In My Kitchen

Sunday, 31 August 2014

In my kitchen this week were greengages.


And a dish of eggs poached in the remains of a pork, chorizo and chickpea stew. I think this is one of the best ways to use up the saucy leftovers from a stew. Grated cheese is a good addition thrown over the eggs and allowed to melt.


There was also baked breaded chicken. Easily made by bashing chicken breasts until thin between pieces of cling-film before flouring, egging and breadcrumbing. I use a rolling pin for the bashing. You can leave the chicken whole as big schnitzel-like pieces or cut them smaller as I did here. My breadcrumb mixture has some parmesan and herbs added to it and the bread I used was leftover crusts which I had in the freezer. I poured a thin layer of oil on a baking tray before arranging the breaded chicken on it. Then I turned the pieces over so that each side was nicely oiled. I baked them in a hot oven for about 25 minutes. You can of course fry them instead which is what I would have done if I had only been cooking for two.



There was a leek, sage and cheddar tart.


And a carrot and coconut cake which was very good. It's a variation on the Spiced Carrot Traybake from Mary Berry's Ultimate Cake book. I left out the walnuts and added 6oz coconut.


A fish pie made an appearance on Thursday made with smoked haddock and cod. Tasty but bit heavy on the mash.


Saturday lunch was these baguettes smothered with caramelised onions, mushroom and cheese.



And last night I tried a new pudding recipe from The Pudding Club Book sultana and butterscotch pudding. It's one of those puddings where you pour lots of liquid over the top before baking and it makes its own delicious sauce underneath. It was lovely but we did feel very full afterwards.

~


August you were lovely but September you are full of promise. Katie and Tom renew their studies (I use that word loosely) and by the end of the month George will finally be off to university and I will have to get used to cooking for four instead of five.


27 comments:

  1. I know that feeling, I had to go from cooking for five to three! Lots of leftovers (which we don't mind) for a while Now its just us two, still lots of leftovers!
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog posts brighten my day, the clarity of the pictures, the sheer opulence of the food. As a retired cook, I really, really want to know how you keep slim?

    LLX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why you think I am slim Lettice! Very far from it.

      Delete
  3. As a kitchen based aside, Hugh F -W has a new book out soon. He's labelled it light and healthy since it's wheat and dairy free. I feel he's jumped on a bandwagon a bit so am undecided. Is it on your radar? Thank you for another lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, my mistake. It's actually light and easy, not healthy. Still, a bit of a departure for him though.

      Delete
    2. I feel he has definitely jumped on the bandwagon Tracy. I was checking it out on Amazon yesterday and wondering whether to buy it but I decided not to. I have however ordered Diana Henry's latest book A Change of Appetite after months of dithering as I love her ideas and feel the need for a change of appetite myself.

      Delete
    3. Well, there you go; one door closes and another opens. I bought Cook Simple and Food from Plenty based on posts on the QT and rate both highly. Off now to research and start the dithering process myself. Must try not to cave in over Hugh out f sense of loyalty, although I managed to abstain from Fruit and 3Good Things as they just didn't press my buttons.

      Delete
    4. They didn't press mine either but I shall look out for the new one at the library.

      Delete
    5. Similar dithering going on here but as I have never bought a Diana Henry book before perhaps now is the time. Good to see you kicking off September in style.

      Delete
  4. So much goodness... Your family is lucky to have u !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like another yummy week. And is it really September tomorrow? Blimey, where did that go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to come and live in your house :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the look of that pudding. I do a similar thing with chicken for the two meat eaters in the house, but without bashing it flat first. And I do mushrooms with a bit of cheese in them coated with the breadcrumb mixture for the two vegetarians. I can't recall what I do for the fish-eating cheese-hater. The greengages look good. I managed to get some local plums today, but greengages are a bit harder to find.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Ali ;)
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a lovely foodie week.....we had cherry Tom's, runners and corn on the cob all from our garden today...delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think you ever really learn to cook for fewer people. According to my mother you always feel that you should be cooking for six (in her case) and the smaller portions for two look like a miscalculation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:27 am BST

    I hope your children appreciate your meals. They always look fabulous to me, every last dish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those dishes all look lovely! May I ask how you make your caramelised onions? I never quite get them right! Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I cook them in butter or olive oil slowly until soft, melting and golden. Then I add a tablespoon of sugar to 4 or 5 onions (usually demerara but I don't think it makes much difference what kind you use) and a tablespoon of sherry or balsamic vinegar. I give it all a good stir and let the liquid cook away until they are jammy.

      Delete
  13. Sue, I saw greengage plums as one of the stands at the farmers market last week, and now very much regret not getting some. They rarely turn up at the market.

    Everything pictured in this post looks scrumptious...I agree with all those earlier comments expressing a desire to become part of your family!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. It all looks delicious Sue. I tried a chocolate version of the self saucing pudding once. I must say it looked alarming as I put it into the oven but it came out fine! Did you cook with the greengages or just eat them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cooked them in a crumble with other plums Alison because sadly they didn't really have much flavour.

      The chocolate version of the pudding is one of my family's favourites.

      Delete
  15. All your food looks so tasty. No point picking out any particular dish - they all look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your food is THE best !

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am in awe of your food photography skills, Sue. Your food looks scrumptious..... It's good to finally be back in the routine and catch up with my favourite blogs. Have a lovely week!! I have ordered my damsons in my local grocers to make the now staple damson gin... Pati x

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger