The Quince Tree in July

Sunday, 25 July 2010

 I almost forgot. Today is the 25th and that means it is time to show you The Quince Tree again. Here she is.


The fruit are very difficult to see at the moment. Most are high up and they are well camouflaged amongst the leaves. Here's one I managed to reach, look how it is covered in down.



The down will stay until I pick them and rub it off. Beneath the down the fruit will gradually turn yellow. They will be four or five times as big as this by the end of October.

My garden is sadly lacking in flowers at the moment. Oh it is very green but other colours are few and far between. There are signs of colour to come though.


Tomatoes ripening.



My cultivated blackberry. Thornless and bountiful. I get loads of fruit off this. We prefer blackberries cooked so I pick as they ripen and freeze them immediately to use in pies and crumbles. I had such a poor yield of blackcurrant jam this year I think I will make blackberry jam when I have enough in the freezer.



This in an Egremont Russet apple. It is just a small tree but last year I got about thirty apples off it. This year I can find only two.



My crab apple on the other hand is absolutely laden. This branch is so heavy it is vertical with its tip about a foot from the ground. These sour little apples will turn scarlet by the end of summer. That's when I swing into full scale jelly production. The variety is John Downie.

My raspberries are producing a handful of fruit about once a week, but the majority of the canes that sprout up all over my garden are Autumn fruiting varieties. They will fruit from September right into November.

My currant bushes have all been stripped bare now. We are enjoying them gently cooked with sugar.




The days of late summer will find my kitchen filled with fruity boilings and layer of sticky over everything. I can't wait.

: :

 I began this blog on January 24th this year and here I am six months later. That certainly went fast. I am enjoying it so so much. Writing about the everyday bits of my life, the things I make and cook , photographing them and creating a blog post gives me such a thrill . As does reading all the lovely bloggers who are doing similar things and living similar lives. I really believe it validates the way I have chosen to live my life. I know that sounds daft but its how I feel. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to the next six months.



15 comments:

  1. Thornless and Bountiful sounds like my kind of Blackberry :0) I remember going out to pick them one year and getting rather heavily stung by some ferocious wasps.

    Wishing you all the best for the next 6 months (and beyond) with your blog - I love visiting.

    Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My quinces are also amazing this year and I cannot wait to make delicious quince cheese in the autumn. The other fruit trees have suffered from our drought (I live in Bedfordshire) so there are so very few apples and no plums at all. On the other hand, I have never had so many strawberries so..it all dovetails! Really like your blog, a bit of an inspiration! Check mine out if you want. I just started it in July and its called HomemadebyBaya.blogspot.com. I'd love some feedback! In the meanwhile, I'll carry on checking you out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a beautiful blog - can't believe it's only six months old - you've achieved so much. congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your post today. Lots of colourful and things to look forward to. Isn't it amazing how quickly the time goes. Looking forward to the next 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so looking forward to your next 6 months as I have enjoyed everything you have posted so far, with beautiful photos and a bounty of inspirtation. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel much the same as you do about blogging. I've nearly been at it for a year and have got so, so much from it.
    One of the best things is learning first hand how people in other countries live and I hope they are learning what life is like here in Australia too. Of course Australia is so big that things change from state to state depending on the climate.
    I love to hear about your garden, the food you grow and the recipes you use. Keep up the good work.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sue, gosh only 6 months old, you have a great blog and I love reading all that you post, I'm with Helsie regarding learning about one and another, it is such a lovely way to meet new friends.
    I have just made another batch of 'the' bisc's, I am totally hooked on them.
    Your quince tree reminds me so much of my beautiful grandma, she isn't with us anymore, she had a quince tree and used to make little pots of jam, I loved it, I sometimes buy quince paste and it takes me back to good times with her.
    Sandi xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done you. We kinda started at the same time and you have definately shown me the way. Your blog is ace and you truely deserve the support you get. Fab job Sue, keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh you have so much loveliness to look forward to. As we only moved into the house we currently rent a few weeks ago, we only had time to plant some runner beans, courgettes, tomatoes and beetroot - but the neighbours pear tree is laden with fruit, some of it hanging over our fence, so we hope we might get a few of those (fingers crossed) and next year we plan to grow much more!

    Glad you are enjoying blogging - it really is a wonderful way to meet new people and share the joys in your life, isn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks great in your garden - I have only 1 apple left on my apple tree this year, there were more but too many vigourous kicks of the football by my two sons have knocked them off!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful yumminess..ive never had quince.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love quince jelly! Definitely up there in my favourites "jams"!! What a lovely garden you have! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What delicious things you have in your garden. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all so much for your kind words. Blogging is indeed a fabulous way to 'meet' people with similar interests and I am so very glad to have met you all :o)

    The fruit I've mentioned thus far on the blog is all I grow. I'm not really a gardener, I forget to water, weed and deal with pests but fruit seems to look after itself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sue ~ I love your blog and am looking forward to the next 6 months too! You've certainly achieved a lot over the last 6 months and you can be proud of the fact that your blog is so lovely :O)x

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger