Apple Well

Monday, 11 October 2010

Have you ever made an apple well?
No? Well here's how.



Take one nice shiny apple. The bigger the better.


Slice the stalk end off -about an inch thick (less if your apple is little).


Next cut two pieces from either side of the core.


Twiddle your apple around and take off two more pieces so that you have a square tower of core in the middle. Does that make sense? It's clearer in the photo I hope.


Now, this is the bit I always have to think about. You need to twiddle it around again and cut down the tower further to make two more pieces. Can you see? You should have six pieces of apple plus the top.


Finally remove the core tower by making a v cut. Chuck the core away -on the compost heap for preference :o)


Now you can rebuild your apple with the apple bricks you have made. Fill the well with raisins, sultanas or nuts. I've used almonds and sultanas here.


Put the lid on. A nice surprise for a child. Even one who has failed to clean her teeth yet again and who has gone to school with a bread and butter sandwich because rather than put the salami in the sandwich she chose to eat it. I rather wish I'd put squashed flies in her apple well now.

Not really.

Make an apple well for your little darling today!




16 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea! Thanks. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:18 pm BST

    Hi Sue,
    What a brilliant idea. I`ll be trying that one.
    I made your recipe for Carrot and Coconut Soup, oh boy it was delicious. I`m of to make your choc brownies now to take to my knitting group tomorrow night. Of course i`ll test a small piece tomorrow with my coffee!!
    Love from Carole from Rossendale xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliant. I've cored apples before and filled the middle with raisins but they all fall out....
    if it makes you feel better my youngest little darling would be getting squashed flies today too, as he went AWOL to film club after school so we thought he was lost....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic Sue. Now wheres my apple?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OLA !! ADOREI SEU BLOG. E ESTA RECEITA DE MAÇA QUE DELICIA,POIS ADORO TUDO QUE LEVA MAÇA.

    SEU BLOG É MUITO FOFO.
    UM GDE ABRAÇO JUSSARA

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea..Aren't little ones wonderfully mischievious?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I'd seen everything! I might make myself one. We used to cut a cube out of the top of a blood orange and push a sugar lump in to suck the juice through. So good for your teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brilliant idea (sadly our school is nut free so may have to think of an alternative). By the way does the apple still go brown where it has been cut?
    (Oh and I so know the not-brushing-teeth thing! Is it related to "rearranging your bedroom 6 times in the last 2 days" by any chance?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also have a little girl who drives us nuts each morning as we try and get ready for school on time... she seems to be permanently on her own (late) schedule... reminds me a bit of, um, oh, yeah, ME... :-D

    The apple is a nice idea for such a girl... who also takes forever to eat an apple that's not cut... :-)

    Caz

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are funny, that made me laugh, flies in the apple. Kids!!! :)
    I like that apple well, where do you get all these ideas from??
    Hugs Sandi x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two Wednesdays my daughter's school is also nut-free due to her peanut allergy. Fill your apple well with whatever you please - seeds, cheese cubes, smarties.

    I've never kept one long enough for it to go brown, but I imagine if tightly wrapped it may be alright.

    Sandi, I get these ideas from other people of course :o) The apple well was from a book I used to borrow from the library as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2:12 pm BST

    What a great idea with the apple - extra goodies and all of it nutritious as well as nice to eat!

    In reply to driftwood whose son went AWOL. When I was 11 I went off swimming with a friend after school without telling my Mum. She was frantic! To make things worse, I didn't go straight home - I went to a family friends house; the idea being that when asked I could tell my mum this. Plan backfired though as my poor worried mum had gone there to see if they had seen me. I did get a telling off!
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving that idea, may suprise my 3 year old tomorrow! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, my kiddos would love that!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello!
    That's a fabulous idea, Ive not seen that done before and now Im itching to try it out for my small one!
    Thank you for the inspiring post!

    Much love
    Julia x x x

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger