Saturday Kitchen

Saturday, 18 September 2010



Saturday always seems to be my busy day in the kitchen. Tomorrow we are going to an airshow for which we need a picnic and a meal ready to heat up on our return.

First up was a batch of my favourite cocoa brownies to take with us for our picnic. I love these for their economy (no chocolate) ,ease and lusciousness.
Then today's lunch. Carrot and coconut soup. This is one of my children's favourites which pleases me as it's a great way to get a substantial amount of veg into them. It is mildly spiced and creamy. Sometimes I make it with sweet potato or pumpkin instead of carrots. I used chicken stock from my freezer which I made from the carcass of a roast chicken. 
These pears were a gift from my friend Carol. They are Black Worcester pears. Their skins get much darker as they mature hence their name. You can find them on the Worcestershire coat of arms. References to them abound in this county but few people actually eat them. they are as hard as nails. Much like a quince in fact. You must cook them.


I baked them in a low oven for three hours in perry with sugar and cinnamon.

We ate them warm with clotted cream. They were delicious.

The pears weren't the only food gift I received this week. Louise sent me this beautiful swag of homegrown chillies. Isn't it gorgeous?


Thank you Carol and Louise :o)

All that cooking has barely given me a chance to read the new cookbook the postman brought me this morning.

It promises to be a wonderful read, packed with useful recipes and information. It is a celebration of the female cook, the woman who cooks for her family day in and day out, who needs to please husbands, children and herself, who needs to consider budget, time and nutrition with every meal she makes, much as I have been doing today.

::

A word about my weight loss.
You may have noticed that I have ditched the weight loss page. I haven't given up attempting to lose weight at all, I've just got bored of writing about it. It is a dull subject after all. You can be sure I will let you know if I have any significant progress to report.

20 comments:

  1. Mmmmm mmmmmmm!!! Loverly food. Just need to make that soup - funny I was planning on a veg soup for tomorrow. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh and love that recipe notebook. Where did you get it from??

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummmmmmmm, everything looks delish, not only do you make beautiful food, you make beautiful craft as well.
    Don't the chillies look fantastic with the gingham ribbon, they will make winter a lot more cheery.
    Sandi x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mouthwatering as always Sue. You re so welcome I am glad you will make use of them. Mine are even more pretty now they have dried. cheers Lou

    ReplyDelete
  6. So organised. I wish you ran classed on that!!!

    Hope you have a really lovely day.

    Colette xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sue I note you also no longer have your recipes for the week page - which I really enjoyed. Was it too much effort - I wouldn't blame you if it was but just wanted to let you know I appreciated it whilst it was there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seem to spend forever cooking each day (not that I mind) but I think I'll take a leaf out of your book and make big batches to freeze for the week. Really like the idea of pears and perry, yum yum.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your carrot and coconut soup sounds absolutely gorgeous and it will definitely be one that I will try out very soon :O) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. perfect... I am off to make the soup and brownies right now.. and you've given me ideas for what to do with my own increasing supply of fresh chillies thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nooooo - no more cookbooks - I have a Cookbook "habit"! I have been devouring (mentally) Nigella Lawson's "Kitchen" this week, but cannot allow myself to buy anymore. Mind you I did feel better when I learn Ms. Lawson has over 4000 cookbooks! I only have...actually I don't know how many I've got - perhaps I should go count them! (There aren't a lot, I just don't know how many there are!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pears sound delicious, you have been industrious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sue,

    Thank you for you comment on my blog. I didn't realise that you were a POer, funny old world. Your Saturday sounds like the one I would have liked, unfortunately I am on night duty and managing to do not very much other than work and sleep and be grumpy. Desperate to blog, because I've been getting a jam on - maybe next week. I'm posting mostly to say that you are very naughty. I've (sort of) weaned myself off of the cookbook habit, but Rose Prince is my favourite food writer and tomorrow is pay day. Cheers Sue!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum yum yum all this food, you're making me hungry!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear, dribbling on the keyboard again looking at all that lovely food!
    I was reading an article by Rose Prince about her new book. Perhaps you'll let us know what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Re your oven "under baking", mine was doing that.......... then the element went! Fortunately spare parts still available, now I'm having to use a lower setting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooohhh such yummies - I'm off to check out those cocoa brownies.

    Have a lovely day,

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sue. I haven't been able to comment for ages because of technical difficulties but I'm back now. I must say it was a pleasure to be a 'lurker' on your blog. I do love coming here. You are going from strength to strength. Aoife x

    ReplyDelete
  20. just to add I made the brownies and they are delicious even better than my best ever brownies recipe... and so easy thankyou.

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger