Random Deliciousness

Tuesday, 7 August 2012


Quite honestly I'm finding it a challenge to get any cooking, baking or housework done at the moment with all this olympic distraction going on. I did manage to cook a few tasty things last week though.


These are fried lamb, hummus and feta pittas. I had leftover roast lamb to use up. I fried it until crisp with some middle-eastern spices, some onion and a few sultanas. To make the pittas I simply spread warm pitta bread with hummus, then sprinkled on a layer of lamb, followed by a mash of feta, yogurt and mint. Finally I topped them with diced cucumber.


My currant harvest is being stored in my freezer.
I took some of them out and layered them in a bowl with sugar and let them defrost.


I enjoyed some with yogurt.


But they really came into their own when eaten with meringues and cream. The crisp sweetness of the meringue, the bland richness of the cream and the burst of sharp currants were the perfect ménage à trois.


 I found the recipe below on Pinterest. It is Sun Dried Tomato, Basil and Brie Spread from Pastry Affair.


A really ripe wedge of Brie, some sun dried tomatoes and a sprig of basil all mashed together.


Delicious.


The olympics continue to distract me. A thought occurs to me about the modern pentathlon, which is as I'm sure you know, a combination of running, shooting, swimming, riding and fencing. This is my thought; what if the competitors were to wear white shirts like this.



And tight breeches. Wouldn't that be lovely?

22 comments:

  1. MMMMMMMMMMMM on all accounts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granny Dot10:28 pm BST

    oooooooooooooo you are awful! But if those are meals you produce when distracted....my word!
    My offer still stands. I'll declutter and clean your cupboards (declutter under the beds even) if you do the cooking. Does your family realise that you are Gold Medal standard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be even better if the competitors looked like Colin Firth ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those lamb, hummus and tsatziki pittas have my mouth watering. Great tip for using up Sunday lunch leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your beaded cover is beautiful, and beautifully photographed. It would make a fine headpiece for the modern pentathlete to top off the wet white shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All this food looks so tasty ... and I still can't chew anything tougher than porridge or mashed potato. Sue, you're tormenting me. But I'll forgive you, given the lovely image of pentathletes in Mr Darcy shirts. They'd be good for the men's triathlon to, to be donned before the lake swim :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! Mr Darcy! What can I say? Thank goodness you've put some delicious recipes in to distract me... that sun-dried tomato, basil and Brie spread sounds like just the thing for watching the Olympics - maybe with a glass of cooled rosé wine?
    I love the beaded top on your bowl of mixed currants, it reminds me of my grandmother! Can you still find those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought mine from Lakeland a few years ago.

      Delete
  8. Now if you could just put your meringue picture next to Mr Darcy for me. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Naughty naughty! I have to laugh, the airwaves, emails, facebook and blogs are full of sly refernces to olympic (tight) clothing these days (not to mention people 'fessing up to having read 50 Shades, but let's not get into that!)

    Well Sue there is nothing up there in your post that I would not be proud to serve up on my table (no I don't mean mr Darcy. Oh, I don't know though.......)....I LOVE Eton Mess and the tart currants in place of strawbs sounds divine. And the lamb pittas....mmmmmm a definite one to try. Thanks ..yet again...for some brill ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very droll and all delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sue you have such good ideas, food wise and otherwise too. I think the Olympic committee is missing a trick not employing you as a fashion consultant. You would get my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such deliciousness all in one Blog post.......drool!!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hehehe...oh yes...you are so right and tickets would sell for £1000 each and Colin would give out the medals looking a little older, but just as yummy. I think you should write to the Olympic Committee, it's an idea of sheer genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your thinking. And an older Colin is no bad thing.

      Delete
  14. I think I'd also like to see Mr Darcy wearing the divers' tiny swim suits though!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8:15 pm BST

    Why would they need tight breeches? You obviously haven't looked what those cyclists are wearing - leaves nothing to the imagination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but the breeches would look better with the shirts don't you think? And I have looked at the cyclists.

      Delete
  16. Hmm. Reckon breeches outweigh lycra shorts any day. A girl likes to be able to use her imagination, and none needed with those cycling shorts! (good grief, didn't know where to look, who wants to see that?!)Think some sort of Tweet to Colin is needed, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  17. laughing out loud at the shirt and breeches image! love it!

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger