Random Deliciousness

Friday, 8 March 2013

Gosh I haven't done one of these posts for ages. This one is heavy on the salad. No cake or puds. Sorry about that.


Feta Niçoise. This was slightly adapted from the Fast Diet book. It comes in at around 390 calories. I used big handful of little gem lettuce leaves, chopped cucumber, 50g green beans, 6 black olives, 2 medium boiled eggs and 60g feta plus a squirt of lemon juice and some black pepper. Very filling.


I made this noodle salad for the children's lunch boxes. Noodles are their favourite foodles.
It is Nigella's sesame peanut noodles but without the peanuts or sesame and with completely different veg. It is in fact a totally different recipe. I followed her recipe for the dressing substituting sunflower butter for peanut butter, leaving out the sesame seeds (I had none), using sunflower oil in place of garlic oil (I had none) and lemon juice instead of lime juice (I had none). I cooked some dried egg noodles and mixed them with the dressing and some cooked carrots, peas and sweetcorn and raw spring onions. It has gone down very well and has lasted nearly all week. Next Time I might add some cooked chicken.


This is a ready-made endamame and aduki bean salad which I bought for one of my fast day lunches (186 calories a tub). These ready-made salads are fab for calorie counting days but you do pay the price -literally.



This is lentil, feta, grape and walnut salad from here. I used beluga lentils for this which are like tiny black beads. They don't retain their black beadiness once cooked and any lentil would work for this salad apart from orange ones which will turn to mush. Apologies, I deleted my flickr account the lentil salad pic was one of the casualties.


A piece of grilled chicken and a heap of salad has become my favourite fast day meal. I bash the hell out of a skinless chicken breast to tenderise it and make it thin enough to cook quickly on the griddle. then I squeeze half a lemon over it and sprinkle some spices and or garlic over it and leave it to marinate for a few hours. Much nicer than the pasta bake the rest of the family was having.



I apologise for the quality of this photo. I've done my best with it but it still looks as if it were taken in 1975.
Note to self -do not photograph food in the dining room when the light is on.
Roast parsnip, carrots and red onion with halved cherry tomatoes added for the last few minutes. The whole lot was tossed in a honey-mustard dressing and served with spicy sausages. Really delicious.

34 comments:

  1. I have a similar recipe for a lentil salad (nicknamed Liz's Lentil Doodah by a kind friend) which has feta and sunblushed tomatoes with a parsley garnish (an Ainsley Harriot recipe). Your salad looks even more delicious and will certainly be added to my repertoire. Thanks for the reminder of date slice, it stirred me off my backside to bake some and my girls (both allegedly date haters) have wolfed it down! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just thought I'd pop in and have something to eat! I wasn't disappointed - that feta salad suits me down to the ground and the beans and lentil dishes look great too! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh you've reminded me, I've been meaning to email you all week about the lentil salad as I wanted to know what lentils you'd used, I think I cook mine for too long, but then I've only tried the green ones. It was really delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I do love your foodie/salady posts - just my cup of tea.

    I buy a couple of those pots of ready made salad (2 for £3.00?) most weeks. The edamame bean one with sugar snap peas is the family's favourite. Added to green leaves, each pot is plenty for four as a side.

    There's something about eggs in a salad. Potatoes in a curry too. Heaven.

    Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it funny how different food photography used to look? Your last does remind me very much of my Cranks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hah! Amazing how all those 70's photos have turned orange, isn't it?

    Am really getting interested in this .....diet....(ugh) having read about it all over the place. It does seem sensible and do-able. Just at the trembling on the brink stage, reluctant to throw myself into yet another...well, you know the routine.

    Love especially the first photo, the meal looks so fresh and crisp and welcoming....just like your blog! Tah- day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sausage meal, but you are spot on with your 1975 comparison! Boy, them is bad cookbooks.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all looks fab. I'm going to have to radically overhaul my diet because I'm slipping into the habit of not planning ahead and ending up eating rubbish. *slaps own wrists* Thanks for the visual pep talk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually eat toast during the day but in an effort to eat more of a balanced diet I made Tabbouleh yesterday and found that it was delicious. Mostly I feel that salad is lacking in calories which makes me hungry after I have eaten it but this seems to do the trick.

    Your salads always look more exciting than others, especially the Feta Niçoise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know there are people out there spending good money on filters to make their photos look as if they were taken in 1975 ;)

    I am desperately trying to diet and still struggling with the dodgy jaw and now another tooth abscess. I'd love to try your Feta Niçoise but I think I'd have to purée it! Green Velvet soup for me again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sue, thank you very much for each one of these menu ideas. It's great to see how you adapt recipes to make them your own. It's that sort of "free lancing" that appeals to my own ways of cooking.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sue, that noodle salad looks ideal for my kids, who are very anti peanut butter. Where do you buy your sunflower butter in bulk? I live near Birmingham, and cannot find it in the shops. Would appreciate advice about it. Thanks for the blog - am making fish cakes with some smoked haddock today using your kipper fishcakes recipe. Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina,
      I have never seen it in shops either. I get mine from Goodness Direct who I find very good. I also buy 3kg bags of nuts, coconut and sunflower seeds from them.

      Enjoy your fishcakes :)

      Delete
  13. Hello :o)

    What a fab and funny post (you made me giggle Sue), full of great fast day tips! the chicken and salad doesn't look like a diet meal at all ..... Hallelujah!
    have a great weekend
    love jooles xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh I really want to try the first salad this weekend! Off to add ingredients to grocery list... K xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. The noodle salad looks good - I always seem to go a bit blank when it comes to lunch inspiration. Will be adding noodles to the shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That feta salad looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing, I do love your food photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything looks so good and so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything looks great. The chicken I'm going to try tonight and then tomorrow the noodle salad.
    Again your pictures a lovely

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! Yummy lunch and salads -- I may be trying some of these out soon. You take lovely photos!! I always find myself coming back to your blog to look at them.
    Have a great day!
    Thanks for the inspiration,
    Wren

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your photos are gorgeous and the food all looks wonderful. I especially love the look of those noodles; my children would really enjoy them too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That all looks delicious and has given me lots of ideas. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is a great selection, thank you. I'm trying all of these! I laughed at the 1975 photo comment. I know just what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How on earth does lettuce and green beans and an egg manage to rack up 390 calories?

    I am surely doomed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 90g feta is about 250 cals.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Everything looks yummy! Especially your feta salad (which I would probably do without the feta) and your sausages and roasted veggies (will definitely try that!!). Great inspiration as always!! Enjoy mother's day tomorrow! Pati x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum yum yum. I have bought the very same edamame and aduki salad and it is delicious but blimey, is it ever expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooh, I'm loving that noodle salad idea for lunch boxes, very good. I shall be bookmarking that for future reference. I have a real soft spot for your 1975 style pic too ;)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  28. These salads all look divine, and your photography is beautiful. Were you a food stylist in a former life??

    I've fallen off the fast diet wagon and need to haul myself back on. Your salads have inspired me.

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those salads look very yummy, I shall have to remember them when it's less brassic outside & I can face eating something other than stews & soups

    ReplyDelete
  30. The salads all look delicious, and also, I really love the bowl in the first photo. It's very sunny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. GREAT post!
    I am currently getting zillions of spam comments too.
    It's driving me CRAZY!!
    But when I suggested getting rid of anon comments on twitter the other day quite a few wordpress users said they wouldn't be able to comment at all. So I've left it. I'm thinking about putting back the annoying captcha thing tho.
    I'm still unsure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure they are right about that Kate, there is an option for to comment with Wordpress. I've been enjoying your harvest pictures on your blog and instagram so much by the way -makes me wish it was autumn here.

      Delete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger