Cake of the Month ~ Blackberry Crumble Muffins


It's been a great year for blackberries round these parts, and judging by my instagram feed a great year for blackberries all over the UK. Blackberries it is then. Blackberry crumble muffins, which are not strictly speaking a cake of the month but rather cakes of the month.

This recipe is based on a blueberry muffin recipe in How To Be A Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson. I replaced the blueberries with blackberries, added some cinnamon and a crunchy crumble topping.



First make the crumble topping.

Rub together 50g butter and 50g flour. I used Neill's wheaten flour which has a lovely nubbly texture but you can use wholemeal or plain white flour.
Add about 20g of porridge oats and 40g of demerara sugar (or whatever sugar you have to hand) and mix. You could also add some chopped nuts at this point. Set aside.

Put 12 muffin cases in a muffin tin.

Next melt 75g butter and set aside to cool slightly

Mix in a bowl
200g plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
75g sugar -granulated or caster
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of cinnamon

In a measuring jug measure
100 ml milk
100 g yogurt - just add yogurt to the milk until it measures 200 ml*
add
the melted butter
1 egg
Beat with a fork so the the ingredients are well combined.

Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix so that there is no dry mixture but be careful not to overdo it.

Fold in most of 200g of blackberries (fresh or frozen) keeping about 30 to put on the tops of the muffins.

Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases to fill them about half way.
Put 2 or 3 reserved berries on the tops of each muffin, then sprinkle each one with about 2 teaspoons of the crumble mixture .

Bake at 200°c (180°c fan oven) for 20-25mins.

*you could use 200 ml of buttermilk instead of the yogurt-milk mixture





Comments

  1. Oh, they look superb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scrumptious. And it just so happens I've picked a load of blackberries today. As you say, it seems to be a fantastic year for them. I got mine from next to the nuclear power station so they'll be extra lively. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they glow in the dark?! Alison x

      Delete
  3. Love blueberries, love muffins. Just the thing for me then xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. there are blackberries in my fridge right now. is it too late to start baking I wonder........

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love blackberries and your cakes look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lovely recipe, tomorrow I think I will be a blackberry picking. Today, I am going to make your lovely apple and clove cake with my scrumped apples. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sue, do you remember I asked you about the damson vodka? Well, I opened, strained and tasted it and it is beautiful, strong but very tasty!
    Best,
    Shauna.x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment