Winter Weekend

Sunday, 15 January 2012

 At last it feels like winter.




The frost has remained on the ground in our little garden all weekend.


A single quince still clings to the tree.


After I took my photos I retreated to the warmth and comfort of my kitchen to cook some winter food.


Why not make a meal of mash?
I fried some onion slowly in butter until sweet and melting. Then I added a couple of cloves of crushed garlic.
It was all smelling very delicious. While this was happening I had a pan of potatoes on the boil -lots of potatoes. When they were cooked I drained them, dried them over a low heat and mashed them with butter and milk. Then I stirred in the onion and a heap of grated cheddar.


I spread it in a baking dish, scattered more cheese on top and put it in the oven to brown.
It was good.
Some crisply cooked bacon stirred into the mash would have made it really good.
Bacon makes most things better.


For supper this evening I made a simple chicken cobbler. I browned a chicken breast for each person in some butter and put them aside. Then I added a tub of my vegetable hash (a chopped onion would work just as well) and a clove of garlic to the pan. After a few minutes I added a tablespoonful of flour and stirred it into the oniony mixture. I added about 15 fl oz of chicken stock a little at a time stirring well with each addition to make a creamy sauce. Then I put the chicken back in the pan along with a couple of chopped carrots and some mushrooms. When it was all bubbling I sloshed in a slug of white wine and seasoned it before putting the lid on and putting it in the oven for half an hour at 180°c (160°c fan).

While it was in the oven I made the cobbler topping. I used an easy drop biscuit recipe which I often make with cheese to serve with soup.
Combine 9 oz plain flour, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 cup of grated cheese ( cheese is optional -fill an 8 fl oz measure to obtain a cup).
Rub in 2 oz of butter and then stir in 8 fl oz of milk. The mixture will be sticky.

When the chicken has had its half hour in the oven stir in a handful of frozen peas and a handful of sweetcorn then dollop spoonfuls of the cobbler dough onto the chicken stew and put back in the oven without the lid at 220°c (200°c fan) for about 15mins.

If you want to serve these drop biscuits dry then dollop them onto a greased baking tray and bake for 10-12 mins. They are so easy and so quick to make and just the thing for a wintry lunch with soup.





21 comments:

  1. At last some real winter weather! Your winter food looks lovely too, especially that crunchy topping...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photo of the rose is amazing!
    What can be better in the cold but your lovely warm comforting home cooked food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That rose is amazing. I always come away from reading your posts hungry and inspired to go make a good meal. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum, yum. all of our roses are gone but still have icy germanium.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks absolutely delicious.

    A school cook I knew used to make cheesy mash with roughly chopped hard-boiled eggs stirred through - she called it American Eggs, and we loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, your wintery food looks great as usual. Thanks for the easy instructions. Seems that you are finally getting some cold weather but at least Spring can't be too far away.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy inspiring food, have to try your cobbler :D
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just stumled across your blog while looking for some uk blogs, your post has made me want to dash to the kitchen, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that cobbler idea. I do a similar Bill Granger-inspired thing with polenta, but often the supermarket has run out of the stuff. I shall hold this idea in reserve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! That looks very similar to an Ina Garten recipe that I love...chicken stew topped with biscuits. Such warming food. Going to try yours next!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm absolutely loving the frosty days and nights. Your poor solo quince, looks like it has the mange. Why so I always end up hungry when I read your blog, even after I've eaten? I do like mashed potatoes that have been finished off in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks absolutely yummy!
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely pictures. Those deliciously comforting recipes are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the cheesy potatoes, I do something similar.

    Gorgeous photographs Sue, I love a nice frosted rose.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry Sue, half that comment disappeared. It originally said that I'd have to try your cheesy potato recipe as it sounds much nicer than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful frosty photos - that rose is amazing. Delicious looking comfort food too - keep meaning to say how great it is that you have put up all your recipes. I made the doughnut/muffins a few weeks back and the girls were beside themselves, and keep mentioning them in wistful tones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my that food looks so delicious, perfect for a chilly winters day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely winter comfort food. Added to next weeks menu plan :)

    Thanks, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. We were on the same track....I was prancing around outside the other morning taking frozen flower photos! Lovely post....and yes, I often eat mash as a meal!
    My blog has moved by the way...from blogger to Wordpress here:
    http://www.lavenderandlovage.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Winter food for the winter weather! It couldn't be more fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have to tell you have made the chicken cobbler tonight. First time I had done it. Very successful. All house are surprised by my new-found cooking genius. Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger