Rillettes

Wednesday, 14 July 2010


It's that time again. I was dreading it a bit but I'm happy to report a 2 lb loss!  :o) Another 3lb to go and I will be at my first target.

I have been baking for the children but I'm steering clear of things like brownies and going for flapjacks instead. I  find them easier to resist than a brownie. I'm not snacking in the evening which was my worse time for unplanned noshing.

What I haven't been doing is cooking low calorie meals or avoiding fat. I am determined to do this not by changing what I eat but by changing how much I eat. With that in mind I'm going to share a recipe which might surprise you :o)

Rillettes


Rillettes are a delicious French speciality made from very fatty pork. So if you are fatphobic or don't eat pork I apologise. The recipe I use is from this wonderful little book The Pauper's Cookbook by Jocasta Innes which has many wonderful tasty yet thrifty recipes but no pictures. Oddly I find the cookbooks I use most are the ones without pictures.

What you do is buy a couple of pounds (1kg) of pork belly rashers. Cut the rind off but leave the fat on.
Cut the pork into one inch chunks, throw them in an ovenproof casserole dish with a lid (Dutch oven) with a couple of bay leaves, 3 or 4 cloves, some thyme and 8 fl oz water. Cook for 4 hours at 140°c (275°F).

Drain all the fat off the meat into a bowl (you will need it later). Put the meat into a strong bowl and using the end of a rolling pin pound it into a uniform paste. This is easier than it sounds. Season with salt, pepper, two crushed cloves of garlic and quatre ├ępices if you have them (French spice blend).

Next put the meat back in the pot and cook for another half an hour without the fat. Pack into a bowl or little ramekins- I used a pudding basin, and then pour over all the reserved fat. I think it is supposed to settle on top of the meat to a depth of a cm or so. Mine just soaked into the meat. It was none the worse for that though. The results were delicious. I ate it for lunch with oatcakes two days running, then we all had it for lunch with toast and tomatoes (cornichons would have been nice too). There was some left for C's sandwiches the next day. I also roasted a joint of pork at the weekend which I ate crackling and all. All that fat and still a 2 lb weight loss. But no snacking.





Slowly does it.

13 comments:

  1. That's a brilliant result on your weightloss - well done!! Would love to have a go at a bit of rillettes but I know that once I started eating it I wouldn't stop til it was finished! Weight loss this end is crap - stopped eating all rubbish stuff and am exercising 30 mins a day and my weight has bleedin' gone up 2 lbs!!! Go figure!!! Not helping my mood at all at the mo :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. I really should join you in your weight loss quest. I have never been this heavy and I feel so fat and unfit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh thanks for the recipe - I've been wanting to make pate but this sounds so much easier.

    Well done on the weightloss - I 'forgot' to weigh myself this morning

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done with the weight loss. I've finally had a loss this week too - .7kg which is not quite 2 lb. I'm trying to live a normal life and build some sensible eating into it but still eat out and have a social life too. Not easy but I've decided I'll be happy with a kilo a month - that's 12 kg in 12 months. I'll be happy with that .
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on the weight loss. I like your idea of portion control rather than eating bland 'diet' food. I am on the last leg of my weightloss plan and I've had to really keep a close eye on fat content in order to get past the dreaded plateau... 7lbs to go though. The challenge will be keeping it off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your support girls and well done to those also losing weight. Sorry you're struggling Ruth -maybe you're building muscle with all your exercise.

    A notice to spammers - I don't care about your fad diets, wonder diet foods or slimming drugs thank you. If you bothered to read my posts you will see that weight loss is possible without spending money on your junk. Any spam is deleted as soon as I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on your weight loss! I believe that when we eat fat it is satisfying so we aren't so hungry...that has been my experience. You have such self control being such a good cook and still being able to lose the weight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really going to have to join in this weight loss Wednesday idea. I've got all the lovely stuff growing in the allotment and garden and still eat rubbish!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done, that is great news! I don't think dieting works when you make too many changes (cutting things out etc) because a healthy diet is one that is varied and balanced, so good on you for looking at how much you eat rather than cutting the fat out x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done to all of you who have lost this week. Sympathy to all those who are struggling. You are all doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fab news about the weight loss - you're doing so well.
    Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am quite new to your blog and absolutely love it! Well done with the weight loss xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perhaps I shouldn't do this on a weight-loss post, but I've just found this recipe and I thought it might be of interest to you - http://thecakedcrusader.blogspot.com/2010/05/quince-cake.html
    Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger