Fireplace Art Gallery

Wednesday, 23 July 2014

Our house is only about twenty years old, part of one of those large housing developments you find on the edge of most cities in the UK. The house is easy to maintain and keep warm but it lacks character. One thing I don't like about it is that there are very few areas of wall space where you can put furniture. This fireplace takes up a big chunk of wall. It serves little purpose other than to provide somewhere to plug in an electric fire and one thing we don't need in this house is more heating. Of course we could rip it off the wall but that would mean a new floor as well as redecorating. Instead I've chosen to make a feature out of it. 


It has become a miniature art gallery for postcards and greetings cards. It's a rather slap-dash blu-tacked affair but I like it. Most of them are cards I have bought especially, but some are cards I have been sent.


The beauty of it is that I can change my art easily and cheaply, replace ones that are getting tatty and when Charlie claims not to have any idea of what kind of birthday cards I like I can point at the fireplace.


There are quite a lot of Ravilious cards there, some Mark Hearld, Emily Sutton, Tom Frost, Angie Lewin and Celia Hart plus a couple of travel posters.




When the fireplace is full I shall start on the doors.


A good online source of lovely cards is Down To Earth.


                                                        ”pinterest” ”instagram” ”email ”follow

21 comments:

  1. Lovely, a simple and effective idea. Your house may not be old but it looks full of character nevertheless.
    Shauna.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and no need for banking in hooks and nails either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you've done here, Sue. Our house is also twenty years old and part of one of those large housing developments on the outskirts of cities all over Holland. As you know, our living rooms are quite similar! Coincidentally, we're doing some DIY this summer to add a bit of character to our house. I actually love your fireplace - wish we had one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that idea, it's a great focal point. I have loads of cards too, as well as the Ladybird and Penguin postcards and peg them to lines of string anywhere I can.
    I've not seen the one of the children running before, love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sue,
    I have a stash of these cards in my wardrobe. Can't afford the art, but can afford the card. I say to myself that I am buying them for friends. I rarely use them to send to someone. I have to be in a very generous mood for that. I have been thinking that I should really display them in some way. Your idea is great. Sadly I lack a fireplace. I'm sitting here scratching my head about where I could put them. Your display has given me some motivation.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, it was fun to spot Celia's art straightaway. I've also got her cards amongst others facing outward from one of my bookcases. That's my stand-in for a non-existent fireplace.

    I love the light in your photographs, and those pretty flowers, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great collection! The first to catch my eye was Archie Parkhouse and his dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm a fan of James Ravilious' work as well as his father's. Although you can't see the expression on Archie's face I think the way he is bending over Sally is so expressive and tender.

      Delete
    2. Here's a link to that photograph if anyone would like to see it in more detail.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous6:22 pm BST

    What a brilliant idea! I think I might just steal it for my own boring fireplace.

    Tasha T

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it!!! I've just started pinning some lovely cards on a bulletin board. I think I may allow them to take over. Also, I can totally sympathize about not having many places to put furniture. In our living room there is not a single wall we can put furniture against. Anyway, thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea, and you have some really lovely cards. I particularly like the cormorant and the Cornwall travel posters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo, that cormorant...
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh YES! Such a good idea, I love collecting cards and am very reluctant to part with them, this is a great idea - a miniature art gallery, I love it. And so many kindred spirits :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous2:53 am BST

    Thank you for the link to Down to Earth! What a wondrous resource!! Cheers from Jane in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. DeborahS7:44 am BST

    Love the cards, and recognise many of them from our house. We have a constant display of cards on our sideboard and bookshelves. They cost so much and are so lovely, it would be such a shame to have the, on display for a week or so and then get rid of them.
    Ours also have a second life once we've done with them when I make them into cards to give pleasure to yet another person. Upcycling? Recycling? Who knows, but it makes sense to me on every level.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd happily have any of those cards on my wall. I have a place ready and waiting for a similar display. It is an odd alcove, formerly someone's china cupboard, which I have lined with unfinished lino. It smells wonderfully of linseed oil.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some gorgeous cards there, it all looks lovely :-)

    I am another that sometimes can't afford a gorgeous painting or sketch so will buy a card or postcard instead and frame it myself. I'm quickly running out of wall space.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea! I love the eclectic mix of cards.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous idea--and so many beautiful cards--recognize all of my favorite illustrators! x

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger