Puddings For When You Can't Be Arsed

Wednesday, 25 June 2014

Sometimes there has to be pudding. And by pudding I do not mean fresh fruit. I mean sugar, carbs and cream. Oh yes.

When the urge for sweet carby comfort strikes and desire to make any kind of effort does not, try one of these ideas. 

1) Chocolate toasties


Make sandwiches of white bread and chopped up chocolate. Butter the outsides of the bread and fry them in a non-stick pan. Weight them down with a heavy pan to speed melting if you are really desperate to stuff your face. Cream on top is good, as is vanilla ice cream.


2) Jam toasties and cream
My mum used to make these for us when we were little. Same principle as the chocolate toasties but with jam. Cream is essential here I think, or crème fraïche. The jam will be very hot so try to restrain yourself for a while to let it cool.

3) Bananas and Cream

Another one from my mum. Sliced bananas, brown sugar, handful of sultanas mixed with whipped cream. Nuts are a definite possibility.

4) Bread, Syrup and Clotted Cream


White bread, clotted cream and golden syrup. Absolutely gorgeous.

5) Water biscuits, crème fraîche and quince jelly
A lovely little pud. Spread water biscuits with crème fraîche and top with quince jelly. Also lovely with greengage or apricot jam. Really, any jam or jelly you fancy.

Finally two from the blog vaults



Useful ingredients to keep at hand when you must have pudding
  • Bread -white is really what you need in these situations.
  • Frozen part-baked croissants. These ones from Waitrose are brilliant but you will have to wait 20 minutes for them to bake. Fill them with clotted cream and jam, fruit, squares of chocolate or Nutella.
  • Puff pastry -you can get this in a block or ready rolled sheets. It takes about 20 minutes to bake. Spread a baked sheet of it with cream or ready-made custard and top with berries or sliced bananas and chopped nuts.Or make little chocolate sandwiches with uncooked pastry and bake. Nutella would work here too
  • Bars of chocolate. There is an obvious danger here that you might eat them before they are needed for pudding emergencies. I find, surprisingly, that I manage to leave plain dark chocolate alone.
  • Jams and jellies.
  • Golden syrup, honey, maple syrup.
  • Nutella -just spread it on bread and you have pudding.
  • Sugar. Obviously. Dark brown sugar is very good with bananas and cream.
  • Dried fruit.
  • Nuts.
  • Desiccated coconut.
  • Creamy stuff -clotted cream, crème fraîche, double cream or thick yogurt.

”instagram””pinterest” ”email ”follow

35 comments:

  1. My Aunty Mary gave me a thick slice of white bread spread with homemade blackberry jam and clotted cream when I was 6. I have never forgotten it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are times I don't want to restrain myself. I want one of these puddings. Now, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh yes a bit of instant gratification!
    Along similar lines to the chocolate toastie in our house we have the Ice cream sandwich. Basically two slices of chocolate spotted brioche (from Aldi - it's brill) and two scoops of ice cream squashed in the middle. Sometimes with a couple of sliced strawberries tucked in - just to take the curse off!
    Love your blog Sue,
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's face it, that's most of the time (when I can't be arsed, hehe). Fab quick ideas, thanks! Bananas in the chocolate toasties might also be nice. And cartons of Ambrosia ready made custard are also a store cupboard necessity, I find! Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bananas in the chocolate toasties would be very nice.

      Delete
  5. Sue, this is one of your most brilliant posts! I often struggle with puddings when I've put a lot of effort into a main course. So any of these ideas would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That chocolate sandwich....:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Might I add condensed milk sandwiches! Or indeed the more fashionable dulce de leche (on anything)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, can you do one for feeding the family when you cant be arsed!!! which is most nights lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. When, for heaven's sake, is pudding not a necessity? And how, in heaven's name, do you manage to leave plain dark chocolate alone? I'm starting to doubt your sanity, Sue. But thank you so much for the chocolate toastie idea. That will definitely be my new, favourite indulgence. (It will thrill my husband, too, as I've never allowed him to buy white bread, before.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nigella (bless her) used to have yorkshire pudding with cream and golden syrup as a pudding, which struck me as nice and easy. I guess the bread version is definitely for a CBA day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:59 pm BST

    omgoodness those chocolate sarnies look lovely, the bread/cream/syrup is called thunder and lightning i believe or thats what my gran used to call it, we eat a far bit of yogurt and also like ambrosia custard

    lovely post sue

    tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always understood thunder and lightning to be black treacle and clotted cream, but I'm happy to call this thunder and lightning. I wonder which is the lightning and which the thunder....

      Delete
  12. Anonymous1:38 am BST

    Delicious and charmingly British for these American eyes, starting with the word "pudding" which always makes me smile. Had to laugh about the risk of eating the stock of chocolate. Oh, how many times have I done that. Even eating cheap chocolate chips with almonds, because almonds as a snack is so healthy, but --- bland. The choco chips are so nice. Until I want to make chocolate chip cookies and have none left.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chocolate toasties with cream, flaming excellent. Anything with clotted cream, ditto. Some great ideas here that I know everyone in the house would love. I shall be trying the chocolate toasties VERY soon. Would breakfast be too much..?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh God, I do hate it when people offer fresh fruit as a dessert. It never happens in this house.
    We had the jam toasties as children ('fried jam butties', my mum called them). Sophisticated? No. But they were so good with cream.
    Tinned fruit with Tip Top, on the other hand, is better off consigned to history. Do they even do Tip Top any more?
    Great post.
    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gran always used to have Tip Top on tinned fruit cocktail.

      Delete
    2. It's still going strong, look here.

      Delete
  15. Will someone tell my husband that white bread is essential for certain recipes and things!
    He insists on wholemeal at all times
    Julie xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that title just made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my god, I have a serious case of "can't be arsed pudding" love. I am practically dribbling at the chocolate toasties :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow. Wow to all of it. We reach for the ice cream when we can't be arsed, but there is more fun to be had here I suspect.

    When I was a student and we wanted pudding we'd make sugar on toast. White bread (the plastic sort, of course) toasted then buttered and sprinkled generously with sugar then popped under the grill until the sugar bubbles and caramelised. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bloody hell, woman. What are you trying to do to me? I feel that I need to try each and every can't be arsed pud (except the banana one- yeuch) and I am supposed to be reining in my gluttony. If I have to buy new jeans I will send you the bill. Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a banana fan either but I rather like them served up this way. Or in a cake. With chocolate.

      Delete
  20. Sue, I have added creme fraiche to my grocery shopping list. Think I have the other requirement on hand already.

    Strangely, as I typed the above, I heard a radio news item advising us to cut back on sugar. I actually consume very little sugar, so I am not changing that shopping list.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the title of this post, those chocolate toasties look divine.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are a very, very, very wicked woman. I shall stop reading your blog at once; I have gained five pounds just from this post alone.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dreadful, dreadful torture for the diabetic type 2. I may have to lick my screen!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am now sitting in a pool of my own drool, you wicked woman!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous4:26 am BST

    Second that, we need a post for dinner when you CBA. These are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I may have to try the chocolate toasties - they look divine!

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger