Welcome Merry May

Saturday, 1 May 2010


My garden on May Day morning. So green and lush I could almost hear it growing as I pegged out my washing.


A poem for May Day, Gerard Manley Hopkins' Spring which perfectly describes this spring morning in my garden especially the second line about the weeds shooting long and lovely and lush.

Spring

NOTHING is so beautiful as spring --
When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush;
Thrush's eggs look little low heavens, and thrush
Through the echoing timber does so rinse and wring
The ear, it strikes like lightnings to hear him sing;
The glassy peartree leaves and blooms, they brush
The descending blue; that blue is all in a rush
With richness; the racing lambs too have fair their fling.

What is all this juice and all this joy?
A strain of the earth's sweet being in the beginning
In Eden garden. -- Have, get, before it cloy,
Before it cloud, Christ, lord, and sour with sinning,
Innocent mind and Mayday in girl and boy,
Most, O maid's child, thy choice and worthy the winning.




If you don't know Hopkins I think you'll be surprised to find he was a Victorian. His poetry was innovative and unlike any of his contemporaries. If you like Dylan Thomas then I think you will like Hopkins. Hopkins was a jesuit priest and his poetry reflects his faith. For a critique of this poem go here.

Enjoy a merry May Day.



5 comments:

  1. Doesn't your garden look great on this Merry May Day? I love the pic of the water droplets on the leaves.

    Enjoy the rest of the Bank Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:13 pm BST

    Great pictures! And love the name, what inspired you to name your blog after the quince tree?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon,
    I have a quince tree growing in my garden. I planted it shortly after we moved to this house about 11 years ago. I love quinces, they are unusual and beautiful. They are exotic yet historically a very English fruit. The Elizabethans and Stuarts grew them and there are many old old recipes using quinces. Just keep reading until October-November when I shall be making lots of quince delicacies :o)

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful May Day display. Love the water on the leaves. Thanks for popping into my garden.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully fresh and green. I have a love hate relationship with green, love it outdoors but I don't like green decorating or furnishing in the house.

    I made your bread recipe yesterday - a success. I usually do the no knead version, but using my Kenwood this was just as easy AND my loaves look like loaves!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome friendly comments and if you ask a question I will respond directly here. I also respond in a somewhat random fashion to other comments. If I don't respond to your comment it is because I can't think of anything to say beyond 'thank you so much' and not for any other reason.

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger