Vintage Granny Squares

Monday, 9 August 2010

It's about time there was more crochet on this blog and less food don't you think?

These are my vintage granny squares. I made them this weekend.




I'm really very pleased with this colour combination. It isn't what I originally had in mind at all. The white and red yarns were not part of the plan to begin with, but I saw this beautiful granny square blanket  by Teawagon and was struck by how effective the addition of white and red was and what a lovely vintage feel they gave to the blanket.

This morning I went shopping for more yarn and as I took my little bundle of yarn snippets from my Cath Kidston bag I noticed how closely they matched it.


The vintage vibe is definitely there.

 I have seven colours and the squares have seven rounds, a round in each colour. I'm making them in pairs, one the reverse of the other.

See?

All the yarns were ones I had in my stash and are all double knitting acrylic yarn except for the red which is Rowan Pure Wool DK. I tried to get an acrylic red to match (to keep the costs down) but they were all too orangey-red. the Rowan red is a lovely dark blood red (the photo below doesn't show it very well). I'm using a 4mm hook.


My vintage grannies are going to be a blanket for my daughter's bed. If she doesn't like it then it can be a camping blanket. I think she will like it though. I hope so :o)

20 comments:

  1. Wow, you must be fast with the crochet hook. I love the colours and I'm sure your daughter will love the blanket. Look forward to seeing the final result.

    Anne :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely, well done! I really like that you have made pairs, one the reverse of the other, I hope you'll share a photo of the finished blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:08 pm BST

    Thanks for posting this! It is just the color combinations I've been trying to come up with for cushion covers. You've made my day!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee I wish I could produce a finished product that looked like that!What do you do with all the dangling ends?
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's going to be a really lovely blanket. I have exactly the same issues with photographing red - my camera just never shows it anywhere near true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helsie, I weave the ends in as I go, holding them along the back of my work so that the stitches enclose them. The final end gets sewn in with a needle. I've learnt from experience to do it as I go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm a knitter who can't crochet. I'd love to be able to do a granny square. You have a beautiful sense of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous granny squares. I am sure she will love it. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. i so so long to make a granny square blankie for my daughters bed - the only stumbling block being I have no idea how to crochet! Any links to a good tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good work Sue! That will be a beauty that your Daughter will love. Keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Positively gorgeous - honestly those colours are fab.

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really gorgeous Sue , I love the colour cominations Cath K would be proud ! xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. If your daughter doesn't like it, would you mind sending it to me please? It would cover my sofa just beautifully!! Oh go on... xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous7:23 pm BST

    Your granny squares are lovely, the colours go so well together. I'm always interested in how other people put colours together.

    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  15. Being totally lacking in the ability to crochet I am lost in admiration of your granny squares. I'm always happy to read about food though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sue, just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your blog and Oh how I wish I could crochet! Are you up to giving lessons???
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely stunning. Your eye for colour is outstanding. I love that CK messenger bag :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made one blanket similar...and was inspired by the colors and the vintage look....it looks so vintage...

    ReplyDelete
  19. These granny squares are beautiful! I haven't done much crocheting, and when I make squares I always use one colour for the entire square because I'm not sure how to change for each row without having threads everywhere. Yours are gorgeous and so neat. How do you switch the colours? Are they all tied in at the back?
    Really love the colours you have used, and like the idea of the colour order reversed to make pairs.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jen, thank you and welcome. Yes, you just tie a new colour on and hold the ends at the back of your work as you crochet the next round so that you enclose the ends as you go -saves a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome friendly comments and if you ask a question I will respond directly here. I also respond in a somewhat random fashion to other comments. If I don't respond to your comment it is because I can't think of anything to say beyond 'thank you so much' and not for any other reason.

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger