Waitrose Nicky. They were labelled 'blush' oranges -no idea why. They're not around for long so keep your eyes peeled.

      Delete
    2. Thanks,Sue. I have seen them in the past called Ruby Oranges. I think they must think that the "blood" label is offputting.

      Delete
    3. And yet they have bottles of 'blood orange juice' which is surely more off-putting if you are the sort of person who is put-off by such things. Weird.

      Delete
  7. Happy blog birthday! Must try a marmalade cake. My grandma used to make marmalade buns when I was little and they were my favourite - especially with a glass of full fat sterilised milk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why the heck not? Celebrate away. If any blog deserves a cake, yours does.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to one of my favourite blogs! That cake looks blimmin lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many happies to you Quince Treeblog.
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Blogaversary Sue!! I celebrated my blogs first birthday last year and will be doing so again this year. I know quite a few people who celebrate their blogaversaries, so you are in good company and this cake is a great way to celebrate! Here's to many more happy years blogging! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy blog birthday! Lots of bloggers note their anniversary. I don't think it's daft at all. I just read a lovely post on the topic over at the Yarn Harlot. http://www.yarnharlot.ca I've shared the link because I think you might enjoy that blog. The cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary! I'm all for celebrating everything with cakes..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy blog birthday, Sue! And marmalade cake is one of my favourites (especially when a batch of marmalade has turned out a bit runny). This year I only did a half batch and wouldn't you know - it was my finest yet and now there are only 3 jars. Sad.
    And you found blood oranges! They haven't turned up in my trolley yet this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy blogaversary Sue, five years of blogging is very impressive, well done you. Marmalade cake sounds delicious, I'm always tempted to buy marmalade, so now I know what to do with an excess. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Blog-birthday! The cake looks wonderful. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy blog birthday. The cake sounds good. I really enjoy spending time at the a Quince Tree so keep up the good work.x

    ReplyDelete
  18. happy excellent excuse for a cake day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very nearly titled the post 'Excuse for a Cake'.

      Delete
  19. Happy 5th blog-birthday. I think it's good to celebrate, particularly 5years, it's a long time in Blogland X

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made the same cake this week, used a blood orange for the icing and mine took about 55-60 minutes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one Gina. This isn't the first time one of Nigel's cake recipes has taken much longer to cook than the recipe states.

      Delete
  21. Happy Blogday - I can't quite believe it's been five years! The Quince Tree is one of my favourite blogs and most definitely deserves to have its very own birthday cake! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy blog birthday, Thought it was just me that worked in pounds and ounces! My recipe books are ancient! Think I might make this cake with Ginger Preserve..............
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy bloggy birthday! And the cake looks yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. A very happy blog birthday......and many more.
    Can't believe it's been five years!
    Fabulous x

    ReplyDelete
  25. A very happy blog birthday......and many more.
    Can't believe it's been five years!
    Fabulous x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for repeating myself, but then I didn't really mind saying it again......

      Delete
  26. Sue, you've found a fine way to celebrate this fifth birthday. May The Quince Tree continue for many years. What pleasure you give us ... along with lots of useful information.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Anniversary ! The cake sounds perfect for January .

    Blood oranges can only be found here in Turkish shops .... must have a hunt tomorrow , I love them .

    ReplyDelete
  28. As has been stated, lots of bloggers mark their anniversaries, so happy anniversary.

    Is it really five years? I thought I discovered you before I retired and that is more than five years ago.

    I must get to Waitrose, I adore blood oranges.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous7:33 pm GMT

    Happy anniversary! Thanks so much for reminding me of marmalade cake and all the fab and useful recipes.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy (belated) blog birthday! Looks like a delicious way to celebrate! xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Blognniversary!!! It's always such a pleasure to pop round.... Whenever I bake my lemon drizzle cake it takes around 65 mins in the oven despite the fact that the recipe says 50mins maximum......I had never thought of doing the orange version of it...... It is funny how sometimes we don't think of the most obvious things..... Pati xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Blog-Birthday!! I baked this exact cake this week too, good old Nigel!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sorry to be so late in congratulating you on your blog's fifth anniversary. I was also pretty late in discovering your blog, but am already a huge fan and hope that you will continue with The Quince Tree for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy blog birthday. That cake looks delicious - I love orange flavoured everything and especially love marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Made 'your' marmalade cake, it was excellent only I would add a little more marmalade next time even though I use a quite strong one (Wilkin & Son's Tiptree, Tawny marmalade.) But an easy and excellent recipe.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Margaret. Don't be tempted to add too much extra marmalade or the cake will not rise very well. Maybe you could boost the marmalade flavour by adding some to the icing?

      Delete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger