Sunday Kitchen

Sunday, 13 May 2012

Fed up with my blooming bluebells,( the replacements are in the ground by the way and not looking happy. At all) I turned as I often to do to food. Lovely sunny day food.

This delicious grilled chicken is a very slightly adapted version of a recipe in Nigel Slater's Real Food.
I cut a chicken breast per person into strips and marinated them in a mixture of fresh mint, garlic, red chillies, dried chilli flakes, lemon juice and olive oil. I left them in the marinade for about an hour and a half then grilled them on a ridged cast-iron griddle.


Delicious Grilled Chicken (adapted from Real Food by Nigel Slater)
For 5 people

5 skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips

Blend in a  food processor
2 big handfuls of fresh mint
4-5 cloves of garlic
juice of 2 lemons (or 3 limes)
2 red chillies, chopped
1 dessertspoonful of dried chilli flakes
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon salt

Pour over the chicken and leave for 1-2 hours.
Grill the chicken strips on a ridged griddle or under a hot grill, turning to ensure all sides are crusty and delicious.

This would be great with basil or coriander. Or, you could swap the herbs and chillies for spices, next time I make it I shall use smoked paprika.



And to follow, this lovely refreshing lemon curd ice cream. This was inspired by a recipe on the Ocado website for which I had all the ingredients -lemon curd, yogurt and cream but not the correct quantities. I went ahead and made it anyway using what I had.


Lemon Curd Ice Cream
Makes about 900ml - 12 scoops
Make a few hours ahead to allow for freezing.

200ml lemon curd (I used homemade, recipe here)
200ml double cream
500ml thick natural yogurt (I used homemade but bought Greek yogurt would be good here)
2 tablespoons of honey.

Whip the cream until if forms soft peaks, mix in the other ingredients and pour into an ice cream machine and churn until thick and frosty. Then transfer to the freezer to firm up.
If you don't have an ice cream maker pour it into a plastic or metal container and freeze. Take it out at hourly intervals to beat up the ice crystals.




18 comments:

  1. Pati from London8:41 pm BST

    I think Lemon curd is one of my favourite English inventions!! I just LOVE it! (especially the tiptree one). I've just discovered your post on how to make it (how could I have missed that??????). Ohh you've made my day! Pati x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious looking meal and I love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrummy meal - must give both of those recipes a whirl - they look like they really will evoke sunnier weather :)
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  4. They both look lovely, am definitely going to try them both. Have a lovely week, Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, Nigel never fails me when I'm stuck for a meal idea. This looks delish! Lemon curd ice cream - now THAT'S a new one on me , it sounds gorgeous - but not sure I could do all the faffing about beating every hour. Hmm I feel a quick check on amazon coming up........

    Hope your bluebells make a good recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clare from Leeds10:15 pm BST

    That is my absolutely favourite chicken recipe and brilliant for barbies!
    And to follow it with lemon curd ice-cream is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely sunshine recipes, I will look forward to trying especially the lemon curd icecream.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can do an even simpler lemon curd ice cream using one jar of lemon curd and a tub of creme fraiche. Mix them together and put in a loaf tin lined with cling film and freeze. Turn it out and call it lemon parfait! It's delicious ... the chicken sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sliced ice cream -like it. That would be lovely with a raspberry sauce.

      Delete
    2. Definitely!

      Delete
  9. Oh that looks so good! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lemon curd ice cream - delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh goodness, lemon curd ice cream ... two of my favourite foods combined!

    Hope the bluebells perk up :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Made the chicken tonight--it'll be my new go-to marinade! Thanks, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm inclined now to take my ice cream machine out of storage. Only this lemon curd ice cream, I feel, can save me from the lemon posset habit you started me on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Re the bluebells, gardening can be a bit like husbands. Not exactly what you ordered, but nice anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Sue,
    Well thank you for the foodie inspiration (again) - I made the chicken dish last night and it was yummy! Served with crushed minted peas and sweet potato chips! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crushed minted peas and sweet potato chips you say? They do sound good.

      Delete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger