Store Cupboard Challenge ~ Day 8

Tuesday, 2 October 2012



This week's shopping

I've spent more this week. There were a couple of things which needed replacing and I've bought bacon (so useful) and some hazlet (for sandwiches).

 I've bought more fruit and veg than I did last week. I think it is very easy to be over optimistic about how much fruit and veg you're going to eat. In our mind's eye we ourselves as the type of person who eats their five a day without fail. I am going to get through all the veg I have bought this week though, plus the few bits left from last week. I promise.

 I've also bought extra milk and butter as I didn't like nearly running out last week. Ocado were offering Cathedral City Cheddar for half price this week -600g for £3.24 and whole Brie reduced from £4 to £1.89, so rather than buy my usual 750g of own brand Cheddar I went for both these options -more cheese for less money. We will have some of the Brie in sandwiches (those of us who like it) and I shall probably use some to make some sort of tart with leeks and bacon, or maybe something with the beetroot I have which needs using up.

What I haven't bought are things I already have, or at least already have an appropriate substitution for. I haven't bought treats such as chocolate or interesting looking spices, exotic ingredients or ingredients to make some lovely sounding recipe I saw in a new cookery book. I'm sure I can come up with some lovely recipes using what I have  :)

From Ocado; 20 pints milk, 3 x 500g butter, 600g of cheddar, 500g Brie, 250g smoked streaky bacon, 3kg strong white bread flour, 2kg oats, honey, decaff coffee (one third off), ground coffee
Cost £31.22

From the farm shop; 1 dozen free range eggs, 234g hazlet, 400g courgette, 2 little gem lettuces, rocket, 1.385kg carrots, 315g broccoli, 865g leeks, 470g cherry tomatoes, 1kg bananas, 4lbs cox's orange pippins, 4lb James Grieve
Cost £15.84 

Total cost £47.06
Apart from a carton of cream at the weekend  that's it for this week's food shopping.


Two rather uninspiring meals so far this week. Above is a fish stir-fry made with a bag of frozen pollack fillets which we ate with rice. Pollack is perfectly pleasant but it tends to fall apart easily which makes it more suitable for fish pie or fish cakes rather than for frying. I used a recipe for the sauce and unwisely followed its instructions to add salt as well as soy sauce. Too salty.

Yesterday I appeased the pasta gods, and my children who seem to adore the stuff. I cannot work up much enthusiasm for pasta. I find it dull. I get annoyed by the way the sauce migrates to the bottom of the dish and unless there is a substantial source of protein in the sauce I will be ravenous an hour later. But the children love it so we had spaghetti with a spicy tomato sauce which included anchovies, chillies and black olives. All in all the sauce would have been much nicer spread over a pizza. I love pizza (just in case you were suspecting me of anti-Italian tendencies).

I have also made a batch of Welsh cakes (nothing against the Welsh either), more granola, three wholemeal loaves and I am trying out a new recipe for crusty white bread which I am planning to serve with tomorrow's supper. 

Oh, and I also melted my fish slice by leaving it on the hob. 





26 comments:

  1. Ooh you're doing well (apart from the fish slice lol) - hmmm no I've gone off pasta too - keep up the good work xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these store cupboard challenges! It's such a nice feeling to invent meals from what we find in our cupboards. I was a bit 'ashamed' (not really!) that I found 6 bars of dark chocolate in mine... that wasn't challenging to make something - fattening comes to mind though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another brilliant post, I am loving this series of posts Sue. I have mentioned your challenge on my blog as I was writing about shopping for food and an article I had read about how to shop like French person. Hope you don't mind the mention - it was positive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. maggie graham8:50 pm BST

    Nigel Slater has a programme staring soon which deals with cooking with waht you have. Can't wait and will search for the ling. You are doing perfectly well withou it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, what's hazlet? I just looked it up and all I can find is a township in New Jersey. (Thanks for inspiring me to do a better job of using what is in my cupboard. We are enjoying a new granola recipe and I am about to make seeded crackers.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's what happens when you spell haslet wrong. In my defence it was spelled with a z on the packet. Haslet is basically nothing more than cold meatloaf sliced very thinly. A good butcher will sell it but it is hard to find in supermarkets these days. My mother would buy it often when I was a child.

      Delete
  6. maggie graham9:00 pm BST

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vt10m
    Missed the first one. Will catch it on i player.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All my utensils have their battlescars (usually from resting them on the rim of a too hot pan). I am suspicious of people whose kitchen equipment is pristine, so I'd take the melted fish slice as a badge of honour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah....a melted fish slice, so many of my utensils bear their battle scars with honour, somehow I just love them more. Even the wooden spoon that I accidently set it's handle on fire is treasured more than any brand new one could be. To me it shows that they are used (and abused) on a regular basis.

    Your challenge is going well and your shopping top up looks lovely, all fresh and inviting.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh please can we have the crusty white bread recipe if it works out? I make your half and half bread - the only recipe that I can rely on to work every time - and we all love it. I tried Paul Hollywood's ciabatta recipe because that's the one supermarket bread we eat a lot of - what a disaster. And a friend gave me 'brown' bread made in her bread machine recently - it was like shiny rubber, very strange. We are moving house (again) soon, so your store cupboard challenge was a very timely nudge to get our food stores rationalised - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bread recipe is something I found on Pinterest and I will certainly give the link (if it doesn't turn out to be a disaster).

      Delete
  10. I love seeing your weekly stash Sue. I find it rather comforting, the staples of family cooking. I have just flirted with Abel and Cole, lovely but I have fled back to our local farm shop. Your posts are making me re-think the way I operate in my own kitchen, not before time. However if I did an inventory of my cupboards and freezer you would be horrified!

    I too would love the recipe for your new crusty bread, I hope it is a success. Our bread machine has met it's maker and I feel like going freestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Welsh cakes. Staple of my childhood when my grandmother used to make them. Must dig out the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ocado doesn't deliver to us peasants in my neck of the woods, or I would use them. I have done an online shop this week in order to cut down on stupid £30 daily trips but there was much eye-rolling and muttering when I ran out of beans last night. 'They're coming on Thursday' didn't appease my husband one bit....

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOh I adore and make loads Welshcakes delic:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to see your *Bakestone recipe, there are so many around that bear no relation to the real thing. Please?
    * Welsh Cake.

    I am enjoying reading your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in my recipe index at the top of the page. I hope it is authentic enough!

      Delete
  15. I am watching this challenge unfold in fascination and awe. I thought I was quite thrifty (Green and Blacks addiction aside!) but can see that I'm not half so thrifty as I thought. I've realised I've also fallen out of the habit of planning meals ... I work around what I know we have without really thinking in advance about using leftovers for instance. In my defence we rarely throw food away, if we don't eat it we do have 7 dogs!

    Will you just keep going with the challenge indefinitely Sue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure Annie. I'm beginning to run out of baking supplies and tinned stuff and I could do with some Green and Blacks too. We'll see.

      Delete
  16. Okay, here's the stupid Canadian with another dumb question (in my defence, we don't eat much fish here). What's a fish slice? (I'm getting quite the education from your blog.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fish slice is a turner. I rarely use mine for fish and it is never used for slicing fish but is very useful for flipping things in a frying pan. i hav enow boughtthis rather smart model for which I have high hopes.

      Delete
    2. The one second from left with the green handle ;)

      Delete
  17. I was about the ask the same question :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous2:04 pm BST

    Exactly what did you put in the beetroot, carrot and apple salad, please?
    Thanks,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just grated beetroot, carrot and apple with a little onion and dressed with vinaigrette.

      Delete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger