Leap Day

Wednesday, 29 February 2012

You know you are getting old when your children's teachers are younger than you. To be honest I passed that particular milestone about ten years ago, but 8 does seem very young to be an RE teacher. And that's not all, one of Katie's fellow year 7 students is just 3 today. Katie missed being 3 today by 17 days.
 Oh, the weirdness of leap day.

I discovered two things about leap day today which I didn't know.
1) People born on 29th February are known as leaplings. How cool is that?
2) Leap years are not every four years. Years which are divisible by 100 are not leap years unless they are also divisible by 400. 2000 was the last such year. This is because the earth takes a little less than 365 days and 6 hours to revolve around the sun (365 days,5 hours, 49 minutes and 16 seconds if you really want to know).


 March tomorrow and spring on its way, boy am I ready for it.
I hope you enjoy February's sampler.

15 comments:

  1. Did you know St Oswald is the saint for Leap Year? I learnt about him at school because I come from Essex and my school was at Benfleet, its all to do with the monastries before Henry the eighth thats all I remember!! I do remember is was a cold wet afternoon the class went for a walk to find out about him!
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did know that! But only because I was researching leap day this morning. Oswald was bishop of Worcester and died here whilst washing the feet of the poor (thank you Wikipedia),bad luck to have your feast day every four years.

      Delete
  2. Leaplings, love it.

    Even in a tiny pic that Bounty cake makes me feel hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Sampler, very cheery.

    I didn't know those things about Leap year, I do like to learn new things - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always such an education reading your blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today I heard of someone who is taking their Granny out to Celebrate Grannies 18th Birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am enjoying your sampler, thank you. I am so pleased February is over- it has been a very strange one this year. Wierd goings on. Perhaps it is the leapish thing, who knows? Just about ready to move on to March Madness...! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leaplings! You learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Learned a few new things from you today. Have a great March!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like saplings. very horticultural. Gorgeous sampler Sue and yes, it's March and the sun is out!! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure why I wrote saplings when I meant leaplings! Obviously the garden is on my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leaplings - love it - I know a surprising number of leaplings and shall inform them all of their title! I didn't know about the 100 year thing either - very interesting! Does that mean if you were born on 29th Feb 2000 you only get a brithday every 400 years??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but it does mean that if you are born on 29th Feb 2096 you won't celebrate your first birthday until 29th Feb 2104 because 2100 will not be a leap year.

      Delete
  12. This winter seems to have dragged on and on - is it my imagination? I've longed for signs of Spring this year and at last they're everywhere, catkins and daffodils, crocuses....And your sampler is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger