Cake of the Month ~ Date and Walnut Loaf

Just in the nick of time here is November's cake.


I had a yearning for an old-fashioned tea bread, something moist, that could be sliced and spread with butter, something plenty of fruit in it and perhaps a bit of crunch too. Tea breads seem right for late autumn with their brown crusts and their spicy fruit hinting at Christmas mince pies to come.


While stocking up on ingredients for the florentines I make at Christmas I noticed bags of mixed dates and walnuts and decided a date and walnut loaf  would be just the kind of cake I was looking for.


I was sure I must have a recipe in one of my many cookbooks, but no, nothing quite fit the bill. A google took me straight to the Whitworths recipe page. Their recipe for date and walnut loaf made use of the very bag of mixed dates and walnuts I had just purchased. Problem solved.

Here is the recipe. The only change I made was to use orange juice from a carton because I had no oranges. I used 70 ml which is roughly the amount of juice in one orange. Of course you don't have to use a bag of Whitworth's dates and walnuts. I won't next time because there aren't enough walnuts for my liking. The cake is also very crumbly which wasn't quite what I was looking for, but that said it still tasted delicious.

2012's November cake also included walnuts and is here.


Something else I almost forgot to do this month was to show you my socks which I finished a while ago. Love them.



Today is Advent Sunday and I have dusted off our now decidedly tatty handmade advent calendar. I was all for retiring it this year but Katie has vetoed that idea. We also have our simple white candle which we light each Sunday in advent and then each day from Christmas Day until it's gone. 


And lastly here is November's sampler and a reminder that all 58 (!) of my monthly samplers can be found on the black bar under my blog title at the top of the page.


Comments

  1. Yum. My mother used to make this when we were kids. Spread with cream cheese. This has inspired me to have a go. It's a delicious memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent socks and I like the sound of the buttered tea loaf as well. I was thinking the other day about that fantastic box of mixed biscuits you made a year or two ago, it definitely included Florentines, I remember because they're my favourites. The others looked pretty good as well though, I vividly remember thinking that it would be a really lovely gift. Although if I made them I might just eat them all myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am deep in sock envy. I know I know. I could get my finger out and get on with the pattern (got) and sock needles (got) and wool (got) but somehow I feel I need someone sitting looking over my shoulder while I begin. so THAT'S not going to happen , is it? Never mind. And yes, now is the time for squidgey tea-breads, you have given me an idea for tomorrow's ironing displacement therapy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should devise a directory of ironing displacement therapies.

      Delete
  4. Love tea breads, sort of homely and comforting, baking and eating. I often use Nigella's tea bread recipe (she says it's perfect funeral food) better with nuts though.
    Do enjoy your Cake of the Month.
    What jolly socks, great colour mix. I've found sock knitting addictive. But right now, I've been starting off in exactly the same way for socks but instead making a long cuff , for my wrists with no thumbs, experimenting with stitches and yarn - perfect tv knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm! Tea bread just right for a cold evening at the end of November. Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those socks look great. And a tea loaf, yes please. The only thing better than cake is cake spread with butter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The socks are divine, and I do hope you will be posting the florentine recipe. I go through thousands of Fudge's wonderful florentines and maybe my sense of guilt would be lessened by eating homemade ones instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florentine recipe is here :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Sue, they look v tempting and I'll give them a go!

      Delete
  8. Oh yum. That recipe will be going on my Christmas baking list. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had banana muffins which needed eating up as they were rather dry. Sliced, toasted and smothered in butter it was the best breakfast I'd had in ages. But now I wish I had date and walnut loaf- it looks scrumptious.
    And will December's cake of the month be a birthday one? Many many happies to you for tomorrow, hope you have a fabulous day. Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a very good memory for dates Mrs Bean.

      Delete
    2. Some dates. The important ones, not stuff like when The Battle of Trafalgar was or when Victoria died...
      Hope you had much fun x

      Delete
  10. I absolutely love the socks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too have sock envy. I have yet to pluck up the courage to be attacked by dpns and wish I had learned whilst my grandmother was still here to teach me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YouTube can replace grandmothers for some things, not the most important things though.

      Delete
  12. Definitely making the date and walnut cake - my favourite!. Love the socks.
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cake sounds delicious and the socks look gorgeous.
    Did you have a good birthday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes thankyou, a lovely day x

      Delete
  14. Oh gawd...that does look good! You've got to love a stripy sock.

    ps. I was talking about the cake first, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. would it be ok if omitted the dates?... don't have any dates and I am NOT going out again today. today is writing Christmas cards day and ironing day rolled into one. That is if I can be bother getting out of this chair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may omit the dates Monica you must call it something else......walnut cake perhaps? :D Or you could substitute any other dried fruit for the dates. Or indeed any other nut for the walnuts.

      Delete
  16. Happy belated birthday wishes Sue. Your date and walnut loaf looks very appetising, I love cakes that you can spread with butter. X

    ReplyDelete
  17. date and walnut loaf is one of my all-time favourites - I'll have to try this recipe myself. I love the socks too. I've never tried making socks - the idea of using more than one needle sounds a bit scary :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Am I allowed to post twice? An update - I did indeed make tea bread on Monday, soaked the fruit - dates and raisins - in cold tea from an ordinary tea bag and a fruity tea bag - gorgeous result, I can recommend it. So no need for orange juice and I omitted the nuts because I had no walnuts and didn't fancy putting almonds in it. (Would probably have worked just as well) And it was delicious. Really. We have finished it together, last night. Mmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  19. There's a need for just that sort of cake this weekend. I need something to keep me busy. Cake baking is the answer for quite a lot of worries that are out of your control.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The bread looks awesome. Thank you for the recipe! Oh those socks really looks warm and they are pretty. Thank you and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That loaf looks delicious, but yes, lots of walnuts is an essential in my book too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment