The Colour Collaborative: July ~ Summer Colour

Tuesday, 16 July 2013


In the kitchen summer colour is all about the berry. Blood red cherries, scarlet redcurrants, crimson strawberries and raspberry raspberries. Crush them into fools with pillows of cream, jam them, jelly them, churn them into ice cream or eat them neat. I love them all but raspberries are my best.




In my garden are a lot of raspberry canes, random raspberries dotted all over. None of them are properly supported or properly pruned. They flop about and get tangled with gooseberries and roses, berries ripen unnoticed by me until they have become sodden with mildew.  Despite neglect my raspberries give me a bowlful of fruit a day throughout the summer and well into autumn.

A couple of days was all it took to harvest enough raspberries to make a couple of jars of raspberry curd.


As the curd cooks the intense raspberry colour softens to a gentler colour. The flavour of the fruit does not change however. It is the most delicious thing.


We ate it on toast, dolloped it on scones, stirred it into yogurt


Then we shovelled it into choux buns with whipped cream.


Raspberry Curd
Makes about two pots

Blend 8 oz (225g) raspberries with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Rub the purée through a sieve to get rid of the seeds.

Melt 4 oz (110g) butter over a low heat. Add the raspberry purée and 3 tablespoons of sugar.

Beat 4 eggs and strain them to get rid of the balancers (the stringy bits that hold the yolk within the white). Pour the eggs into the raspberry mixture and cook over a gentle heat stirring all the time until it thickens. This should only take a few minutes.

Pour the curd into pots. You should probably sterilise them but I don't bother. Curds only keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge and I knew ours wouldn't last that long.

For choux buns I can do no better than direct you to Delia. They are really easy and incredibly quick to make. Use a tablespoon to make about 6 buns. They go soft and flabby very quickly though so eat as soon as you can after making. Ten seconds is my record.


What is The Colour Collaborative?
All creative bloggers make stuff, gather stuff, shape stuff, and share stuff. Mostly they do that as individuals but what happens when they work together? Is a creative collaboration greater than the sum of its parts? We think so and we hope you will too.
We're starting small, with just five members for now, each offering their own monthly take on a colour related theme. And we're hoping that in combination our ideas will encourage us, and perhaps you, to think about colour in new ways. That's why we're each recommending that our readers visit the other Colour Collaborative's posts, we think you'll like what you find there.



36 comments:

  1. Okay, now I have 'make raspberry curd' firmly on my agenda.

    And I never knew about straining out the balancers - they irritate the pants out of me when I make lemon curd. Thank you, oh master of culinary tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have always called the balancers - chicken knitting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I mean, YUM. Raspberries ... my favourite fruit of all. Curd ... much prefer it to jam or jelly. Raspberry curd ... has to be perfection in a choux bun ... or maybe off a spoon? ;)

    You're ahead of the game today, my Colour Collaborative post won't be up until later :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The raspberry curd sounds delicious, and we are going fruit picking this afternoon, so will pick enough to make some. Incidentally, do you make your curd in a double boiler or just neat in a pan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz I make it neat in a small non-stick pan stirring all the time.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  5. I prefer curd to jam, less sugar more fruity tasting and a brilliant way to make use of all the fresh eggs we get. Perhaps this Raspberry Curd will vie for first place with the Lemon Curd I make, or perhaps not but it will be in very close second :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew you could make raspberry curd - what a delight! And I have never heard of balancers - though I have met the pesky things often. To my mind why have strawberries when one can have raspberries? No brainer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful. I have only ever made lemon curd but I really want to try raspberry now, for the colour as much as the flavour. Also, I didn't know you could make curd in the pan, I thought you "had" to use the double boiler method. So thanks for the tips and inspiration, and for the delicious photos too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lemon curd recipe uses a double boiler or a bowl over simmering water but now I've made this one I'm not so sure it is necessary. Mind you it isn't hard to do the bowl thing.

      Delete
  8. wow perfect colours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Sue, I am turning a delicate shade of another color...green it is. How fortunate you are to be able to gather a daily raspberry bowl from your garden. I absolutely love raspberries, but their market cost makes me treat them as a real treat. A delicious real treat!

    Until now I'd never heard of raspberry curd, but have instantly become a fan. Your instructions make the preparation seem not too difficult...particularly if you've got that handy bowl of raspberries.

    The colors shown hereabouts are splendid! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soft fruit always seems so expensive to me too Frances. We are lucky to have pick-your-own fruit farms hereabouts as well as garden fruit.

      Delete
  10. 10 seconds to eat 6 buns. Impressive....!
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post. I really want to try making a curd and I'd never heard of raspberry curd before so maybe I'll try this instead of the citrus-based ones I've been thinking of...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those raspberries look so delicious. I could pick them right off the page!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect! Berries always make me think of autumn && yet they are mostly out through summer too. My favourite things to embroider. Not long till our meet up...whoop!! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too love raspberries Sue, i love them frozen and then made into a smoothie with coconut yoghurt. Your curd looks delicious and spoon licking good, thanks for sharing and for telling us about your exceptional talent :o) x Penny

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is, I'm sure, going to be my favorite of your "colour collaborative" posts. I love the colour of raspberries, and I love the taste. (Although I disagree with the general consensus as I think strawberries taste better.) Also, I didn't even know that there was any other kind of curd possible, other than lemon, and I'd never heard of balancers. How woefully undereducated I am. I must keep reading this blog to further my education. Do you give out university credits for all this stuff I'm learning from you?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous6:19 pm BST

    I've been growing raspberries for about 25 years (once started, one doesn't stop). Every summer I approach their ripening with both anticipation and dread--what will I make this year? I'm happy to have another recipe to consider; I like the idea of putting it in the pastry shells, with, ahem, cream. Perfect. Bliss.
    This spring I finally got it together to build a trellis for my canes. Dutifully thinned them, tied the remainder to the trellis. Finally I would be able to pick the berries with ease. I was VERY pleased with myself.
    There is a reason raspberries grow on the underside of the branches, where one has to both gingerly lift up the branches and bend down to play I Spy something red. It is to keep the birds from getting them. All the birds in the neighborhood are thrilled that I strung them up on a trellis because it makes it ever so easy for them to eat their fill. I did get some, before the word got round they were ripe for the picking. But other obligations pulled me away from the harvesting and kitchen work. My total of harvested and eaten raspberries was pretty small. Sigh.
    Sometimes it's better to let things be, and then stand in the patch and eat them as you pick them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There now, I knew I was doing it right :)

      Delete
  17. Ummm, I love raspberries too. Strawberries are nice of course, but raspberries have that delicious tang and that curd looks absolutely delicious!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love raspberries, and am attempting to grow them in large pots. Not very successfully yet but I will persevere. This recipe sounds very moreish.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing and delicious! Now I know why these are my favourite colours!
    (For my new school website I need to write a small passage about what my favourite colour is and why - you've given me lots of ideas. Thanks! x)

    ReplyDelete
  20. mmm--yummy! Raspberries are my favorite berry. Yesterday I whipped up some cream and ate it on peaches and blackberries. Your strawberries and cream influenced me 100%!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous10:20 am BST

    Yum Yum Yum!!! ten seconds is most admirable.
    Sheridan.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've got that eating gift too !
    lovely post, i need to plant raspberry canes, soon.
    susan x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good morning, Sue...
    Love the colors in this post, the first three pics are my favorites, not just for the color but for the close-up view of the way raspberries are constructed. It always delights me when I see them in person, the way they're made up of little juicy nibs of flavor and color. They shout "summer!" to me.
    Like many other commenters, I'd never heard of raspberry curd, but now I can't wait to make it! Thank you for the inspiration.
    Also thanks for making me chuckle aloud at your "record!" :-D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh dear. what are you doing to me ????

    that choux bun. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oooh, nice. Raspberry curd... choux buns - Delia's recipe is so reliable! And I just happen to have raspberries in the fridge. Ten seconds, eh? A challenge has been issued.

    I never knew that the knurdly bits (that I squeamishly fish out of omelettes with a particular close-tined fork kept for the purpose) were called balancers......

    ReplyDelete
  26. ohhhhhh, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely colour. And timely for me - I've been thinking about my favourite colour combinations recently (there are many).

    As for raspberry curd - yes please. To me raspberries are far superior to strawberries. Eaten fresh or in jam form. Raspberry ripple beats strawberry ice cream too. And of course, they're the best with meringues.

    Time to stop I think...

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger