Rainbow Cake

Thursday, 17 March 2011

Today is my daughter's 11th birthday. Time to make a cake.
Something like this from One Charming Party.
My first thought on stumbling across this cake was not 'gosh my daughter will love that' but 'wow, what a great blog post that would make'. I showed the pictures to my daughter and she said it was a cool cake and that I should definitely take photos of it and put it on my blog. So, there you go, two birds and all that.
I made the cakes last week and put them in the freezer as recommended by the One Charming Party folks.


I made 8 layers. Two at a time using 7 inch sandwich tins. I used a two egg sponge mixture (four times) hoping that it would produce thin layers. 

2 eggs
4 oz self-raising flour
4 oz butter
4 oz caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder

I divided the the batter in two and coloured each half. My box of colours did not let me down.
The cakes  emerged from the oven all looking  a rather unappetising  khaki. I could see, though, that this was just the outside, the crumb looked much more vivid. 

This morning I made a large batch of vanilla buttercream.

18 oz icing sugar
9 oz soft butter
3 tablespoons of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.




I removed the cakes from the freezer and stacked them one by one spreading buttercream between the layers. I took several pictures all of which are terrible. This one is the least terrible.


The stack of cakes was considerably taller than the one at One Charming Party. I thought my layers were thin enough, but evidently not. I tried trimming a couple of the thickest cakes. Now the cake was leaning. I toyed briefly with the idea of turning it into a Leaning Tower of Pisa cake, we were having pizza for dinner after all, there was a theme....
I'd used up my entire batch of icing. Another batch later and the cake was covered. I went for a textured effect rather than a smooth finish. For obvious reasons.


I had to remove a shelf from the fridge.


 Taking photos of food under electric lights isn't ideal. The cake looked much more spectacular in real life. 
Astonishment and applause all round. 
We divided each slice into two, we aren't that greedy. Not quite.






The cake was good but I'd much rather eat the chocolate and apricot cake in my previous post any day.

One more edible spectacle in the shape of lollies brought by my sister-in-law who has a talent for finding unusual and original gifts.


Yup, scorpions in lollies. Younger son and daughter have eaten all of theirs. Elder son won't eat his because it is banana flavoured and he doesn't like bananas. He's quite happy to eat the scorpion, but bananas: no way.

36 comments:

  1. Wow Sue!!!!
    and it's my birthday soon if you're offering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, that cake is SPEC-TAC-U-LAR! Lucky girl and *H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* to her!

    Lucky family!

    Hugs from Oregon, USA -- Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:30 pm GMT

    Hi Sue,

    How brilliant is that, really well done.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake looked spectacular, and I'm with your son on the bananas.........tell him he will go through life turning down, banana cake, banana smoothies and banana muffins.......I have know idea why people put the dreaded banana in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow wow wow wow woweeeeeeeee!!! That does look AMAZING!!!!! I wonder if you could do different flavours in it like lemon and errr... not sure what other flavours would work.. hhmmmmm maybe orange... coconut. I want one. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - the cake looks pretty darned spectacular under electric lights to me! I've seen cakes similar to this before but never one with so many layers - so cool!

    Happy Birthday to your littlest-but-quite-big-now girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cake is fabulous!!

    It's my daughters birthday in June, she will be four and is always talking about what cake she wants me to make her, she may well love this as she is always drawing rainbows:)

    If I make it, I will take heed and try to keep my layers thin. I will post results in June..

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks spectacular and is ideal for a child's cake but I'm with you in the taste department.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cake :)

    Oh and what a tidy fridge!!

    Happy birthday to your daughter xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my goodness Sue that is dedication above and beyond the call of motherhood! What a beautiful cake, it's totaly fab Just like something Lewis Carol should have put on the table at The Mad Hatters Tea Party. Can't wait to show the littlies in the morning...........then again if I do I'll end up having to make one for middle littlie in August the day before we go on holiday.....so maybe I won't!
    Happy Birthday to your daughter.
    Love Tickety-boo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing! Real wow factor.
    I'd have the banana lolly but pass on the scorpion.
    Happy Birthday to your daughter.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That cake is spectacular, but I am even more impressed by your fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the cake ...and wish my fridge looked like that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday to your daughter, the cake is amazing, the colors certainly did not look the same on the outside. Not real scorpions in the lollies I hope!!
    x Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great cake, love your son's attitude to banana flavour, and gee you've got a really clean fridge! :)
    Caz from Never Knew

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Sue, what a stunning rainbow cake, your dedication to motherhood and blogging is v impressive. Birthday wishes to the birthday girl, I'm off to clean my fridge x

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW!!!! That cake is amazing...beautiful....stunning! Clever you! And happy birthday to your big girl x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful idea and beautifully executed by you as ever.

    I loved your last minute rescue plan.

    Plus am also well impressed with neat and tidy fridge. That takes some doing with a family.

    Happy Birthday to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic cake! Though, like Mary, I'm pretty impressed by the state of your fridge. I don't think I'd dare post pictures of the inside of my fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks fabulous.....but I think I'd rather go for the chocolate and apricot below!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My mouth is hanging open here. I LOVE IT! I'm turning 28 on April 4th, is it wrong that I want to make myself one of these?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Please don't tell me your fridge always looks like that?
    L.x.
    PS Cake looks lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just gorgeous. I'm hoping my soon to be 14 year old daughter isn't too old for this cake as I'd like to give it a try.

    Your fridge is too tidy, though!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cor, that cake! It's stupendous, what a feat of bakery it is. Happy Birthday to your girl.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is one amazing cake!!! I now really want to have a go at making one myself but I think it would be a bit ridiculous for John's first birthday - the cake would probably be bigger than him!

    Hope your daughter had a wonderful day, Helen.x

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful memory to make. I can't believe all the care and love you went to. Hope the celebrations were just a cheeful and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pati from London2:03 pm GMT

    Dear Sue, WOW! What can I say! I'd never seen a rainbow cake like that before and the idea is just brilliant!! Gorgeous and unforgetable!! I think you must have made your little princess very happy. Happy Birthday to her!! Have a lovely weekend! x Pati

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome! The cake too, but mainly, the tidy and minimalist nature of your fridge!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. And Happy Birthday!! So blinded with fridge gleam that I forgot my manners...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sandi, they are real scorpions :o)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Scorpions - eeeuugggh!

    Rainbow cake though - delicious missus and very easy on the eye as well.

    Have a lovely weekend,

    Nina xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm not sure what I'm more impressed by - the cake or how clean the inside of your fridge is!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Utterly brilliant, whilst equally yuktastic, love it! I am amused by your comments about things being a "good blog post" mine's only a baby and a neglected one this week because of fine weather and lots to do. However, my blogging neighbour and I often say "there's a blog post in that" while going about our daily stuff. Hope your daughter had a lovely one. x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, what a cool cake! :) I might use this idea for my son's 16th this year - he will love it. Thank you, Pj x

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is brilliant! I sooo want to do this for my little one's next b-day. I'm going to need some good food colours though. Sx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger