Easy Flatbreads

Wednesday, 14 March 2012

We have been eating these flatbreads with our curries and spicy stews a lot recently. I think I prefer them to rice now. The dough is quick, easy and cheap to make. They cook really quickly although you have to do one at a time. All you need is flour, oil and water, and a little salt. You also need a non-stick frying pan. If you don't have one I suggest frying the breads in a little oil or butter.

To make about 14 breads each bout 15cm in diameter you need;
400g plain flour 
You can use wholemeal if you like or do as I did and substitute some of the white flour for wholemeal. I used 100 g wholemeal and 300g white.
4 tablespoons of oil
½ -1 teaspoon of salt -to taste
200 ml water

Mix it all together to make a dough and give it a quick knead on a work top so that it is smooth and pliable.
Now is a good time to heat up your frying pan. Set it to a medium heat and get on with the rolling. Pull off table-tennis sized lumps of dough, roll into a ball, flour the surface and roll out into thin discs about 15 cm in diameter. You can of course make them any size you like. It matters not one jot if they are not perfect circles.




Put a circle of dough on your frying pan and leave for a minute while you roll the next bread. You can roll out more than one bread but you will need to keep them on a floured cloth while they wait to be cooked or they will stick to the work top. I found it easiest never to have more than one bread waiting.

As you can see from the picture the bread will puff and bubble up in the pan. It does this very quickly -probably 30 secs to a 1 minute, if it doesn't then your heat is too low. Flip the bread over and you should see scorched patches, this is what you want. Cook the other side for another 30 secs or so.



I like to press it down and watch it inflate. I really enjoy cooking them, as I do pancakes and other griddle cakes. I love to watch the raw batters and doughs transform into something cooked and delicious.


In order to keep them soft and pliable you must wrap them in a cloth as soon as they are cooked.

Fantastic with curries, dals and hummus. If you keep them wrapped leftovers can be rolled around a favourite sandwich filling and popped in the lunchbox, or they could be used as a quick pizza base, or to make a toasted cheese sandwich quesadilla-style. They're also nice spread with jam and butter.

28 comments:

  1. Yet again the Queen of the Quince strikes again with scrummy food. Thank you and hope there is a bit of sun shining in your direction today. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound easy enough even for me! I shall be trying them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made them for ages but yes they are delicious and perfect with curry. Very cheap too! I eat a lot of pitta bread in the same way but actually these are nicer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree they are nicer than pittas, not so dry nd lovely and soft.

      Delete
  4. Just the kind of thing my hubby loves, thanks for sharing Sue :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last time I had these we were on a felucca on the Nile. The cook made them on a tiny stove and we sat cross legged on the boat using the bread to scoop up a simple bean stew. Guess what we're having for supper tonight now. Thanks for the reminder Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant - I shall be adding those to my ever-expanding list of Quince Tree recipes! I don't think I could cope with a curry without rice though, I'm a carb fiend and so have to have rice AND naan/flatbread etc

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made these in the past, but always seem to be left slaving over the Aga whilst everyone else eats ..... love the idea of wrapping them up to keep them soft! Made me feel like a domestic goddess the first time I did them! I had forgotten how easy and delicious they are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look really tasty, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for Sharing Sue, they look fabulously easy and equally yummy! I'll deifnitely be giving these a go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this recipe... so simple, yet so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh...snap, I posted about something very similar to this as part of my Frugal Friday series a few weeks ago! My recipe came from one of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's River Cottage books if I remember rightly. These breads are just so simple, and so cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sue,

    I really must mention that I saw in Tesco's a jar of Quince Jelly, 110g from £1.50

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that make a 1lb jar about £6.

      Delete
  13. Flatbreads - is that the trendy new name for Chappati's then - lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's the trendy new name for tortillas.

      Delete
  14. They look lovely & very do-able too...I think we'll be having curry over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look great, haven't made them for a while. thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with you on watching bread-based food cook on the stove surface - it's good to see bubbling and browning forming before your eyes as you hold back the hungry children. Thanks for the easy and tempting recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This has nothing to do with flat breads but felt I must leave a comment! I love reading your blog and your family antics often give me a good giggle - so similar to what goes on under my roof! But most exciting of all, on my walk the other afternoon I spied a beautifully laden quince tree in a neighbour's front yard in my part of southern Australia!! My heart did a flip and I resolved then and there that I must plant a quince tree as this particular specimen looked so happy!! Just have to wait for house renovations to be finished. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pati from London2:28 pm GMT

    thanks for sharing!! I have never thought about making these but I will, actually as they seem so easy. I've just bought some of these tortillas in Waitrose this morning as we are having Mexican style food tomorrow..... Wish I had read your post earlier... Will try soon, Pati x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't made them for a long time but they are very good. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We had curry for tea today especially so I could follow your recipe and make these flatbreads to accompany it - it turned out that I enjoyed the breads much more than the curry and these breads are so satisfying to make too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I found your blog through the Money Saving Expert Old Style forum and I am so glad I did. Your recipes are great and the photography...beautiful!
    I make flour tortillas a lot, they are so easy and cheap that I feel ripped off if I have to buy them. The home made ones are also much more filling than the shop bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Beth. Ripped off indeed especially when you consider tht the average bought tortilla contains all this; Wheat Flour, Water, Vegetable Oil, Dextrose, Raising Agents (Diphosphates, Sodium Bicarbonate, Calcium Phosphate), Salt, Humectant (Glycerine), Emulsifier (Mono and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Preservatives (Calcium Propionate, Sorbic Acid), Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum), Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid)

      Delete
    2. Why on earth you need raising agents in something that is flat is a mystery.

      Delete
  22. They look great and are perfect for curries and stews. Also like that they seem easy enough to make!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger