Random Deliciousness

'There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.'*
The rain has been 'so penetrating' today that I have been unable to take my walk. It is showing no sign of stopping. A shame because I have established a walking habit managing to get my 10 000 steps in every day and feeling great as a result. I was going to show you the honeysuckle that is flowering in the hedgerows making my walks very fragrant.
Never mind I have food to show you instead. 

Below is a salad of feta cheese, broad beans, soya beans and peas with a minty dressing.


This is  a chicken cashew lettuce wrap with added mushrooms.
Particularly good with crunchy romaine lettuce.

Next we have Chocolate Orange loaf cake from Nigella Lawson's Kitchen. This cake was so good I made three. It has a fabulous texture, damp but light and incredibly moreish. I think it was better than the Devil's Food Cake I made last week.




Strawberry ice cream.
A bit improvised this one. A pound of sliced strawberries, about 12 oz sugar, 8 fl oz double cream and the same of yogurt all blended in the food processor. I poured it into my ice cream maker and churned it until firmish and then put it in the freezer. I had to do it in two batches, luckily I have a spare bowl for my machine but you could easily make half this quantity.

This is a lunchbox salad I made this morning for the next few days' lunches. 
Risoni pasta, lentils, crisp bacon, tomatoes and cucumber with a pesto-like dressing made from sun-dried tomatoes, parmesan, garlic, basil and olive oil.



For lunch today I made smoked salmon paté. I used smoked salmon trimmings (about 100g), half a tub of cream cheese (150g), a dollop of yogurt, some lemon juice and black pepper.
Lovely on oatcakes.

Let's hope the weather is better tomorrow.

* The opening line of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, but you knew that :o)

Comments

  1. Your children must be the envy of the lunch room! All looks delicious but especially the pate, the bean salad, that cake, the school salad and the ice cream. Is that everything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your food looks lovely as always. It also sounds as if walking is the way to good health

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sue you do make me hungry!!! Delicious.
    Love Tickety-boo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am stuck in too, raining hard here, husband has gone to visit his mother as she is unwell, and given that I too have been poorly recently, we didn't want to cross breed any more germs.

    Fed up, so decided to bake, made a couple of trays of buns and a Caroline's Carrot Cake (Delia) and I was feeling so pleased with myself until I saw your array of ultra delicious goodies.

    I now have a passion for soy beans, so that salad looks wonderful, but then I have always loved salmon, as for the ice cream - homemade you say - just a BIT tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All i can say is YUM! your kitchen must smell like a dream
    I can see the rain out of my window, looks like it is set for he rest of the day for sure
    j x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to try the ice cream! It looks FAB!! I think I am developing a 'check the Quince Tree" habit, before I plan my weekly shop! Jude x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're always so organised with your cooking.

    My other half would love that chocolate orange cake - perhaps I'll bake one for him for Father's Day :0)

    The rain has been pouring it down all day here too - I was desperate to get into the garden and do a bit of tidying up as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your food always looks amazing! You are definitely my kitchen inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. im hungry now! its look delicious, its raining here to in north wales but that is nothing new!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOH too much yummy food, delicious, perfect sunday eating
    Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, that pedometer thing is just so addictive, isn't it? I was obsessed a few years ago- kept just walking in circles in the kitchen in order to keep the numbers up - worked wonders on the waist line though. And the rain,oh god the rain! Bristol is such a rainy place at the best of times, today it has felt like October rather than June - just what is going on!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary ,East Coventry USA9:15 pm BST

    You are an inspiration! Hope your family appreciates all this wonderful food. I know I would.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness me. Yumm yumm yumm. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy food and glorious photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So what times lunch???
    I can't remember if I mentioned that I bought some Elderflower cordial, it is so nice, somewhere on someones blog they have a cake receipe drizzled with Elderflower cordial, must find, must make.
    x Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  16. That all look's so good all could eat it all. I think I will make the chocolate cake, will let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, and I've just had my breakfast...could eat some of that wrap..
    We use alot of 'pasta rice' here, it's lovely when used to stuff tomatoes, peppers, courgettes etc. I also use it when I've slow-cooked meat or vegetables, stir some in near the end, makes a risotto-type meal..yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pati from London7:19 am BST

    yum, yum, yum!!! x Pati

    ReplyDelete
  19. When I need some cooking inspiration I visit your blog. The only trouble is then I wasnt to go and cook and eat nice things and I've already done too much of that! Your photography of food is fantastic BTW.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really need to proofread before I click on publish !! I mean to say that I WANT to go and ....
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I want to come and live with you! Your food looks wonderful. I have made the Nigella cake before and it's remained one of my favourites. M x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good job I'm actually eating my dinner as I read this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That lunchbox salad does look good. I've not managed the knack of making ahead for a few days - the last pasta salad I made ahead was a bit sad even after a day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that you had to make three more cakes because it was so moreish!! It all looks so scrummy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Everything looks really good ! And thanks for the quote and who it's from, I haven't brushed up on my English litterature for a while now...

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG, I'm sitting here at the pc having my two lunchtime Ryvita's and a cup of coffee and now all I want is Nigella's chocolate cake.
    I have the book I but haven't made one.........yet. Now I most certainly will.
    I only just bought a jar of chocolate spread because I HAVE to make some Nutella cakes you showed a few posts back. This blog is a danger to my waistline!!!!!!!
    I do love looking at all the yummy things from your kitchen.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  27. could you post the recipe for the chocolate orange cake please i dont have nigellas book where would i get that tiny pasta from that looks delish.carole

    ReplyDelete
  28. Google is your friend. Type in 'nigella chocolate orange loaf' and the first hit will provide the recipe.

    I buy risoni pasta from Waitrose but any small pasta will do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment