Legacy Pudding

Sunday, 14 November 2010


One of my oldest friends came to visit yesterday with her family. I've known her all my life. Her dad is my dad's oldest friend and her gran was my gran's best friend (their ashes are scattered in the same spot). We are practically family, so I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to make this pudding.


Pineapple Pudding


This was my grandmother's recipe. Made from tinned pineapple covered with a sweet white sauce enriched by egg yolks and topped with meringue. It was my dad's favourite pudding when he was a child. She used to make it for us regularly and my mum also made it. But it has been many years since I last ate it and when my gran died in August at the age of nearly 102 I made sure I got the recipe. 
After consulting with an expert (my mum) in order to fill in some of the sketchier details of gran's recipe- 'put in the oven to set' -how long for, what temperature? I was ready to tackle the pud. 

Gran's Pineapple Pudding

Ingredients

1 tin (425g) of pineapple chunks/rings.
2 oz butter
2 oz flour 
15 fl oz milk
1½ oz sugar
2 eggs separated
3 oz caster sugar

1) Cut pineapple up if in rings and put in the bottom of a dish with a little of the juice.

2) Melt the butter in a saucepan letting it brown slightly. Add the flour and stir well.

3) Stir in the milk and cook for 5 mins stirring all the time while it thickens.

4) Take off the heat and stir in the 1½ oz of sugar plus a tablespoon or two of the juice.

5) When it has cooled a little beat in the egg yolks.

6) Pour over the pineapple and put the dish in the oven for 35 mins at 160°C/140°C fan oven. 

7) Make the meringue - beat the egg whites until they are stiff (you should be able to turn the bowl upside down without them falling out)
Add the 3 oz sugar a spoonful at a time beating well with each addition. The mixture should be shiny.

8) Spread the meringue over the pudding and put back in the oven at the same temperature for about 20 mins. Keep an eye on it in case it burns.

It can be made ahead. If you want to warm it up do so in a very low oven or the underneath bit will become too solid. Gran's pineapple puds were always slightly runny in the middle.

It was delicious. I passed on the recipe to my friend who says she will make it for her dad. Judging by my children's enthusiastic response it is set to enjoy a revival.

What about you? Do you have a legacy recipe in your family?





My elder son who is an air cadet, took part in a Remembrance Day parade this morning. I'm always struck by how well attended this event is despite the inevitable cold and dampness that accompanies it.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.




26 comments:

  1. Love the new look! I need to sort mine out but truth be told I don't know how. Pudding looks so yummy. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe looks absolutely yummy
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also loving the new layout and header, looks great!

    I'm afraid we don't have any legacy recipes in my family, nobody was that much into cooking from scratch. I think I will have to leave my own. Pudding looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FUNKY. I too love your new header.

    Also very keen to try Legacy Pudding but I know that I will never get around to copying the recipe and then making it.

    We have a bit of a family recipe called sausage-in-the-oven-dinner. Not at all glamorous but very tasty.

    Have a great week, Ax

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have often mourned the fact that we lost granny's Christmas cake recipe, scrawled on a yellowing scrap of paper and brought out every year - until it vanished. Were those cakes really better than any others we have eaten since? (Especially as granny couldn't cook to save her life. Wonder where she got the recipe from?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Using a recipe that's been handed down through the family is just the same as inheriting an embroidered tablecloth in my opinion. I have a gingerbread recipe that goes way back, plus a great pecan pie that my mother brought back from America in the 1960's, swearing to the giver that she would never tell! Your pud looks so delicious and appealing, and you are very generous to be sharing the recipe with us.

    Your new look blog is very stylish indeed xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:15 pm GMT

    That pudding loves yummy will be trying that. Sadly no handed down family recipes here. But your chocolate pudding has become one of our family's favourites with our eldest daughter even making it for friends at uni.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks absolutely delicious ! I will definitely have to try that ! I would never have thought to try a kind of b├ęchamel for desserts... and a variation with other fruit might be interesting, or is it the pineapple that makes it particular ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. For nostalgia it has to be paineapple, but it did occur to me that a tin of peaches would make a nice variation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must try that pudding, I've not come across it before, but it sounds absolutely delicious. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:16 pm GMT

    It sounds a wonderful pudding, I hope your Grandma would be thrilled we can now all share this recipe on the www :-) ...sadly I have no Granny recipes but use my dear Grandma's bread knife every day. It's not very grand but it must be at least 80 years old and to me it's priceless.
    I haven't read all your older posts yet but I'm guessing, like me you have the lovely 'Good Things In England' Persephone?
    Best Wishes, Bee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did you know Bee? I certainly do have that book but haven't cooked from it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sue, love the new look or your blog. I think it's important to "shake it up" a bit with the design. My mom was a brilliant cook and was known far and wide for her homemade pies and cinnamon rolls. I made her tell me how she made her homemade puddings and cream pie filling - so I saved it for the family. Here in the US the word "pudding" is only used for cooked custard and isn't a word used for all "desserts" which is what we call the goodie at the end of a meal. I've loved learning the difference of what you all call things and what we call them. Here, a "flapjack" is a pancake - there it's a oat baked dessert. fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog looks great! The pudding looks yummy. My parents and grandparents weren't big on traditions. I'm hoping to begin my own traditions for my children and their children and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The look is very clean and I love your photo at the top. Will have to try that pud.
    Hugs Sandi xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sue,

    Thanks for the recipe it looks great.
    I will try it out this week and let you know how it turned out.
    Your idea of using peaches is a good one too, although I'll try the pineapple first.
    My Nanny always made rock cakes, I never did get her recipe for them.
    But I've been looking online and who knows may be I'll try to make them.
    I love the new look blog by the way.

    Best wishes

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hooked and stashing9:29 am GMT

    Hi Sue, loving your new look, especially the fab header. Recipe sounds good, will try it sometime. Great blogging, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. yes yes yes love the new blog layout!!! It's per-fect!!! :-)
    unfortunately, I don't really have a legacy recipe as such, but I'm sure trying to make some for future generations ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. loving the new look, loving the look of the pud too, shame ww will not allow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the new look. I may be brave and have a bit of a fiddle around myself as I'm not completely satified with mine.
    The pineapple dessert looks interesting and I will certainly make a note of the recipe to try but why is it that I find all these recipes I want to try out when I've just started to try to lose weight ?
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Sue - I'm loving your new look blog, and I'm so happy that we'll get to see you fab photos in a larger format.
    Please forgive me, but I'm gonna have to steal this recipe. I think I've already mentioned to you that my family legacy is a meringue, with raspberries and cream. Pineapple is one of my favourite fruits, so I know I'm gonna absolutely adore this pud. I hope you won't mind too much :0)
    Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the new look!
    My mum has her mothers cook book that has recipes from some time spent in service. I am ever hopeful of getting my mitts on it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want what you've got and I'm not just talking about the pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Christine6:47 pm GMT

    Hi Sue, I've been enjoying your blog for a while but only now leaving a comment. This pudding looks delicious, I shall definitely try making it. My grandmother in Wales used to make a cake/bread called barabrith and I love to make that in her memory and introduce friends here in Texas to it. Thanks for this recipe and so many others that you have shared.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The pud looks delicious and nostalgic- what a pudding history there is there.

    Then I read those last four lines and cried.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My goodness, that was a blast from the past for me! My mum used to make this pineapple pudding when we were kids.
    She died two and a half years ago aged 91yrs so it is the right era.
    My mum had a little black notebook of hand written recipes from her mother.
    I have no idea what happened to that notebook but how I wish I had it today.
    Also, the grated veg fried into a cake.
    We had that regularly at home.
    Only grated potato though and yes, it was so deliciously crispy. We called it mock fish and put salt and vinegar on it!
    I suppose in reality it is a kind of rosti but I am from the north east (although now living in Spain) and we knew nothing so posh as rosti.
    Love your blog and am a keen reader.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger