Big Golden Chips

Thursday, 2 February 2012


I dislike deep frying so when I make chips for the family I bake them. Usually I cut unpeeled potatoes into wedges, toss them into a bowl, dribble a little olive oil and mix with my hands. Then I tip them onto a baking sheet and bake in a hot oven for about half an hour. Sometimes I add garlic and rosemary or some spices. They are much healthier this way as you can get away with a just a splash of oil. Sometimes though, the urge for big golden crunchy chips comes over us. When this happens I make roast chips. I make them exactly as I make roast potatoes, the only difference is the way they are cut.


Main crop spuds are best. These are Marfona which I buy in 20 kilo sacks for £4 from a farm shop.
I peel them and cut them into wedges -6-8 per potato.


Next I parboil them. This softens and roughs up the edges of the potatoes which is the key to good crunch.
Bring them to the boil  and let them boil for about 3-5 minutes.



While the potatoes are boiling heat up the oil in a roasting tin or a sturdy baking tray with a deepish rim. You need to coat the tins with oil but it doesn't need to be any deeper than about 2 mm at the most. Put the tins in a very hot oven, I set my fan oven to 200°c which is 220°c in a conventional oven. I made a lot of chips so I used both my roasting tins and a baking tray.


After the potatoes have had their 3-5 mins boiling drain them and then tip them back into the pot to dry off. Put the lid on and put the pot back on the hob over a low heat. Holding the lid on with oven gloves shake the pot vigorously over the heat. This dries the potatoes and scuffs up their edges.


Now carefully take the roasting tins out of the oven. Place the chips carefully in the tins. I used long-handled tongs for this but still managed to splash oil all over my jumper. Make sure each chip has its own space on the tray so that it gets its share of the oil. Turn them gently to coat with oil.
Put them back in the oven (don't alter the temperature) and leave them to bake for about 30 mins.


Surely everyone loves a big golden chip?


Well maybe not everyone.

19 comments:

  1. Ummm! You're making me hungry and I've already had my dinner :)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bugger. Have already got supper on the go. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, I might give it a go instead of reaching for the frozen oven chips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats nearly how I make our wedges, I don't heat the oil first, I will now though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your blog always makes me so hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yumm !! I make roasted chips but I'm not using enough oil.
    Those look amazing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yummy. I've seen a resurrection lately of those wonderful iron devices my mother used to have for cutting chips (are they called guillotines, I wonder, memory fading through the years?) and have been tempted to buy one, but I'm not willing to have a fryer in the house so have resisted. I may reconsider having read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, I'd love a bowl of these with lots of salt and vinegar right now (even though I've already had dinner). I'll have to try making both the healthy and naughty versions instead of frozen oven chips. Nice idea to use rosemary, garlic etc for extra flavour.
    Dan
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha that video clip was funny! My daughter doesn't like chips either. Not at all. Never ever has done, or mashed potato. I do potato slices the way you do wedges. Or sometimes chips the same way too. I'm not a huge fan of real chips just every now and again. I don't deep fry ever these days and I think I tried to make chips in a deep fryer about twice. A big fail. Not at all like my Mum's whose were fantastic.

    Hope you are feeling hail and hearty and back to normal again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy ... Sue you are so bad for my waistline ;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it wrong to be longing for chips at 7.45 in the morning? Your photos are the work of the devil Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are making mr hungery. I have a deep fat fryer but could not tell you when it was last used. I know I cleaned it out but never replaced the oil and have no urge to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will try your method tonight. All I did before was cut them into fat wedges, and lob them into goose fat, not hot either. I am sure your method will make a far superior chip, my teenage son may even approve, he gets frozen oven chips at his friends house and says they are much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I have never parboiled them. Because sometimes if I do parboil things, I go a bit too far.

      Delete
    2. I read somewhere that it is better to overdo the parboiling as it makes for a much crunchier potato.

      Delete
  14. Mmmmm...chips! We do ours the same way & it seems that however many you do it's never quite enough! I hope you've got the oil out of your jumper (I put bicarb straight on to absorb it asap or vinegar later on to break it up before the wash)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think so. Thanks for the tips though, I'm always getting grease on my clothes.

      Delete
  15. Mmmmm yum. I think I'll give these a try over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello there, a quick note from a fellow writer to say that I am really pleased to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger