Crab Apple

Friday, 30 August 2013






My little crab apple tree is certainly making up for last year's dismal crop. The apples are dropping thick and fast. None of the windfalls are really suitable for use but there are plenty of good fruit on the tree still.

What to do with them? I made a lot of crab apple jelly in 2011 but there are still three jars of it on my shelf. Clearly we don't eat that much crab apple jelly. Rather than miss the opportunity to make use of this abundance I think I will use them to make small batches of chilli jelly (chelly) and herb jellies. There are mint and sage growing under the crab apple tree which will make lovely jellies to accompany meat. Meanwhile I will continue to enjoy the bright colour these little apples bring to my flowerless garden.

August has been a riot of colour beginning with a Cornish blue sea and ending with little scarlet apples. Summer is still with us and I think it will be around for a while longer but by the end of September it will be autumn and how I love autumn.










18 comments:

  1. Your beautiful photos always make the best of every season, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have an enormous apple tree a the end of our garden - same height as the oak trees! - and it just produces rock hard marbles. They are very very hard if they hit you on the head when they fall. I understand the frustration of this harvest that you cannot use! GRRRRRRR isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! And Sue, we have a puppy of the 'may be quite large' variety! Not sure how that happened but there's a blog post in the offing x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love autumn too and the colour of those crab apples just shouts autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those crab apples have such a beautiful colour; the windfalls positively glow against the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore crab apple jelly. Have you tried the Hairy Bikers recipe for crab apple jelly gravy? It's delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely collage Sue. But I am clinging to summer for now. I don't want it to end. I have the same problem with jam. We really don't eat much of it, so once I have made a couple of small batches that is enough for the year. When we were on holiday people were selling it in their front gardens. Not sure if I can carry that off here in S Glos though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, even though, or perhaps because, I don't think I've ever seen actual crab apple, I do love crab apple jelly. If you lived within walking distance, I would be so happy to visit you tomorrow, and try to trade whatever currency you'd accept for some of that jelly.

    Isn't nature, and our global distribution of flavor fans funny?

    Sue, I love your posts, whatever their topics, and would hope that someday we might actually meet and laugh together.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thought Frances.

      Delete
  9. Herb Jellies. What a brilliant idea Sue. thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love autumn too and can't wait for it to really begin. The only downside is the shorter days I suppose...

    Love the colours in your crab apple photos and I love the look of your crocheted tote. Twine's a good idea - no stretching out of shape.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a pity you can't send your crab apples to me in New Zealand - I have fond memories of eating crabapple jelly that my Gran used to make for me. Would love to make some of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a particularly beautiful sampler. I love the way the colour travels round the square and ends with a smack of complementary blue in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh look at your pretty pictures!!

    crab jelly? never had it. (I feel so ignorant when I visit your blog... I have led a very sheltered food life!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to admit Sue to never trying anything that has been made with crab apples - I think I just live in the wrong county.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, the bliss of finding that you have made a new post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crab apples are not nearly as nice as Toffeeapples x

      Delete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger