In My Kitchen

Tuesday, 1 July 2014















Last week in my kitchen
~ a jug of parsley
~ a lentil tart made with leftover lentil bolognese (red lentils cooked with onions, tomatoes, herbs- just like a meat bolognese). When cool the leftover lentils became quite firm so that I could spoon them into a part-baked pastry case. I added some grated cheddar and baked it for half an hour. It was very tasty with salad and new potatoes.
~ a couple of crusty loaves. I've given up using tins for my bread because I like the oval shape of the slices these long loaves produce and they seem more fitting for spreading with savoury things like pesto and tapenade. 
~  Kitchen flowers
~ Chicken marinating in honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger and garlic waiting to be stir-fried with carrots, beansprouts and spring onions.
~ a small joint of gammon waiting to be boiled into ham for the week's packed lunches. The bay leaf, parsley stalks, celery, onion and carrot are there to flavour the water which I froze in tubs labelled 'ham stock'. Fab soups in my future.
~ Breakfast toast with damson jelly (vintage September 2012).
~ Saturday night bolognese. Everyone's favourite.
~ Coffee cream cake before we demolished it.
~ Delicious honey-paprika grilled chicken. Took two days to clean my griddle after cooking this but it was so worth it. I will try and post the recipe soonish.
~ Last night's goat's cheese and leek galette. I had some leftover leeks in cheese sauce to use up so I made some shortcrust pastry, rolled it out into a rough circle, spread on the leeks and sauce, topped with discs of goat's cheese, turned the edges of the pastry up to stop it all leeking (ha ha) out. I finished it off by brushing the pastry with beaten egg and baking it in a hot oven for 30 minutes.
~ a carrot salad that seems to be ablaze. Excuse the smeary glass bowl.


”pinterest” ”instagram” ”email ”follow

25 comments:

  1. Of the many things I like about your blog, the one that came to mind when reading this post was how brilliantly and creatively you use food up from other meals. I need to follow your lead. And I loved the firey carrots!
    Diktynna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diktynna, I do try to use everything and you have reminded me that most of the beaten egg I used on the galette yesterday is in the fridge waiting to be omeletted with more eggs for lunch.

      Delete
  2. I was just about to say exactly what Diktynna said.... I love using leftovers more than anything, although The Gardener gets cross when I call them that, preferring to call the result a new meal, often with an element of surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leftovers are my favourite sort of meals too but you always seem to do it so creatively.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of inspiring stuff going on in your kitchen lately I need to try, especially that coffee cake - a must this weekend - as well as those chocolate toasties. A big fat thanks, Niki.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, I wish my tea times were as inspiring and colourful as your photos :-( x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant photos AND idea for leftovers. Looking at all your scrumptious food has made my tummy rumble, I better go and get some lunch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a really creative cook. I try to use up leftovers too, I love your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You never cease to amaze me, cooking wise! So inventive. Are you doing any knitting at the moment? Or is all your creativity going into food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jayne, I am knitting but it's the same thing I've been knitting since Christmas, a scarf. I'm just doing a few rows here and there.

      Delete
  9. Fiery carrots- love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the combination of economy and deliciousness. You do both so well and the photos are gorgeous, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious food with lots of variety. Your lot are pretty lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a FAB week you had,i think i might try the lentil tart,
    Thanks for sharing Sue, smashing post as ever.
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the idea of the lentil Bolognese, and then turning it into the quiche is even better! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. How did the "pest" taste on the crusty bread? Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Thanks Kari, I will correct that ;-)

      Delete
  15. I agree, it's very pleasing to turn the remains of one dish into another. Damson jelly too - I had to rush out and buy a pot after my daughter had a damson flavour ice cream on a family outing, it reminded me of the one my grandma used to make.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your food is always inspiring, love the lentil tart idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You always manage to be both inspiring and practical in your cooking and your kitchen, Sue. I feel better about all the pots full of random bits and bobs in my fridge, all the bowls covered in clingfilm with leftovers that will somehow or other go into something. I loathe waste.

    Also, in other exciting news, I am thinking of buying an ice cream maker!! I am so excited. I will now be stalking your recipe page in the ice cream section... :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sure I'm saying nothing new, but I absolutely adore your kitchen. It just seems sunny and comfortable to me, and I read your cooking posts avidly because I am not well-educated in that regard- a situation I am working to fix. Thank you.

    Slán go fóill,
    Giselle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! All of it. Now I'm hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous8:41 am BST

    Good grief, I love your posts. The PInterest has just taken me half an hour. Hey ho!!!!! Guess you are watching the tennis? Crazy results. Hope our boy is not a one game wonder. Cold and wet here in Queensland. Sheridan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am watching the tennis Sheridan, sad about Andy Murray going out though. I was rooting for your boy, he'll be back next year.

      Delete
  21. what a drool-inducing post. Do you take lodgers?

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger