Almond Crunch Bars

Monday, 6 December 2010


A heavy frost and freezing fog have turned my world white. All the beauty of snow without the inconvenience of being unable to get around. Well, at least for today anyway.

Ever since I bought Kitchen by Nigella Lawson in September I have been longing to make her Sweet and Salty Crunch Nut Bars (page 310). Chocolate, salted peanuts and Crunchie bars. As Nigella says 'what's not to like?' Well peanuts for a start, you may remember that my daughter is allergic to them. But there are other salted nuts, almonds for instance.
I have resisted this recipe for three months knowing that if I made it I would eat the lot while the children were at school. Today I gave in. It was always going to happen.

Over a gentle heat melt 100g of milk chocolate, 200g of plain chocolate, 125 g butter and 3 tablespoons of golden syrup. Yes, golden syrup again, where would I be without that stuff ?- a lot thinner I suspect.

 For those of you who are not in the UK these are Crunchie bars. They've been around for donkeys' years. I used to love them when I was a kid. They are a honeycomb bar covered in chocolate.

When you bite into them you can actually feel your teeth dissolving.


You need four Crunchie bars. Break them up and add to 250g of salted almonds (or peanuts).


Mix in the melted chocolate mixture. Pour into a large cake tin or traybake tin lined with foil or reusable baking parchment. Refrigerate for about four hours.


Cut into pieces.

 We ate it as a dessert rather than a snack. My daughter refused to try it convinced that Crunchie bars contained peanuts. Nothing would persuade her otherwise. She opted for clementines while the rest of us stuffed our faces with almond crunch bars until we couldn't move. Yes, they were nice, but you know what? - a couple of clementines would have been just as pleasurable, much less sickly and far more sensible. No wonder my daughter is so slim. I don't think I'll be making them again. I think I have quenched that particular desire. But please go ahead and indulge all you like :o)



14 comments:

  1. Just as I was reading this I was thinking "God Crunchies really make your teeth hurt (fingernails on a blackboard kind of hurt) just from eating them" and you write about dissolving teeth! That made me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh, it does look amazing, but yes it must be soooo sweet, there's something about the chocolate on crunchies that is tooooo sickly x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:51 pm GMT

    Those look like a cross between a Butterfinger and a Whatchamacallit bar, here in the U.S. Either way, it's all good baby!

    ps...Nigella Rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm. You are a bad lady Mrs Quince. Now all I want to do is eat sweet stuff and on my first day free (Thursday) I'll be making some of these and probably be eating most of it.

    Love your white world. Quite a contrast to the brownland in your kitchen... Ax

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good grief. Look at that tree. How beautiful.

    I need an almond crunch bar right now, I can tell you. Ah well, a spot of wine will do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crunchies always remind me of learning to drive! My dad used to take me out for lessons and somehow it became a tradition that we would always stop somewhere and get a crunchie!

    I'm not a chocolate person usually, but every so often I have a period of chocolate craving. This recipe may very well lead to one of those times! I'm so glad you shared it, it looks delicious, though I suspect that like you, trying it once might quench the desire!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my daughter will Love these - she's a chocaholic :-)
    I might just have to have a leettle taste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue - I am so sorry! I missed your birthday post. Happy Belated Wishes for your special day. Love your beautiful necklace -and snow too - you lucky thing!

    Thanks for the guide to mosaics, hopefully get around to that over Christmas.

    Thanks and many happy returns again.
    Stephx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't remember the last time I ate a crunchy bar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooooo Sue they do sound yummy, and yes rather sweet!!. Mind you i have made her Rocky Road from her Express Cook Book and they are less sweet. I usually make some at this time of year & dust the top with icing, then a sprinkling of edible glitter. It looks like glistening snow:-)
    If you want the recipe let me know.
    Love Carole from Rossendale xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like the sort of thing you really can't resist, then wish you'd only got one tiny piece! Baklava is the other thing which has that effect on me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too have been resisting make this because I know I'll eat the lot myself - it's something about that sweet/salty combination that's so irresistible.
    Beautiful photograph of the heavy frost.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello. I watched Nigella make this on her TV programme and thought there was no point in me making it because it would probably be very sweet and sickly and I would only manage a small piece at a time, and as there's only two of us I didn't want to waste the majority by throwing it away (and everyone else I know is on a pre-festive diet!). You have given me a Crunchie craving though; it was one of my favourite sweets as a child. Love your blog, I'm a frequent visitor but I don't think I've commented before. Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh these look amazing - I'll have to find something to substitute it with here in Switzerland!

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger