Chilli Chocolate Biscuits

 A crisp chocolate biscuit with chocolate chips and warmed up with cayenne, cloves, cinnamon and ginger. They may not look madly exciting but don't let that fool you. The cayenne gives them a subtle but definite kick and the other spices provide depth and interest to the chocolate.

They're based on Mary Berry's fork biscuits from her Ultimate Cake Book which is my baking bible (much more useful and reliable than Domestic Goddess).

This is the recipe with my adaptations in bold.
Makes 32 biscuits

8 oz (230g)  soft butter
4 oz  (115g) caster sugar I substituted dark soft brown sugar
9 oz (250g) self-raising flour
1 oz (30g) cocoa powder
½ teaspoon ground cayenne
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
6 oz (170g) plain chocolate chips

Beat the butter and sugar together by hand or with electric beaters until well combined.

Add the flour, cocoa powder and spices and mix into the butter-sugar mixture. I do this with electric beaters, it looks wrong to begin with as the mixture is a floury, crumby mess but keep going and the crumbs will become less floury and more like biscuit dough.

Add the chocolate chips, work them into the dough with your hands and bring together into a ball.

Make walnut sized balls of dough, place them on baking trays which you have greased or lined with reusable baking liners. squash each ball of dough down a bit with your hand or a fork.

Bake for 20 minutes at 180°c (160°c fan oven).

Allow to cool for a few minutes on the trays before lifting off with a palette knife to cool and get crisp on a cooling rack.






Comments

  1. Lovely scrumptious biscuits! I make the fork biscuits a lot & this version will become a favourite I'm sure. I can only copy you - I wish I had your inspiration & imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound good - but I've only just finished the Christmas cake, mustn't start eating again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful. I'm not a huge fan of chocolate cookies or biscuits, but your addition of the spices - plus the fact that I have three opened bags of chocolate chips in the cupboard - make these very appealing. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious. I love the sound of the spice combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sound interesting. Agree totally about who is the more reliable cook book author - in fact before Christmas I had a sort out and gave away all my NL books. Thanks for a great blog - happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've given all mine away too.

      Delete
  6. They remind me of Mexican hot chocolate, which often has cinnamon in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh - they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They sound great, I might insert those spices into my chocolate cookie recipe. I'll need to find some cayenne first though, I'm thinking chilli flakes might not have quite the same effect. Probably they'd make the children cry. Although that would be more cookies for me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sound lovely Sue!! Shame that I am giving up eating things like this for now. What chance my memory will store this away for when I am in need of some baking!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am I missing something? Why are they called fork biscuits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, my fault. Because in the original recipe you mark them with the tines of a fork before baking so that they have a ridged pattern.

      Delete
  11. Looks like some lovely biscuits. I also frequently refer to Mary Berry's ultimate cake book - but might have to pencil this one in alongside the fork biscuits :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, just the thing for these frigid temperatures here in the Midwest, could almost rate as a health food, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I should think so Gillie.

      Delete
  13. My favourite cake book too. I also have a fab recipe for a Christmas cake made with ground almonds and glace fruit from a 1967 magazine (Housewife, would they be able to get away with that nowadays) that my mother had and I recently discovered it is a Mary Berry recipe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh my goodness, they look good and quite exciting too. Chilli and ginger make such a good combination I've found.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bet they smell amazing as they are cooking. I like Nigella, but she's too slapdash to be a good baker. Will you be tuning in to The Taste on Tuesday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than watch The Taste!

      Delete
  16. Winding Ways5:43 pm GMT

    I just tried these and they're delicious! I did find them too crumbly, though, so I added an egg and felt it improved the texture. Just a question: When you say "cocoa" do you mean natural cocoa or Dutch-processed?
    Thanks for all the wonderful recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I've no idea which cocoa I mean. We only have one kind available in the UK, I can tell you that is 100% cocoa but other than that I'm afraid I don't know.

      Yes, they are crisp and crumbly rather than soft and cakey. Definitely a British biscuit rather than an American cookie. Glad you liked them :).

      Delete

Post a Comment