Redcurrant Cordial

Since May my redcurrants have been turning....






....into rubies.


Time to pick.


One bush doesn't yield a huge amount. I usually make a few jars of jelly but this year I thought I'd make some cordial - red Ribena. Easy peasy to make. Put the currants, stalks and all, in a  pan with some water (600ml to every 1kg of currants) and cook gently till soft. Pour the lot into a jelly bag or similar and leave to drip overnight.


Put the juice into a pan with sugar (700g to every litre of juice), heat gently to dissolve the sugar.




Pour into sterilised bottles. It keeps for several months. Mine won't last that long as I didn't make much and my children seem to love homemade drinks. Poor deprived things I don't buy soft drinks not even fruit juice.


Delicious diluted with fizzy water, and I imagine even better diluted with white wine.


You can make cordials with other berries blackcurrants being an obvious choice. Rhubarb, damsons and plums are good too. I might well make this throughout the year using whatever is in season. I'm sure frozen fruit would work too. Check out The River Cottage Handbook on Preserves by Pam Corbin for more info on 'beena making. 

By the way if you have ever wondered why Ribena is so called, the latin name for currants is ribes

Comments

  1. Ooh, what a fascinating and colourful post! I loved your photo's, so luscious and summery. Are red currants hard to grow? I tried growing rasberries but didn't have a lot of success. Anyway, thanks for the recipe, looks delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooh I may have to try this with the blackcurrants from my parents' garden... they usually give them to me to make jam, but I don't eat that much jam so this may be a better choice - thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delish! Your productivity is scaring me...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh a wonderful post and beautiful photos! My Belgian Grandmother used to make redcurrant jelly. I loved it! I still have a full jar which she made around 30 years ago. I have it as a souvenir.
    We will soon start converting part of our back garden into a vegetable plot. I think I'd like to grow redcurrants too.
    Have a lovely weekend
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading this post has given me powerful flashbacks to the Rosehip Syrup that I was given as a child. It was supposed to be the most efficient way to get Vit C but I suspect that it was mainly sugar. Never mind...it was a pretty colour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sound delicious. Might try it with blackcurrants if i can beg some from my dads garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post, very colourful. Will give this a go too as a change from elderflower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel I have/am living a very sheltered life, never had elderflower or ribena, well when I come over I will have to try elderflower.
    Lovely posts Sue, you are a domestic goddess for sure.
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:31 am BST

    thanx 4 all the great ideas !!! it really helped

    ReplyDelete
  10. just made some of this it is very nice!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great jane! Glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous colour - they are like fruity jewels!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Quince Tree, I spied this over on Flickr, and now I've added you to my sidebar so I kan drool over your wonderful food!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just picked a basket of red currants today with my children, off to try your cordial recipe, thanks so much for the post and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:14 pm GMT

    Its lіke you read my minԁ! You apρear to knοw а lоt about thіs, like yοu wгotе the
    booκ in іt or something. I think that you cаn
    dо ωith ѕоme pics tо drive the
    message home a bіt, but іnstеаd of thаt, this is excellent blοg.
    An eхcellеnt read. ӏ'll definitely be back.

    Feel free to surf to my site augenoperation

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous11:14 pm GMT

    Its like yοu read my mіnd! You appear to know a
    lot about this, like you ωrote the book
    in it or something. Ι think that you can do ωith sοme pics to ԁгive thе meѕsage home a bit, but instead of that,
    this is excellent blog. An excellent read. I'll definitely be back.

    my page - augenoperation
    My web site > jeteye.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous4:13 am GMT

    Αn infοrmation anԁ inѕtructіonаl site for thе home pіzza cоοk.
    From theгe we moved on tо dіnnеr, a
    staggeгing sρread of mouth-watering оρtionѕ prepaгed foг us by loсаl restauгant lеgend 5 &
    10. (only beсause theу moaned about eating their veggieѕ).


    my weblog - pizza pan alexandria va

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment