The Quince Tree in February

Friday, 25 February 2011

Today is Quince Tree day.
 I wish it had been yesterday when the sun was shining but never mind.
The Quince Tree has had a bit of a haircut today. Probably much too late but never mind that either. A branch has been taken off which, I hope, will mean less quinces in October.
One can have too much of a good thing.


Once the branch had been cut I was able to get some close-ups of the buds.





So many other things budding too.



Flowering currant



Some sort of shrub -dogwood?


Blackcurrant




Today is also our wedding anniversary. 16 years.
Charlie had the day off so that we could go out to lunch. We had forgotten that it would be half-term so the children came with us. We did enjoy ourselves. My lunch was delicious - beef and oyster pie followed by crème brulée.

Afterwards we went to say hello to the pigs.





Gloucester Old Spots I think. They were very friendly, fairly galloping across their little mud patch to see what we had brought them. We hadn't brought them anything but they didn't seem to mind. When we go back for my birthday in December they may well be on the menu. The pub, The Talbot in Knightwick  produces most of its food including beer, fruit vodkas and fruit jellies. Elder son's lunch, a pork and game raised pie came with a little pot of sauce. I tasted it -quince. The waitress was surprised that we recognised the taste, 'I have a quince tree you see' I said.

25 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! So nice to see spring really is just around the corner.

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think pigs look delicious - and these look particularly tasty. Whenever I visit the pigs at St Werburgh's farm all I can think of is how nice they'll taste, especially the piglets. That's not very nice of me is it? But good to have confessed. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos Sue. A very Happy Anniversary, 16 years, you are practically newlyweds!

    Oh those piggies. I love to see them rooting around, I think how could I eat you. Then I think of roast pork and apple sauce and bacon, and the moment passes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha funny. Happy anniversary. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gloucester Old Spot - very fine!! Happy Anniversary. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:12 pm GMT

    Hi Sue,

    I was hoping there would be a Quince Tree blog today. Happy Anniversary to both of you.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pics - Spring really is on its way, isn't it?! Happy Anniversary - sounds a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary to you both :O)x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary! I'm glad you had a lovely day, x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:13 pm GMT

    The tree looks good. Who ever pruned it did a good job. Glad you had a nice day. ME

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary! Your little comment at the end about being able to taste the quince in his pie made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Anniversary! Bit belated - I'm catching up on my reading - loved your frugal pleasures post too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations to you both and wishing you many more happy days.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My MIL has a quince tree. I heard that the bloom should nt be washed off them before processing I wonder if that is true.
    I notice Nigella has a receipt for Quince brandy.
    Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lizzie, yes you need to wash the bloom off first. If you are interested in quinces check out my posts in October.

    Thank you for all the anniversary wishes everyone :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I missed the anniversary but glad to hear that you had a good day.

    Love those pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How can you bear to think those lovely pigs will be on the menu?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Because I like eating meat and I'm not sentimental about animals.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy anniversary for yesterday..it was my 11th back on the 5th and we went out to lunch and our son accompanied us too. Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Anniversary to you both. Great photos of the piggies. Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm a new visitor and convert to your lovely blog. Must disagree that one can have too many quinces. That's impossible. Have you tried the Quince Rataffia in Jane Grigson's book Good Things? I've been making it for years (though I'm American!) Also, quince jam I could eat straight out of the jar. The list goes on. I can't wait for my baby quince to be old enough to make fruit. I'm getting impatient.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Deb, welcome and thank you for reading. I do make quince vodka which is the same thing as ratafia. I make quince jelly, quince chutney, quince cheese, quince pickle, quince tarte tatin, quince cake and many other things. Check out my October posts for details.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Anniversary to you both
    ;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger