Chocolate Muffins With Extra Chocolate

Sunday, 1 June 2014

I tried to squeeze more chocolate into these muffins, I did, but there comes a point when a muffin is full. 

I adapted my favourite oatmeal yogurt muffins from Susan Reimer's fab book Muffins Fast and Fantastic by adding cocoa powder and chocolate to the batter and scattering chunks of chopped chocolate to each muffin before putting them in the oven.

They have white chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, plain chocolate chips, chopped plain chocolate and cocoa in them. They are extra extra chocolatey.


They were extra extra good.


Chocolate Muffins With Extra Chocolate
adapted from the Oatmeal Yogurt Muffin recipe in Muffins Fast and Fantastic by Susan Reimer

Makes 12

Place 12 paper muffin cases in a 12 hole muffin tin.
Preheat the oven to 200°c (180°c fan oven) 

Mix together in a bowl
3oz (85g) porridge oats
8 fl oz (230ml) plain yogurt
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

In another bowl mix
7oz (200g) plain flour
4 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
I like to use a whisk to blend out any lumps of flour or cocoa.

Next add the chocolate to the flour mixture. You will need about 5oz (140g) of chocolate. I used 1oz (30g)* each of white chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, plain chocolate chips and 50g of chopped plain chocolate. I reserved about ¾ oz (20g) of this chopped chocolate for the tops. You can use any combination of chocolate you like but do use some chopped chocolate, the variety of chunk size is very pleasing in a muffin.

Now add to the yogurt-oat mixture
1 large egg, beaten
4oz (110g) light soft brown sugar or light muscovado sugar
4 fl oz (110ml) milk
3 fl oz (85ml) vegetable oil or melted butter

Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and combine thoroughly without over-beating. Your mixture should not have any patches of dry flour in it but neither should it be beaten into submission. Lumpy is good.

Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases.
Lastly add a few pieces of the chopped chocolate to the tops of each muffin before placing in the oven and baking for 20 -25 minutes.

I think it is best to wait until these are completely cool and the chocolate has hardened into toothsome chunks, but others prefer them warm and oozing. Who am I to judge?

* You may be wondering why 4oz equals 110g yet 1oz equals 30g. An ounce (oz) is 28.35g so I've rounded a single ounce up to 30 but as 4oz is 113.4g it seemed more logical to round it down to 110g. But hey, we're talking about chocolate chips, chuck in as many as you want.



Enjoy

*

A blog break is a good thing, I enjoyed not worrying about not blogging. It was also lovely to read all your comments, they fired me with renewed enthusiasm for blogging, thank you! While I have been away I have had lots ideas for posts which I have been writing down in my blog planning book (remind me to show you that sometime) and I do believe this summer will be a very good one for blogging.

May Sampler
I may not have blogged much in May but I took photographs and made a sampler, here it is, you can also find it on my sampler page.


The cakes in the top left corner are lemonies, the picture in the top right corner shows roast cod with salsa verde, a fabulous vibrant green herb sauce which I will blog about soon, and the middle bottom row picture is chicken with cream and white wine loosely based on this recipe.


Fun fact: Every single time I typed the word chocolate in this post (including that time) I typed it chocoalte.

    ”pinterest”   ”instagram”   ”email   ”follow

37 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Sue!

    Would you forgive me if I made it all dark chocolate? I just don't see any point to white or milk chocolate. (And there are some words my fingers spell wrong, too, even though I know how to spell the words. Ironically, one of those words is "spell.")

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at extra chocolate. The lemonies look delicious too. So glad you have lots of post ideas, your blog planning book sounds like a very fine thing, I think maybe I need one of these. Any excuse for a new notebook. Have a good Sunday, CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back!
    Oooooh those chocolate muffins sound and look AMAZING ..... thanks for the recipe, I shall be definitely giving these a go ;o)
    Glad to hear of your blog re~invigoration!
    love Jooles x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all chocolated out! I bet they were delicious. On the subject of miss-spells, I constantly put FORM instead of FROM and because I type so fast on my laptop - built for speed! - I repeatedly space after the initial letter of a word and lump the rest of it with a second word. So lots of re-reading! Never mind.

    Yes, May was tough for me to blog through and I've been very remiss at blog-reading too, but then that is life and it is more important than a blog post.

    I used to plan my posts in advance, nowadays I am more seat of my pants, but it is a good idea. Look forward to reading your summer posts - here's to sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you have certainly become inspired! And thank goodness for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! It is lovely to see your gorgeous photos again and those muffins look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't think of a better way to return... welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good to have you back, Sue. I missed you very much. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea of a blog notebook, or any notebook.
    If ever I use the word church, I always seem to type in chruch.

    Muffins to die for.
    Glad you're back, very glad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love Susan Reimer's little book--don't use any other source for muffins. Yours look positively wicked.
    Funny, I had a feeling you would post today. No pressure though. I just enjoy them as and when. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never feel inspired by muffins, they sound too healthy to be a cakey treat, but these ones could reform my opinion, chocolate improves everything x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:32 pm BST

    What a delicious return post. It was a delight to read on a lazy, sunny Sunday afternoon. Did you make any adjustments to the lemonies recipe?

    Soraya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Soraya. The only change I made was to add a smidgen of yellow colouring to the icing. They went down very well with my family but they are very sweet and small pieces are advisable!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous12:15 am BST

      Good to know. I have sugar running through my veins but I balked at the icing sugar amount.
      But before I try the lemonies, I'm making these chocolate muffins. Thanks for the reply.

      Soraya

      Delete
    3. Now I come to think about it I may have used less sugar in the icing -a cup rather than one and a half?

      Delete
  13. Ha! I was just munching a triple chocolate cookie while reading this! Happy June 1st, and Happy Half Birthday! And welcome back. Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it's my half birthday, I should have some cake.

      Delete
  14. The muffins look gorgeous, a chocolate muffin should definitely be generous on the chocolate! I've just followed the link to the chicken recipe, thank you, I think that may well be on the menu sometime soon.
    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous1:02 am BST

    So you're going with a food p*rn theme. I'm on that like a monkey on a cupcake, or, as the case may be, an uber chocoalte bit of decadence masquerading as a healthy yogurt oatmeal muffin. I with you on this. It's already printed and headed for the refrigerator door. If this is what taking a break inspires you to make, then chillax as much as you want. I'll wait. Oh, yeah, beautiful flowers, too. Hey, we made it through winter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sue, your chocolate spelling amused me, the photographs of the chocolate muffins/cupcakes made me long to invade your kitchen. How long do those muffins to cool past molten choc temperatures, or do you all just cool them down with ice cream.

    I am so, so hungry as I type this, even if supper was less than an hour ago. xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Temptress! Pleased you're back in the land of blog - wasn't the same without you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are amazing.
    I know you like tv detective/drama - have you been watching Happy Valley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've missed that one, must keep my eyes peeled, thanks Marge.

      Delete
  19. If you had to go away, coming back with chocolate was a wise move.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Welcome back! I'm glad the break was restorative, and I'm selfishly glad you have plan for a bloggy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummy ... lovely to see you back ... looking forward to more lovely posts ... Bee x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good to see you back! I'm glad you're jotting things down in your blog book, making samplers and baking (and, just as importantly, sharing the recipes).
    I've discovered we have a rather large stockpile of oats. It needs to be used up before we move house really and I didn't fancy flapjacks very much. I suspect those chocolatey muffins will be a very popular alternative...
    S :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. So that would make these 5 choc muffins by my count! That has to be delicious!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. My mouth is watering...

    ReplyDelete
  25. You return bearing chocolate ... I knew I liked you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh gosh....who cares HOW you typed it, lol, just so long as you gave us the recipe .....! Looks and sounds delicious, spose I'll have to test them, sigh.......!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yay, you're back! Hurrah! I'm glad the break left you feeling re-energised and inspired, that's good to hear. Gorgeous sampler, as always. x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those chocolate things look spellbinding Sue, welcome back!!! I'm glad you had a nice break :-) Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous3:35 pm BST

    Good to be back in the kitchen with you Sue.
    Best wishes
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my goodness!! I just put on half a kilo reading this post!! Truly decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oooh thank you for the recipe soon, I'm going to bake some right away!

    ReplyDelete
  32. * should read Sue, not soon!

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger