These I Have Liked



 Sitting with the silence turning the heel on a sock.

George's Christmas list. He would like a bicycle pannier and a large map of Middle Earth. I ask him if he is planning a bike trip to The Lonely Mountain to find Smaug's treasure and if so would he like me to make him some lembas bread?

Tom's beard-in-progress (BIP?). His hair is already down to his shoulders. I think he may end up looking something like this. I secretly hope that he will.

A leek and bacon tart the custard part of which was made from two eggs plus the leftover cheesy-creamy-cidery sauce which I served with chicken joints on Sunday. It was extra delicious because good use had been made of leftovers.

Working out the cost of baking. This slightly weird, nerdy behaviour is actually quite empowering. Knowing flour, for example, costs 2p an ounce, butter 12p, granulated sugar 2p, demerara sugar 7p and an egg 20p makes you realise just how much money you can save by baking from scratch. I made a batch of twelve rolls yesterday and worked out that they cost 7p each. A loaf of bread costs me 40p in ingredients and 5p in electricity (I bake 4 loaves at a time).

Katie and Tom have been perfecting their cinnamon toast making skills. Katie has long since been an expert cocoa maker and mastery of cinnamon toast will set her up nicely for winter.

I very much liked Detectorists on BBC4 and was sorry when it finished last week. It has been the only thing worth watching on telly lately.

My copy of Jane Kenyon's collected poems finally arrived from Philadelphia after a long wait. I am indebted to Megan for introducing me to her, blog friends share wonderful things.

Yesterday was the last garden waste collection day of the year, so of course today is the day I decide to fill my garden waste bin with spent michaelmas daisies, goldenrod and an accidental rose. There they will stay for the next five months quietly composting until the collections start up again. Meanwhile I have four sodden November roses on my windowsill and they are pleasing me greatly.




Comments

  1. I like to know the cost of baking too; it appeals to the analyst in me. But then I get to wondering how I should price my time spent baking and the feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment and consequent lower counselling fees and I begin to feel befuddled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, love the Smaugs treasure hunt.........can I come? pretty please x

    I will look out for Detectorists on Iplayer when I next go on. I rarely find anything worth watching now either x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you hadn't mentioned cinnamon toast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would love cinnamon toast.... I have to agree with you, there's not very much worth watching on TV at the moment..... But I am enjoying watching Kevin Spacey in "House of cards" via Lovefilm.... He's brilliant! Pati x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adored The Detectorists! I loved the fact that Lance could only sing and play sitting cross legged. Genius.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh fantastic - a Lembas bread recipe link! I'm definitely going to try that one out.

    I have to admit I'm enjoying the Great Interior Design Challenge - although if I hear the phrase shabby chic one more time I may scream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cost my baking too....cook pretty everything from scratch, costs less, tastes better!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How rubbish that they stop collecting your green waste. I fill mine up with guinea pig bedding and all sorts over the winter, I couldn't cope without collections. Wishing George good luck with his quest. He will no doubt make you proud. He may want to rethink the bicycle as a mode of transport in middle earth though. A small pony will be far more suitable. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have since discovered that collections are now continuing until December. Hoorah! Will pass on the pony suggestion.

      Delete
  9. I watched all the episodes of Detectorists on iplayer, in one helping, after a friend told me I'd like it - and I just loved it - I think the essence of comedy is to play it absolutely straight, as they did in this series...How satisfying when Lance finally saw through his horrible ex and walked away... the good news is, another series is planned. I can't wait....

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband and I (makes me sound like The Queen!) really enjoyed Detectorists too - excellent ensemble acting, understated and intelligent writing and a wonderful character-driven story.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, just as the others say, Detectorists was wonderful, although my teenage daughters didn't seem to get it - possibly a sign of quality or too much association with Pirates of the Caribbean...

    Keep the weird and nerdy behaviour coming please - I get a strange pleasure from it, something akin to 'it isn't just me then...' with a knowing nod.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both my sons went through the long hair and beards phase - actually one still is in it. I'd love to take a bike trip to The Lonely Mountain to find Smaug's treasure and lembas bread would be very useful to take along. Can't wait for the next film to come out shortly. I sometimes do the calculations for baking or what we've had for dinner. We grow a lot of our own fruit and vegetables and keep bees and hens. Quite often a really good dinner costs less than £1 each.

    ReplyDelete
  13. George might enjoy Karen Wynn Fonstad's 'Atlas of Middle Earth'. Not a map per se, but a wonderful journey through Middle Earth. And speaking of journeys, you might include in your gift a link to The Eowyn Challenge, which allows you to follow along Bilbo's and Frodo's adventures as you walk, run, or bike. The Eowyn Challenge can be found at http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Walk/walk.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that link Barb George may well be up for that sort of challenge. I've seen that atlas and I also have a similar book called The Journeys of Frodo by Barbara Strachey which was published in the 80s long before Peter Jackson made his films.

      Delete
  14. I once accidentally set fire to some cinnamon toast I was making for my husband....he gleefully reminds me from time to time of the day he had to blow out his breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Series two of The Fall starts tonight.. did you get hooked first time round? I loved it although spook factor is high so I need to watch on catch up in broad daylight.
    Am going to investigate cinnamon toast as my cinnamon aversion is slowly but definitely waning as my waistline expands.
    And can we have regular BIP updates please. Or just more links to Dave Grohl... Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't take to The Fall despite Gillian Anderson. If you want more Dave then there's a series on BBC4 at the moment called Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways and they're touring the UK next year (husband is a fan).

      Delete
  16. Now I really fancy some cinnamon toast. Roll on Saturday breakfast! There is no time today as I need to get J ready for school dressed as an English Civil War musketeer

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another huge Dectectorists fan here. Perfect telly.

    You'll know you're in trouble when George starts asking for second breakfasts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those costings are great to know! Thanks for taking the time to do that - I always assume home baking works out as much cheaper but it's good to know for certain.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That. Poem. Have bought the book! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely isn't it? Glad to spread the poetry love.

      Delete
  20. Thank you - I have now learned how to make cinnamon toast, so The Gardener can stop harping on about it......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment