Getting My Veg

Thursday, 13 October 2011

Soy Roasted Almonds

These deeply savoury nuts are loved by everyone in my house.
Other nuts can be used, as can seeds, but I think almonds are the best.*




Throw almonds on a baking sheet, as many as you like.
Roast the nuts for 15 -20 mins at 180°c (160°c for a fan oven).


As soon as they come out of the oven splash over some soy sauce. Use a good one like Kikkoman which is naturally brewed and contains no additives.
You don't want to drench the nuts but you do need to splash on enough soy to give them a decent coating.
Stir the nuts around, the hot nuts will absorb the soy sauce.
Leave them to cool.
If they still seem wet use paper towels to mop up the excess sauce.


Store in an airtight container.

*I buy my nuts in bulk from Goodness Direct because they are considerably cheaper that way and I use them regularly in my granola recipe. You can store them in the freezer to keep them fresh if you don't get through them quickly.

Cauliflower and Broccoli Cheese Soup


This unappetising bowl of leftovers is cheese sauce with broccoli and bacon which we ate as a baked potato filling a couple of days ago.
The cauliflower I bought this week was destined to become soup for me. No one else likes it.
I put the two together to make cauliflower and broccoli cheese soup.
Simply done - an onion chopped and cooked gently in butter, a small cauliflower, chopped and added to the pan. About half a pint of chicken stock (water would do) was added along with the leftover broccoli cheese.
Simmered until the cauli was soft, blended, a little milk added to loosen it a touch and my  lunch was ready.
I followed it with a piece of cake.


Carrot-Apple-Walnut Cake

I am pleased with this cake; it has turned out exactly as I had hoped. I wanted one of those moist wholesome cakes. The kind you kid yourself into believing are healthy. You did know that carrot cake is one of your five a day didn't you? Well this cake has carrots, apples and nuts. Three of your five a day. Eat two pieces and you're done. 

10 oz self-raising flour*
12 oz demerara sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
4 oz chopped walnuts
1 large cooking apple or 2 eating apples
3 medium carrots (about 10 oz in weight)
10 oz butter (I like salted)
4 eggs

Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, spice and nuts in a mixing bowl.

Melt the butter in a small pan over a low heat.

While that is happening peel and grate the apple and carrots
Add these to the bowl.
Use your hands to mix all the dry ingredients with the apple and carrot.

Beat the eggs in a small bowl and add them to the mixing bowl.
Mix well  before adding the melted butter.

Make sure everything is well mixed before pouring it all into a greased and lined  tray-bake tin about 12'' x 9''.
Bake for 50-60 mins at 180°c (160°c for a fan oven).
When cool cut into 16 or 20 pieces depending how big you want them.

*Next time I will try wholemeal self-raising. I think it will suit the wholesome character of the cake. 


Almonds, walnuts, broccoli, cauliflower, onion, carrot and apple, oh and damson yogurt for breakfast. I'm doing really well on the fruit and veg front today and it's only quarter past three.

20 comments:

  1. Your recipes are amazing, I would never have thought of broccoli, bacon and cheese sauce for a filling in baked potato. Love the soup idea and the savoury almonds too. I shall say nothing about the cake because I rarely bake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing Goodness Direct - how can I not have heard of them before? They're fab!

    Neither of my children like cauliflower, much to my disappointment because I love it. I keep trying to convince them to love it and failing. So cauliflower also gets turned into lunch for me (and G). I usually curry it, with some red lentils.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to find an actual carrot cake recipe that doesn't use oil. (I always change the recipe to use butter)
    Definitely going to try the soup too.
    Thank you for the recipes
    Julie xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum to all three, especially the nuts, must buy some almonds post haste!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just off to do those nuts. This is how my day is shaped by blogs. I appear to be knitting socks now because Pomona said it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I didn't have to wait till the shops open tomorrow to make the nuts.

    That sort of moist cake with fruit in, I find they work really well if you substitute an equal weight of oatflakes for about 2-3 oz of the flour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that is a good idea Mise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need some of that cake NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I freeze most things, but had no idea you could freeze nuts. Thank you so much for that, I'll save a fortune bulk buying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nuts in the freezer? Clever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nuts in the freezer can be used straight from it. Those almonds were.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to do the savoury almonds and will follow up Goodness Direct. With a name like that it's hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Your recommendation of Goodness Direct has come at the most perfect time as I want to try some nut nibble recipes from the new Bill Granger book - and your almond recipe too! I'm placing my order now, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sue,
    Brilliant recipes. I am definately giong to have a go with the carrot & apple cake. I love your recipes.
    Love Carole from Rossendale xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. That cake looks delicious :D I love cauliflower soup too, but always add a sprinkling of nutmeg to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That cake looks yummy - but does it really have 10 ozs of butter in it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, it really does have 10 oz butter in it. You could use vegetable oil instead but butter tastes nicer and is a natural ingredient. Or you could make something else.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This weekend, I tried out your recipe for Apple, Carrot and Walnut cake. I didn't have walnuts, so added a handful of raisins and put less sugar. The recipe was absolutely scrumtious! We ate it still slightly warm from the oven. This recipe will become one of my favourites and is so easy to do.

    I made the Florentine biscuits too at Christmas - with ginger, almonds and dark chocolate. They were out of this world! I also put on 2 kg over Christmas! Now I wonder why that would be?!

    Thank you for sharing your lovely recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this cake today and used half wholemeal flour....absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like dit Niki, I must say it's a while since I made it, must remedy that as it is good.

      Delete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger