Elderflower Ice Cream


The hedgerows near my house are thick with the creamy foam of elderflowers and the air pungent with their musky scent. Their appearance is a welcome floral bookmark in the year marking the place where spring gives way to summer.



I gather elderflowers every year to make cordial. There is an easy recipe here, no need for hard to find citric acid, all you need are elderflowers, lots of sugar and lemons.

Whether you make it yourself or buy one of the excellent commercial elderflower cordials available you can use it to make more than a refreshing drink. Why not try an elderflower drizzle cake ? Or try this delicious and easy ice cream.



Elderflower Ice Cream

Makes enough for 10 generous cones

In a large jug or bowl beat together until pale and foamy (about 2 mins)
2 eggs
5 oz (140g) caster sugar

Next, add 
16 fl oz (450ml) double cream
5 fl oz (140ml) milk
4 fl oz (115ml) elderflower cordial (homemade or bought)
juice of half a lemon

Mix well. You can leave it in the fridge at this point for several hours.

Churn in an ice cream maker according to the machine's instructions*.
When the ice cream is nearly churned taste it to see if it is elderflowery enough for you. If not trickle a little more cordial into the ice cream as it churns.

Scrape the finished ice cream into a freezer container with a lid and store in the freezer overnight to firm up (unless you like it soft-serve style). I notice that many food blogs show ice cream in long loaf tins. This makes for a pretty photo but means you will have wrap the tin well to prevent ice crystals forming on the surface. A plastic tub with a lid is more practical and I'm all about practical.

 *If you don't have an ice cream maker see what ice cream expert David Lebovitz has to say about making it without. However, if you want homemade ice cream in your life then I recommend acquiring a machine. The model I have is this one, noisy but easy to use, easy to clean and it makes fabulous ice cream.



Elderflower Ice Lollies are even easier. Dilute elderflower cordial with water so that it is stronger than you would normally drink it -about 1 part cordial to 3 parts water, add  enough lemon juice to sharpen it to your taste and freeze in lolly moulds.



Elderflower Cocktail
I like my elderflower cordial diluted with sparkling water but when it runs out I have to make do with prosecco. I know, the things one puts up with.





”pinterest” ”instagram” ”email ”follow

Comments

  1. Love the look of that ice cream! I'm definitely going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah I love elderflower time. Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum yum yum. and cheers, I'll take one of those prosecco cocktails thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just noticed elderflower coming into bloom near our garage...I was thrilled! Thank you for these wonderful ideas. I will certainly be trying them! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this post, Sue - your beautiful writing and photos, the seasonality of it, the thought of elderflower ice cream, elderflower cordial...mmm. Wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning, very inspiring, your post. I have never heard from elderflower icecream, but I drink Elderflowerwater.

    Sigrun

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must buy an ice cream machine one day...
    My cordial was finished and bottled yesterday. It's lovely - and last night I had a prosecco and elderflower cocktail. It was possibly the nicest drink I've ever had.
    Thanks again for the recipe. It'll definitely become a yearly tradition.
    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks lovely. I once ate garlic ice cream (really) and liquorice ice cream and both were absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just had to tell you how much I love the phrase 'floral bookmark'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was rather pleased with it too!

      Delete
  10. What a lovely post! Beautiful to look at, and some great ideas. Having bought an ice-cream maker last summer, I used your recipe to make lemon curd ice cream, which was delicious. I'll be making elderflower cordial very soon and can't wait to try these recipes! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll bet your prosecco would benefit from a touch of elderflower cordial! I often put an elderflower in my gooseberry jam as I'm cooking it. It really gives a wonderful muscat flavour. Beautiful recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of your elderflower ideas sound delicious, I like the sound of the ice cream, but not having room for a maker I am unlikely to have a go, but I could definitely do the ice lollies, so I may just give them a go - or perhaps some ice cubes to go into a drink of cordial! You have got me thinking now. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, if you do make elderflower cordial ice cubes be sure to dilute the cordial with water. I tried to freeze it neat in ice cubes with the idea of putting elderflower ice cubes in g&t, but neat cordial is too sugary to freeze really hard and I ended up with a sticky mess.

      Delete
  13. Those recipes are mouth watering, I usually just make the cordial but this year I will be trying all your wonderful recipes! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been out gathering elderflowers this morning to make cordial so will give some of these ideas a try... especially the ice cream and cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sue, this looks absolutely sensational! Our Ice-cream maker has been running hot since we got it at Christmas time so I'm bookmarking this for our Summer. I have no idea what this flavour tastes like so I'm utterly intrigued x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do like your last statement.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment