Almondy Muffins


As promised here is the recipe for almond muffins. It's from Katie Quinn Davies' book What Katie Ate. I've tinkered with it a little. The original recipe was for apple and strawberry almond muffins but I had no strawberries when I first made them so they became apple and almond muffins. The next time I made them I used rhubarb instead of apples. I also increased the quantities and swapped cinnamon and vanilla for almond extract.

 You can try all sorts of different fruit in these. Chopped plums, peaches, apricots (dried or fresh), raspberries or strawberries all sound good to me and chocolate chips instead of fruit are worth serious consideration.

Almondy Muffins slightly adapted from What Katie Ate
Makes 24

First toast 3 oz (85g) flaked almonds in a 200°c (fan 180°c ) oven for 10 mins.
Set aside for sprinkling on the muffins later.
While that's happening melt 8 oz (227g) butter. Set that aside to cool slightly.


Measure into a bowl
13 oz (370g) self-raising flour*
4½ oz (125g) ground almonds
9 oz (260g) sugar
4 tsp baking powder
2 pinches salt
Mix.  I use a whisk to do this to ensure there are no lumps.


Next add your fruit.
I used two grated apples (skins as well). For the rhubarb muffins I used about 7 oz (200g) diced raw rhubarb. You're aiming for two good handfuls of fruit.



For wet fruit like grated apple I think it's a good idea to toss the fruit through the flour to make sure it doesn't all clump together.


Now for the wet ingredients. In another bowl beat together
12 fl oz (360 ml) milk
2 large eggs
the melted butter
1 tsp almond extract (optional)


Combine the wet mixture with the dry mixture.
It will be very wet. Don't be scared.


Dollop into muffin cases filling them about two thirds full.
Scatter each muffin with the flaked almonds. Add a sprinkle of demerara sugar too if you like.


Bake for 25-30 mins at  200°c (fan 180°c)



*If you use plain flour instead of self-raising your muffins won't rise much. My muffins haven't risen much. Guess why.


New email
I have a new email address - ladyofthequinces@gmail.com
You can find it on my 'about' page and on my sidebar.



Comments

  1. Anonymous8:13 am BST

    Hi, I'm fairly new to you blog, but goodness me, you make some lovely stuff. Can't wait to have a go at making some of these muffins. Thanks for the recipe. Wendy.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look wonderful, and I'm always reassured when recipes tell me not to be scared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look soooooooo goood Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look lovely and good to know that the fruit can be varied according to what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just made a small batch with dried apricots. (I did add essence because I really like an almondy hit but didn't bother to pre toast the flaked almonds). They look very good and taste even better. Perfect Monday treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I think pre-toasting the almonds is probably unnecessary as they are going to be toasted anyway. Glad they tasted good.

      Delete
  7. They look delicious. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting the recipe. They look even more delish than the first time you showed them. I like recipes that allow for variations. Right now it's winter here so I think I will be apple-ing them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I treated myself to that book a few months ago and it's fab isn't it. My boys favourites at the moment are the chocolate meringues! Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo la la. Another inch on the waistline. Thanks Ax

    ReplyDelete
  11. I borrowed this book from the library, It is such a beautiful book. I made the roast pork recipe and it was absolutely delicious. Your cakes look lovely, I think I may have to make them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look wonderful. I particularly like things with ground almonds in them. Love your new email address, it's just right I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the recipe Sue, they look soooo yummy!! I will try them this weekend! Hope your day is going ok. I love the idea of the colour collective that you mentioned in your previous post and really like the blogs that are participating in it.
    It does make you look at things and appreciate them in different ways and allows for a more aesthetic spin to the way we look at things, pictures etc.. In a way it is a bit like looking at art from different perspectives. It is so easy to go through life like automats and there are so many different and interesting angles we can focus on when we look objects...
    I think it is a great idea! Have a lovely day, Pati x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whenever I read your blog I come away hungry. Stop it now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Made these yesterday and got a big thumbs up from the family...light and delicious! Thanks for the inspiration.
    Pats.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made these yesterday whilst watching the Wimbledon final. They were quick and easy to make and delicious. I added some chopped fresh apricots this time but I am looking forward to trying them with other fruit. Thanks again for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:02 pm BST

    I love the way you use both Imperial and metric measurements - I'm a pounds and ounces girl but have to use grams to help my son weigh his cookery ingredients for school, so thank you for this! Your photography is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. deedownunder5:42 am BST

    Thanks for the recipe Sue ..I made these this afternoon and they are delicious. I varied them by adding currants to the grated apple, and instead of the butter, I used a cup of sunflower oil. (For the cholesterol watchers in my family - not me) Worked beautifully. Deedownunder

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment