Cornish Samosas

Friday, 13 June 2014


An easy supper idea. The spicy filling of a samosa in the crisp pastry of a Cornish pasty. East meets West Country.

Any pastry will do, bought shortcrust, bought puff, or homemade. I used homemade quick flaky pastry which is my favourite pastry ever. I divided my pastry into five pieces and rolled each one into a circle about the size of dessert plate - 20cm/8 inches. I brushed the edges with beaten egg (you can use water) and filled them with this mixture.


It is minced lamb, diced boiled potatoes, peas, onion and curry paste. I cooked the onion in oil first then added the lamb and cooked that until it was brown. Then I added the curry paste (2-3 tablespoons), the potatoes and the peas. I let is simmer for a few minutes to allow the flavours to blend. You may need to add a little water if the mixture looks dry. You could make this filling in advance. You could definitely make a big batch of it and serve it as keema curry with rice or chapatis one night and use the rest for these pasties another night.


I brushed the pasties with beaten egg before baking for 30 -40 minutes at 200°c (180° fan oven).

Variations
Use minced beef, turkey or pork instead of lamb.
Use chopped leftover roast meat.
Don't use meat -add chickpeas or beans.
Change the spices/omit the spices/add a spoonful of gravy or tomato paste to stop it being too dry.
Use different vegetables.






”pinterest” ”instagram” ”email ”follow

17 comments:

  1. Sounds good and not to complicated either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm definitely be giving these a try, they sound lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:03 am BST

    Cor, I'm definitely giving these a go!

    Tasha T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please could I have one for breakfast? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! Like the fusion too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cornish approval, phew!

      Delete
  6. Sue, the pasties in your photographs surely are making me hungry...thank you for the recipe and the alternative suggestions, too. I know I am going to try these, probably a lamb version.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just catching up here. We are off for a picnic tomorrow, and I now know we will be taking a veggie version of these with us. Thank you as always for the inspiration Sue :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh I love this idea. I will defo be trying this!!!! thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look delicious beyond belief. Love the veggie variant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so yummy. Lovely flaky looking pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look sooooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious. It reminds me of all the lovely pastries I used to eat in New Zealand as a child.
    Have a wonderful weekend there x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a brilliant idea! I think making a batch to freeze the mixture is also the way to go, you might as well make the most of the faff of preparation and get a few meals in the freezer! I think mine might be homemade shortcrust, or bought flakey as I can't be bothered to flake it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is perfect picnic fodder. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger