Fifteen

I forgot to buy cake candles. Rummaging in the depths of my baking cupboard I unearthed a motley collection of old candles. Crossing my fingers I counted them. Fifteen exactly. Lucky I had a boy with a fifteenth birthday to celebrate.



Tom requested a minty chocolate cake and Chinese food for his birthday dinner.
I bought a duck and flung it in the oven for five hours. Then I shredded it, heated some Chinese pancakes in the microwave, chopped a few spring onions and some cucumber and opened a jar of hoisin. Thank you Nigella (Nigella Express page 112).



I also made prawn toasts using this recipe. It was really easy but I skipped the deep frying and fried them in a frying pan in about half an inch of oil. They browned rather quickly but were incredibly good.



To complete the oriental theme Tom received a box of goodies from Japan Centre.
He now has an msg induced headache.



Comments

  1. mmmm that cake looks good, I could just do with a slice to perk me up!

    Happy birthday to Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Tom, the meal looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the assortment of candles. its our youngest daughter's birthday next month and I have bought some happy panda for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Tom :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Tom.

    I have a Tom, although mine is somewhat older than yours. I reckon he'd fancy a similar cake for his upcoming birthday though, that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The image of you flinging a duck in the oven sticks with me. Good grown-up choices there from Tom: very sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of flinging goes on in my kitchen.

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a delicious birthday dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that you cooked a duck for five hours and referred to it as 'express'. Am v. impressed however. Happy belated birthday to your boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long time to cook but no time to prepare.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday to your son, the cake looked particularly scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to Tom!
    What a great choice of meal. Mmmm. I might have to replicate it on my birthday (still a looooong time away)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky boy! What a yummy birthday supper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pati from London9:46 am GMT

    love the idea of an oriental themed dinner! Yum! x Pati

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday to Tom. What a fine feast you cooked up Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:56 am GMT

    Had to giggle Sue, because my son has a favourite chocolate cake with peppermint filling. I made it for his birthday last year - I hadn't done it for years - and his 3 year-old nephew took a bite of his slice and announced "It tastes like toothpaste."
    Hope Tom enjoyed his cake and birthday dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Many Happy Returns to him!

    That Box of Japanese goodies has me feeling all nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My younger daughter would have loved that birthday dinner. So would I, for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh Japan Centre I'm so glad people know about it! I used to work there when it was mostly a bookshop - I helped run the English books (about Japan) section - pre children days. Nowadays, it has the best and cheapest food in London and, boring people that we are, we always go for lunch there when ever we go up to London.

    Happy Birthday Tom - you have good taste.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment