Sunday is Pudding Day

Sunday, 6 January 2013

The plans for a healthier way of eating have been finalised. Rules have been drawn up.

1) Eat food. Mostly plants. Not too much. Thank you Michael Pollan
2) No snacks. No sweets. No seconds. Except (sometimes) on days that begin with an S. Thank you No S Diet

Blindingly obvious really.

Sunday starts with an S so it has been designated pudding day at The Quince Tree. Our weekday puddings have always been fruit from the fruit bowl -an apple, a clementine, a banana, a cluster of grapes. Saturday too is now a fruit pudding day but in the form of a fruit salad and with more exotic fruit like mango or pineapple. But Sunday is a day for proper puddings.



Today, as Coffee Lady reminded me, is Epiphany. I realised that I had all the ingredients to make a Galette des Rois, the perfect Sunday pud. 

Galette des Rois is a traditional French dessert eaten at Epiphany. It should have a bean (or ceramic figurine) hidden in it. The finder of the bean is declared the king or queen for the day. I forgot all about the bean when I made my galette. I also forgot that it should have a paper crown on top. I did however remember all the other ingredients and I even added one of my own. 

I used this recette with the very English addition of half a jar of mincemeat. 

Galette des Rois au Mincemeat

500g all-butter puff pastry (I used readymade)
50g soft butter
75g caster sugar
100g ground almonds
1 egg (because in French 1 egg is un oeuf -geddit?)
Mincemeat -about a teacup full
Beaten egg for glazing

Cut the pastry in half and roll it out in a circle big enough to line a 10 inch tart tin or pie plate*.
Prick the base with a fork.
Make the almond filling by beating together the butter, sugar, egg and almonds.
Spread the mincemeat over the pastry and spoon the almond mixture on top.
If you are being traditional hide a bean in the filling at this point.
Roll out the other half of the pastry. Place it on top of the filling and press the edges together- brush edges with water to help them stick.
Finally mark a pattern of lines with a knife (traditional) and brush with beaten egg to give the galette a lovely golden finish.
Bake at 210°c (190°c fan oven) for 30 minutes.
Eat warm or cold.

*
If you don't have a suitable tin you could make this flat on a baking sheet. Put it on top of some sort of non-stick paper or liner. The filling is not runny so it should be quite easy to make this way.





C'était délicieuse.



21 comments:

  1. Sue, I love the idea of you adding traditional British mincemeat to a traditional French pastry. It's like "when two worlds collide"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Torture sheer torture!

    I had to read the joke twice I am very dim tonight, not enough calories going down to fuel the already feeble brain that I have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is interesting ! (though you should have seen the look on my husband's face when I told him about the English twist on this French speciality...) it does look good and I would have been curious to taste it !
    (Again, I will give the link to my 2° pupils)
    I had found the S diet (or no S) somewhere on the net too... but stick to it on and off. The hardest for me is no seconds... I should try harder.
    All my best wishes to you and your family, looking forward to another year of delicious recipes, wonderful photos and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole the mincemeat was definitely a good idea, I recommend it - even to French men!

      Delete
  4. I just about got it! I had to think about it though. 1 egg is enough! Doh! I have all the ingredients for this naughty pud...now could you calculate the Weight Watcher Points for me please? Maybe I should just skip the Sunday lunch and go straight to the pud? I am trying to resist the urge to make a 'Sticky Toffee Pud' the scales won't like that either. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for that wonderful joke - much groaning followed my retelling of it. Almost cracker quality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The No S diet sounds like a bloomin' good idea.
    And it starts tomorrow.
    Un oeuf is un oeuf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bugger. Have all the ingredients for this but we were out all day. Would it be wrong to make it on non-Epiphany?
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let me be good, but not today? Well, I shouldn't say anything having broken several resolutions already!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant - yesterday I was wondering what to do with the last of my mincemeat (bit sick of mince pies now, and as the mincemeat was made so close to Christmas it never made it into a jar so I'm not sure how long it will last in a bowl in the fridge). Now I have the answer. Not sure that I can wait for a day beginning with an S though. Today is the last day of the Christmas hols, so perhaps that can be my excuse for a pudding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S days include special days -Christmas, birthdays, last days of the holidays etc

      Delete
  10. Haha....it took me a minute....but I got it!!

    This looks a really tasty way to use up some Mincemeat.

    As for the S diet, for me every day is a 'special day' and therefore starts with an S....must be firmer with myself or I'll never meet my weight deadline...lol!!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have just finished the Christmas cake and the last of the Quality Street and await your instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks gorgeous, hope your healthy eating plans work out

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have now googled the no s diet. Makes much sense and seems very easy without being too tricky/overwhelming to follow. Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Sue, your galette looks scrumptious! I've recently read a post from a NYC friend who's now in Paris for while, who told of an extravagant Galette des Rennes...and she found the feve in her serving. Ooh, la, la!

    I can see that adding that cup of mincemeat would be a grand idea. Now wondering if I will remember to try to bake your recipe's galette myself. Thank you somuch for the recipe.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your rules are perfect ... that's how I used to eat, back when I was slim and well, which I guess tells us quite a lot. I will endeavour to follow your example :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the heads up on the 'No S' Diet - how refreshingly simple and sensible. Rules implemented as of yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. echoing previous commenters on the sensibleness of the 'No S' diet - not come across that one before, so thank you!
    Now planning a particularly Special cake for Sunday - Seville orange and almond (similar on BBC Good Food website btw)

    Good luck to all well intentioned readers!

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger