Pie- Along

Tuesday, 24 September 2013

On Sunday Ali and I had a pie-along. Quite by chance. No planning. I happened to post some pie-in-progress pictures on Instagram and whilst standing in a field watching sons play rugby Ali saw them. (Smartphones make waiting around for kids much more bearable). She was planning to make the same pie later. It's this pie .


Alicia's Sour Cream Apple Pie. Except I used crème fraîche instead of sour cream because it was slightly cheaper and came in a bigger tub. It's essentially the same stuff.


I used some little, locally grown, rosy-fleshed apples which were being ignored in the fruit bowl. They looked pretty but their flavour was dull. Alicia recommends a sharp apple for this pie and I will heed her advice next time as it needed a bit of zing.


I used soft brown sugar in the topping which also contains butter, flour and cinnamon.


It was a very good pie. It was also a pie worthy of experimentation. I'm thinking plums, maybe with ground almonds instead of flour in the filling and topping, perhaps some flaked almonds on the top. And what about gooseberries, or rhubarb with ginger instead of cinnamon? But before I try all those I will have to make a quince pie.


A pie made extra delicious by the knowledge that it was also being made and enjoyed by Ali and her family. Social media has its faults but the sharing of pie is not one of them.

By the way you might have noticed my new buttons on my sidebar which link to my email address and the social media I use. My thanks to Nina at Tabiboo for helping me install them -much fiddling around with html code but not as difficult as I feared.


16 comments:

  1. Oh Sue, I am making a note to myself to make this pie! Anything involving apples has got to be good, by this one looks specially good.

    Many thanks for the inspiration and recipe link.

    xo
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoah! So that's what a cream pie is - luscious! I have a large bowl of gifted plums, also being ignored, and some exceptionally tart local apples - whatta combination, hey? And I think ground almonds, as I am trying to reduce my wheat etc intake. (we'll ignore the pastry base. I suppose I could do something healthy and alternative here too.) Another winner, methinks! Thanks Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a strange coincidence ... that very pie is on my to do list this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you did make the pie. I'm glad it turned out well. I must try it soon. I noticed in your Instagram pictures that you've made a lovely striped scarf. Do let me know if you can get it to lie reasonably flat. I made a very similar one last year and had to ditch it as it kept curling up into a tube, no matter how much I blocked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do you think I haven't blogged it? :-) Despite knitting the first and last stitches of every purl row and blocking it I still can't get it to lie flat. I think you need to work a garter stitch border.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed your instagram posts on Sunday and found myself very much wishing I was making an apple pie too, while I was up to my elbows in chutney. You are right about the type of apples - whenever I use eaters I always think the pie or crumble lacks apple-y flavour. I guess those cookers are called cookers for a reason! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this looks amazing, and glad you mentioned creme fraiche as that was what I was thinking. How do you think it would work with cookers? I love the idea of plums and ground almonds giving it a bit of a frangipane vibe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I would try it with cookers Annabella. Bramleys will probably disintegrate, I don't mind that but if you want a cooker which keeps its shape try Howgate Wonder.

      Delete
  7. I saw this pie on Alicia's site and made a note of it too, it does look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pie looks delicious - my sort of pie
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am giggling like anything as am honoured to say I was also part of the Piealong - although made on Saturday evening with the "help" of my 11 year old and 9 year old. It used the most bowls ever in the creation of one dish but was completely and utterly worth it! Quick question - did you eat it straight away, hot, or leave it to cool? We had ours reheated for Sunday and think the top lost its crunch in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ate both warm and at room temperature. It was best at room temperature.

      Delete
    2. thanks. Will enjoy experimenting further!

      Delete
  10. That pie looks lovely, so autumny... I saw it on Alicia's wonderful blog and saved it on the computer as it does look nice. It is good you posted a picture of the inside of the cake as I wondered how it'd be. During the weekend I made a lovely Almond and Plum cake I saw in a very recent Waitrose newsletter and it was yum... great also for this season.
    Pati x

    ReplyDelete
  11. And again I say, YUM!!! I do very much like the idea of this with plums, that might well be even more YUM!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Obviously great minds think alike!! Sounds as though the pie was just as great too.

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger