A Merry Midsummer

Saturday, 21 June 2014



A merry midsummer's day to you. We always celebrate midsummer because it's also Charlie's birthday, but the summer solstice is a lovely festival to mark birthdays or not. I like very much what Laura has to say about it here.


Flowers and food are good and simple ways of marking this turning point in the year. Roses, lady's mantle and feverfew.


For a perfect midsummer-birthday meal  marinate chicken for a couple of hours in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, rosemary and lots of cracked black peppercorns. Sprinkle liberally with sea salt before grilling. Serve with a salad of green leaves.



Follow with these easy strawberry tartlets. The recipe is from Eliza Acton's wonderful Modern Cookery For Private Families published in 1845. They are indeed good as Eliza says, especially so with clotted cream.



Midsummers Past

”pinterest” ”instagram” ”email ”follow

12 comments:

  1. What beautiful flowers, they look perfectly midsummery. Happy birthday to Charlie, I hope he had a good day. Those tartlets look utterly divine. Oh how I love clotted cream. I could eat a couple of those right now. Love the old recipe book too. Hope you enjoy the rest of midsummer's day. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Charlie. By the way, does anyone know why it's called Midsummer when it's actually the first day of summer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to Charlie. Beautiful photos, Sue - I can never see enough of them. And those strawberry tartlets - you can bet I'll be making those soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! It looks and sounds like you had a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, my favourite kind of dinner. Looks delicious.
    I agree, I think Midsummer is a lovely thing to celebrate, even without the justification of a birthday. I always mean to mark it somehow, yet something (usually writing 38 school reports!) gets in the way. I'm glad I can celebrate it vicariously, through your gorgeous blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the 'Good' in brackets... quite possibly an understatement if pastry and strawberries are involved. I wonder if they were too restrained to indulge in clotted cream...

    The sun's shining and it's so lovely out there. I hope you all enjoyed Charlie's birthday. What a perfect date to celebrate each year.

    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum and Mmm. The flowers look lovely and the strawberry tartlets look.... (good)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my that recipe is confusing. Happy Birthday Charlie. it is the best week for birthdays x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful menu, both modern and traditional. I also have no idea why midsummer is on the first day of summer. I blame this on being American.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That chicken looks so good. What a wonderfully unpretentious, good, honest way to celebrate midsummer. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That chicken dish is exactly what I cook in summer - freezing cold at the moment and missing the meal and the warmth. Come on summer and long days! Your flower arrangement is lovoly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I meant lovely - or loverly??

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger