Hazelnut Mocha Swirl Cake

Sunday, 15 June 2014


It's probably a bit late to make this cake for this weekend but maybe next weekend?
It's a riff on this one. The body of the cake is the same but the swirly bit is slightly different.

Hazelnut Mocha Swirl Cake


You need a greased tray-bake tin 9" x 13"

In a bowl put
500g (1lb 2oz) plain flour
½ teaspoon salt
210g (7½oz) caster sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
340ml (12 fl oz) milk
2 eggs

Mix well, then add gradually, mixing as you go
112g (4oz) melted butter

Pour the batter into the tin.

Next make the hazelnut mocha filling.
Mix together well
227g (8oz) soft butter
190g (7oz) dark soft brown sugar
1 tablespoon flour
½ tablespoon instant coffee powder I used Carte Noire Expresso powder
1½ tablespoons  cocoa powder
Add
85g (3oz) plain chocolate chips
85g (3oz) chopped hazelnuts

Dollop spoonfuls of the filling on top of the cake batter. Then use a knife to swirl it through the cake. 
Bake the cake at 180°c (160°c fan oven) for 40mins

Optional: while the cake is still warm pour over an icing made by mixing about 2 tablespoons of icing sugar, 1 teaspoon of instant espresso powder and enough water or milk to make a runny mixture.


15 comments:

  1. This is right up my street, thank you for the recipe....I've just made bread, cookies and brownies and when they are all gone it will be an Apple cake, then this one :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I would just love to bite into a slice of that! Beautiful recipe and beautiful photography as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds and looks wonderful for a pud or cake - saving this page as a baking bookmark for guests coming soon - many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. That cake looks divine. I've just made my son's favourite ginger cake from a Jane Grigson recipe. It's the squidgy-est and most gingery of all the recipes I've tried.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, delicious, no chance at all of me fitting into that dress then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy... I could just eat a slice of that right now

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:09 pm BST

    Thank you so much for all your lovely recipes. Have just made your apple cake. Bit unseasonal but some manky apples needed to be used and it was delicious. (Spell checker would insist they were manly apples..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you, i'm glad you enjoyed your manly apple cake!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:54 pm BST

      Thank you so much for all the wonderful recipes. So far I have made and loved your apple cake, banana and hazelnut crumble cake, ice pops and this recipe will be next. Can you tell me where do you buy instant expresso powder as I could only find ground coffee and I don't think that is what you mean? I am so glad you have gone back to blogging. I look forward to your lovely photographs and recipes. Helen

      Delete
    3. Helen, any instant coffee will do but for a more intense coffee flavour I like espresso powder. The brand I used is Carte Noire Expresso powder - I've bought it in Tesco's, it's with all the instant coffees. I hope you like the cake.

      Delete
  8. Sue, I'm happy to report that I have checked out Tamar Adler's wonderful book from my wonderful library. I have just begun looking through its pages, and very much admire her approach to cooking and her style of conveying information.

    Gosh, I feel just the same way about reading your "food" posts! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances, her style is rather more erudite than mine though!

      Delete
  9. Oh for the love of Penelope Keith

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to eat this so much but I'm on a diet so I can't, which of course makes me want it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. weekend? I'm not waiting until the weekend for cake!

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger